How does my band sound with horns instead of guitar?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by squeally dan, Feb 2, 2014.

1. squeally dan

squeally dan Supporting Member

I've been playing in a dance/wedding band for several years. About a year ago our bass player quit. He was also great on hitting the harmony vocals. We couldn't decide on a bassist so eventually I ended up "filling in" on bass. Here we are a year later and I'm still on bass. We decided to recruit a horn section and are still working that out. We have had more gigs than ever even without guitar. The keyboardist and I have been trying to pickup some of the backup vocals. Now we are wondering if we really need guitar.

These are two recording from a gig we played outside about 8 months ago. The horns need to be eq'd and don't sound quite right. Also, on this particular night, we only had a sax and trombone. I was still very new to bass at this point and I think I have improved since. The singer/drummer called for me to take a bass solo in Boogie shoes, which I wasn't expecting, so try to ignore that part. The keyboardist was also playing some horn parts since we didn't have the entire horn section that night. Remember it is a very rough mix.

What do you think? Do we need guitar?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014
  2. spz8

spz8

Probably not, unless you want to further crowd the mix. It can definitely work if you find a really tasteful guitarist, but why bother, it sounds great. :)

3. squeally dan

squeally dan Supporting Member

Thanks. I'm thinking the same thing.