1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a FREE Account to post and unlock tons of features!

How does a P split coil sound with a MusicMan style humbucker?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sgroh87, Mar 23, 2014.

1. Sgroh87

Sgroh87

Dec 4, 2012
    DFW, Texas
    I'm thinking about building a custom Carvin bass in the next few months and I really want a P bass tone, so I was playing around with the bass builder for the PB5 five string P clone. Under the pickups section I saw that there was an option for a MM style humbucker at the bridge with an active/passive toggle. I like the sound of a Ray more than I do a Jazz, so instead of an added J pickup in was thinking about adding the big humbucker instead. Any thoughts on this setup? Anyone else have one like this?

2. Someone around here has picture (That I foolishly didn't save) that shows that the MM humbucker (bridge position) is actually somewhere in between the Fender P pickup placement and a fender J (or humbucker) bridge pickup. If you really wanted a ray sound you would need to make sure that it has the correct pickup placement and you would more than likely need to install a Ray styled Preamp.

With all of that said, I personally like a humbucker in the fender bridge position more than a typical single coil. However I can't comment on a Ray in the fender bridge position as I haven't heard one, however, I do like the ray pickup in the ray position with the Split P in the fender P position. Hopefully someone sees my post and posts the picture for you that shows the actual Ray position compared to the Fender pickup positions.

3. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

to hide this ad and more.