1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

How expensive can a Carvin get?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hrodbert696, Nov 18, 2013.

1. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

Hey, was thinking about that "what's the cheapest Carvin model" thread, and it made me wonder the opposite - what's the MOST expensive Carvin you can get? Can they get up into the nosebleed territory of Foderas and Modulus and Sadowsky? So I went to the bass builder and tried to choose the most expensive option at every turn.... Here's what I wound up with.

Base Model Options Quantity Price
    IC6
    Right Handed
    1 $1,329.00

SM4 - Flamed Spalted Maple Top $200.00
    NKOA - Koa Neck & Body $400.00
    QTF4 - Tung Oil Satin with Clear Quilted Maple Top $100.00
    5KW - 5-Piece Koa Neck w/ 2 Walnut Stripes $300.00
    NS - Neck Covered By Optional Top Wood $40.00
    PSN - Painted Satin Finish Back Of Neck (Matches Body Color) $60.00
    SMPH - Spalted Maple Headstock Matches Body Finish $60.00
    FMF - Flamed Maple Fingerboard (Tung-Oiled) $60.00
    AB - Abalone Block Inlays $80.00
    STF - Stainless Med-Jumbo Frets .048" H .103" W $40.00
    -R14 - 14in Fretboard Radius (Standard) $0.00
    RH2 - Radiused Humbucker Pickups w/ Active/Passive Module $20.00
    P - Piezo Bass Bridge with Blend Control $100.00
    G - Gold Hardware $50.00
    FWS - Flat Wound Med Light $10.00
    ABL - Abalone Logo $30.00
    AK - Metal Knobs w/ Abalone Inlays $10.00
    SL - Dunlop Straplocks $10.00
    HS - Hipshot Bass Detuner $60.00
    IVN - Ivory Graph Tech TUSQ Nut $5.00
    ETR - Engraved Truss Rod Cover Black $12.00
    HC8 - Black Tolex Hardshell Bass Case $79.00

Custom Shop Total: $3,055.00
    Options Discount: $-100.00

Sub-Total $2,955.00

Anybody able to come up with a pricier Carvin? Just for giggles - never in a million years could I afford this, nor is it my "dream bass." Just a fun timekiller.

2. gumbynotpokey

gumbynotpokey

That's not even close. Go over to the Carvin Forum and check out the thread on this topic. For starters, there's the "Elite" series of basses with a back that matches the top, is a 5 piece body (middle layer, 2 laminates and a top on the top and the back side) and other nice features. It's not cheap and they will do it. Secondly, they still build doubleneck guitars. Yes, that's a guitar. Anyway, there's a whole thread on this. A simple LB70 Elite with burl top and back will get you further along quickly.

3. spade2you

spade2you

I spoke of this in another thread today.

A while back, I was looking at an SH575 guitar, which was a midi semi-hollow. By the time I added a certain amount of bling, it was about $2,500 or so. Figure it would be another $300 for some Lollar Imperials. At that point, I asked Stambaugh what a similarly spec'd semi-hollow guitar with MIDI might run and it was a hair over $3k. As we speak, there's a Carvin SH575 for $3,189.
    http://www.carvinguitars.com/guitars-in-stock/118186

I'm sure it's a nice guitar. For a little more dough, I'd rather opt for something that's got a total hand built feel.

4. WoodyG3

WoodyG3 Supporting Member

Spade, you aren't gonna' let this one go, are you? :D

The Elite model option is the most expensive, I believe. It has never been offered on the online bass builder, so I really don't know how expensive a Carvin can get. I do know it will be a very reasonable price compared to most any other custom or semi-custom builder out there.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Grateful

Grateful Supporting Member

I put together a Koa/Spalted B25P for 10 more dollars. I had a coupon...

Not to mention all the 'Option 100's' you can add (at $100 each): Like a really light piece of wood, a really sick grain, crazy birdseye or flame on the fingerboard, etc...

Most of these are whiz-bangy cosmetic things that really add little to the overall feel and tone, but at least there is the option to spend more. Rarely will a builder give you the option to spend less...

7. jeff62

jeff62 Supporting Member

Pretty funny thread. Am sure that some would bling a Carvin over a true custom build. Different strokes for different folks. :)

However, I don't think you can get one to that price. A number of the options you picked appear to be mutually exclusive. E.g., you wouldn't order these together

SM4 - Flamed Spalted Maple Top $200.00 and
    QTF4 - Tung Oil Satin with Clear Quilted Maple Top $100.00

because you can't have a Spalted Top _and_ a quilted maple top at the same time. Nor would you paint the back of the neck if you hadn't painted the body. :bag:

8. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

Why can't I have a flamed spalted quilted top? I want it! I want it! Daddy, make him make me one! :crying::crying::crying:

9. Just Fingered

Just Fingered Gold Supporting Member

You can load it with Option Fifty's and the price will rocket to the sky.

10. spade2you

spade2you

Could be worse. I wanted a fretless Peavey Cirrus from the custom shop with a maple and epoxied fingerboard and Bart P/J pickups. I think the price came to about 5 grand. :eyebrow: Sent those specs to Cliff Bordwell and got it for about $2k less.

11. Grateful

What is it with all the Bordwell-realated posts in the Carvin threads? I get it that you are a Bordwell fan, and that's great. I'm sure he makes great basses. Do you /have you owned a Carvin and had a bad experience or something?

12. spade2you

spade2you

Keep in mind I did just post a $3k guitar for reference to prove I didn't just pull that number out of my hind end.

CB and Stambaugh are MUCH higher quality and don't cost much more than an equiv spec'd Carvin (when applicable). It's not like I'm suggesting basses with a starting price of $6k.

However, if you have a problem with my posts you can report it to mods. Otherwise, I will suggest independent factory direct luthiers who have a very reasonable price tag and insanely good quality. Besides, when Carvin can make a 32" scale 5-6 string with an amazing low B string, let us know.

13. SteveC

SteveC

For $3,000+ I'd get myself a Roscoe. Looks better, sounds better, plays better and resells better - IMHO.

14. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

No Veruca, You can't. You can spalt maple...either flamed or quilted. But you can't have flamed/quilted at the same time. Their different types of grain patterns and cannot happen at the same time.

15. Handyman

Handyman

I think you missed an opportunity to spend some more cash. :)

If you go fretless, you can spend $250 getting the fingerboard epoxied. Much more expensive than the puny $40 upcharge for stainless steel frets.

16. Grateful

It's not that I have a problem, nor am I one to run to the mods. But based on mutiple posts of the same basic content in multiple Carvin-focused threads, it just seems you have an axe to grind with Carvin I'm just curious as to why that might be. I'm pretty sure you might own a Bordwell, but do you own a Carvin?

17. Grateful

Oh shoot. You're right! I wonder if you can get the Hard-As-Nails over a flamed maple board with Abalone blocks? Do you suppose they would do that expoxy thing to the whole bass?

18. WoodyG3

Spade, CB and Stambaugh are great basses, and I'm sure they are well worth the asking price. It's great when someone finds a bass that they are happy with and that falls inside their budget. :)

19. spade2you

spade2you

I should be asking YOU what you have against luthiers. ;)

I've always been on the bubble with ordering a Carvin. Back in the day, there were no P/J basses. The Floyd Rose equipped guitars didn't have a lock nut. Some of the mid 90's basses had low output pickups and their necks seemed to move a lot. The headless Holdsworth is great, but it would be nice if 24.75" scale and 22 frets were an option.

Based on equally poor resale of boutique instruments, I still see little reason not to spend a few extra bucks to get something handmade. Yes, I own multiple Stambaughs and CBs. The list of things they don't do is pretty small.

20. WoodyG3

I like it! Epoxy the whole bass. That would be the anti-relic option. The finish would NEVER wear off! :D

21. spade2you

spade2you

Again, we're not talking that bad of an upcharge. Fairly modest if you consider the bump in quality.