How does your Thunderbird hang?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ou812, Dec 27, 2013.

1. ou812

ou812

So I've read all about the infamous T-Bird head dive, but don't seem to notice a problem on my new Gibson. What I do find, however, is that when hanging around my neck, the top of the guitar body is hanging away from me, putting a lot of tension on the neck-side strap mount and making it generally hard to see and play.

Has anyone tried moving the bottom strap mount to alleviate this? Does it work? If you move it far enough that it's on the 'wing' instead of the center section of the neck/body, could it pull the wing off??? (how good is that glued joint?)

Alternately, does anyone make a strap mount extension that would accomplish the same without drilling new holes?

Thanks!
  2. Morning Beer

Morning Beer

Oh, you are talking about a bass......
  3. SlingBass4

SlingBass4 Supporting Member

Oh...I get it :p I was gonna be impressed with him hanging around his neck :D
  4. MaddAnthony_59

MaddAnthony_59 Supporting Member

I have an Epiphone Pro V, and I must say that the original strap buttons dove pretty badly. I grew up playing a Gibson RD Artist, and I moved the rear strap button to the upper point of the body, and it helped a lot:

[​IMG]

So I tried that with the T-Bird, and expected similar results. It actually made the neck dive worse!

[​IMG]

However, moving the front strap button to the Heel, as shown here improved neck dive to fairly neutral, and the neck hangs at 3 O'clock. I wear my strap a little long, and it takes very little effort to hang the bass at 2 O'clock, like the RD.

Here is the Front:
    [​IMG]

So, as you can see, I have 2 sets of strap buttons on this bass. The Duncan Strap Locks are in the Improved location at the Neck, and the original location at the rear. This is the Best combination that I have found! And of course this is all well documented in several other posts...
  5. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

I just drape the strap over the TOP of the body on the lower bout.

Allen Collins with Lynyrd Skynyrd always did this with his Gibson Explorers.
  6. Grissle

Grissle Supporting Member

I moved both of them to the back, one at the heel, and the other to the top rear of the back. Works a treat!
  7. pfox14

pfox14

I have no problems with my Epi T-Bird having neck dive. Didn't move the strap button or make any changes to it at all.
  8. TBird1958

TBird1958 As a matter of fact....I am your Queen! Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist Mike Lull T Bass pickups
    I think some of the issue has to do with your choice of strap length and possibly your body type. Care to elaborate for us?
  9. LAST_C

LAST_C

I moved the strap buttom on the back higher and it helps, but it's not the only remedy for me. I use a wide, leather strap that prevents the bass from diving and also since I don't play with a pick, I rest my forearm on the back of the bass and that holds it in place.

I came with these ideas over years of playing so, you can experiment with the suggestions here and find what works the best for you.

[​IMG]
  10. DougieB

DougieB

I had to move the strap button on my bolt on neck Epi T Bird which rectified the problem. I got a classic pro through neck and it sits fine.
  11. Kevin aka Kebo

Kevin aka Kebo

Disclosures:
    Owner - Kebo's Bass Works
    I've owned at least 40tbirds, all Gibsons all years. Other than 2 or 3, none of them really ever dove. I also use a 3in wide strap..
  12. karl_em_all

karl_em_all

Same here. I did this for a year or so with my Epi T-bird and it worked great for me. But the strap would chafe my wrist a lot. So I hung it that way, followed the line of the strap and put a strap button on the underside close to the top. Kept the tension on the strap, put a hole in it, plastic strap lock, and done. Hangs perfect and stays close to the body.
  13. Gecko 5

Gecko 5 Supporting Member

I make straps as a hobby.
    About a year ago I made a 60something inch strap for a guy with a Thunderbird.

[​IMG]

I can make more ;)