How does someone find the market value of a bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by campbems, Feb 5, 2014.

1. campbems

campbems Supporting Member

I was wondering is there a way to get the average market value of bass guitars. For instance I have a 2007 Ernie Ball Stingray 5HH and can't seem to find the average value of these instruments. Shape is Excellent. Is there a site that gives that information?
  2. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

Well you can be a supporting member here and just ask, or you can just browse ebay and TB classifieds for relevant sales and get an average. Since only supporting members can do price quotes, this thread may get deleted.
  3. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

The best way to get the true market value of a guitar is to do what every pawn shop and guitar store in the country does to price gear - go to the "sold" section of ebay and see what those basses are selling for. Or, for an off-the-cuff value, take what you paid for it and deduct 40%.
  4. pfox14

pfox14

Looks like the ones that sold on eBay were in the $800-1000 range.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Sid Fang

Sid Fang Reformed Fusion Player Supporting Member

By selling it.
  7. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

In conversation with a music store owner about trading in a bass, he told me the store policy is to check eBay for the going prices and then offer half that in trade value. I'm not sure that's solid gold information, but doing a search on eBay, putting the stuff on your 'watch list' and seeing what they go for is a reasonable barometer of price and/or market demand.
  8. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

That sounds right. Which is why I'm always surprised when people complain about the prices they're offered at retail stores for their gear. Do they think the store is there to do them favors?
  9. fbny71

fbny71 Supporting Member

When I've traded things in at GC I've been told that they check eBay for recently sold listings of the same or similar as well as their own used section.

They'll arrive at a value based on the condition then offer 60% of that so they can make the 40% difference in the re-sale. They also offer an additional 10% off the purchase of anything new if you do that rather than take the cash.
  10. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

You can also do a search function here in the TB Classifieds to see what StingRay 5HH's were listed at.
  11. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

<<< JC approved method because you can actually check what someone paid for it with SOLD listing search.

Hint: you can also use this to determine your maximum bid if you see something you want to "last second bid" on....