How does a trade generally work?

Discussion in 'Classifieds Usage Discussion and Help' started by qazwsx, Mar 26, 2014.

1. qazwsx

qazwsx

Do traders use an outside site like ebay? Or do they just send the money and hope that a bass comes in the mail?

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    We have a feedback system here, so it is wise to read the feedback before doing a deal. If the other person doesn't have any or much feedback, read through their past posts to see what they're like as a person, and whether they seem serious and sensible. It is also smart to ask for references of other people they have done business with, and to ask for a phone number so you can actually talk to them about the gear and get a feel for how they sound as a person.

Talkbass deals are not done via any outside website (aside from the payment site like Paypal).

3. Fiset

Fiset I do a good impression of myself

Agreed.

I've traded a couple of high end basses and talking with the other person was an absolute must. We both needed to be comfortable with the deal and by talking it out we were able to give each other additional information so that we each felt good about moving forward with the transaction.

I've also traded lesser expensive items where good feedback is really all I need to see before pulling the trigger on a trade.

4. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Having a fairly high profile on the forums, I started out getting the odd refusal but mostly no problems offering the asking price less a few dollars plus the NZ shipping on pedals.

Recently I got a nice deluxe Fender bass, confident of the seller's feedback. I paid paypal. It would have been simple for me to claim fraud and disappear, not easy for mods to track me down out here. Mods have tracked down US ratbags though.

5. Register to disable this ad