1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

How does one actually know what the cat is feeling?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by JAUQO III-X, Jan 4, 2013.

1. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    This is a legit question.

I ask this question based off of a tb members comment who described how a cat feels as it's being euthanized.
  2. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME! Supporting Member

3. Relic

Relic Cow are you? Supporting Member

I just responded to your post in the other thread but it's a neat question.
    My answer - we don't. We can only offer a best guess, which is probably right but there's no real way to know for sure.
  4. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

You don't.
    Empathy lets you somewhat experience other living being's feelings but only through the filter of your own reaction grid.
    What you feel is basically how you'd feel in the same situation.
    It is particularly true for cats, animals that naturally hide their emotions.
  5. JFOC

JFOC

6. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X

Disclosures:
    Thanks guys. And again this is a legit question I'm asking.

People are so quick to describe what the cat is feeling and going through but does one really know.

It's like how can a human who has never had their veins burned with acid really know how it feels to some one who has?
  7. Ziltoid

Ziltoid Supporting Member

It is possible to witness and even measure pain by scientific means. I remember reading an article about researcher doing mri's while heating people's arm. Between that, heart rate, skin conductance and EEG one can most likely tell if there's pain.
  8. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick Supporting Member

Mammals with complex nervous systems very similar to humans... Feelings...emotions...anthropomorphism

Could be a great Lobby thread :)
  9. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X

Disclosures:
  10. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike Supporting Member

I would say unless the cat would know it's going to die it wouldn't much different than a human going under for surgery.

I Think the cat would be nervous though.

I've had a handful of surgeries and I get nervous and don't like going under . If they killed me I doubt I would even know ....until I was on the other side.
  11. placedesjardins

placedesjardins

Well, cat euthanization can be done with less pain and be less inexpensive with decapitation. It sounds inhumane, but if you think about it, death is instant wheras an injected drug takes longer.
  12. AaronMB

AaronMB

I'd a cat that was sick and in pain...when it was time I got to hold him. It took but a short while, but in the time that 'it' started flowing in his veins and the time that it took over, he was definitely happier as he became more relaxed - and in less pain, no doubt. He purred, stretched and attempted to nuzzle as he had done when he was healthier.

Do I know what he felt? No. But I knew the behavior of that 16 year old cat well enough to recognize relief when it came for him.
  13. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Casting out the nines Supporting Member

Well, the reality is that no one can ever really know how anyone other than themselves feels. Two people who have nearly identical experiences will always feel slightly differently and having someone explain in words how they feel isn't the same as having the experience.

So an attempt to discern how a cat feels about a circumstance or experience is simply a greater extrapolation than an attempt to discern how another human being feels.
  14. Relic

No, it's actually not, as morbid as it sounds. Death is quick - but I believe that it can take up to a minute to actually die. :eek:

"Instant" would be vaporization or being blown to tiny bits.
  15. Relic

Well, I mentioned this before....., then promptly deleted it because it felt weird posting but what the hell I'll do it again:

From a human being perspective, I was kind of "euthanized" before and it wasn't bad at all. :p
    Seriously - It sounds corny but I had heart surgery a few years back. I was scared as hell knowing what was coming until they sedated me, then I felt absolutely great - relaxed, even got a few laughs in. I remember them telling me next that they're going to put me under for the surgery, so they injected something into the line and *poof* I was out cold.
    At that point I might as well have been dead, (they did actually stop my heart to work on it) I wouldn't have known a thing no matter what they did to me.

So anyway, having gone through that..? Nah, I don't believe that a euthanized animal suffers at all. I'm thinking it's probably quite similar to what happened to me. In which case, all things considered if you have to die, that ain't a bad way to go.
  16. sobie18

sobie18

When I was trapping animals on my airfield @ Andersen AFB, Guam, I dropped quite a few cats off at the shelter. Unfortunately, all of the cats were put down on the spot (too wild/feral for taming). I got to hold the little net/stick while they injected the blue Kool-Aid (as I called it) into their body. The cat just slowed down and eventually just died without any struggles or meowing.
  17. Marial

Marial Proud Papa-to-be Supporting Member

I have no idea how my cat felt as they injected the poison into her IV while I held her. I know that at 21 years old she was already in terrible pain from kidney and general system failure, that's why we elected to put her down in the first place.

Was she scared? Probably, animals have the fight or flight reflex the same as humans do. Ever spooked a cat and seen it jump four feet straight up or climb most of the way up a vertical wall?

Do I know how she felt? No. Do I have a pretty good idea? Yeah, I think I do. I'm just glad I got to hold her as she went. I was the one constant during her entire life and she wasn't alone at the end.
  18. AmpedSilence

AmpedSilence

I've never experienced an animal being euthanized before.

how do you know the animal, in this case cat, is scared? Wouldn't it be like any other visit to the Vet?
  19. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME! Supporting Member

I think in the general sense, a lot of animals get scared with every visit to the vet.
    I know that my cats freaked out whenever they were taken.
    Its usually pretty easy to tell when a cat is scared.
    Body language. After getting familiar with them you can ascertain what mood their in by reading their tails.

http://www.petplace.com/cats/what-is-your-cat-saying-reading-your-cat-s-body-language/page1.aspx
  20. tastybasslines

tastybasslines I'll hump your leg Supporting Member

Putting my childhood dog down was and still is one of the saddest yet most memorable moments of my life. She was in pain, and we knew the end was near. Ebony, my black lab, showed no fear whatsoever. I cried tears onto her face and sobbed uncontrollably as I hugged her and let it all out, in our last moments on the vet table together. She licked my face. Makes me so sad, even 16 years later.

I am sure I was in more pain than my dog was at what was about to happen that day, and looking back, I'm really proud that I allowed myself to grieve in such a raw manner. :crying: