How does a P split coil sound with a MusicMan style humbucker?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sgroh87, Mar 23, 2014.

1. Sgroh87

Sgroh87

I'm thinking about building a custom Carvin bass in the next few months and I really want a P bass tone, so I was playing around with the bass builder for the PB5 five string P clone. Under the pickups section I saw that there was an option for a MM style humbucker at the bridge with an active/passive toggle. I like the sound of a Ray more than I do a Jazz, so instead of an added J pickup in was thinking about adding the big humbucker instead. Any thoughts on this setup? Anyone else have one like this?

2. LanOsb133

LanOsb133

Someone around here has picture (That I foolishly didn't save) that shows that the MM humbucker (bridge position) is actually somewhere in between the Fender P pickup placement and a fender J (or humbucker) bridge pickup. If you really wanted a ray sound you would need to make sure that it has the correct pickup placement and you would more than likely need to install a Ray styled Preamp.

With all of that said, I personally like a humbucker in the fender bridge position more than a typical single coil. However I can't comment on a Ray in the fender bridge position as I haven't heard one, however, I do like the ray pickup in the ray position with the Split P in the fender P position. Hopefully someone sees my post and posts the picture for you that shows the actual Ray position compared to the Fender pickup positions.