1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

How far is too far with extended range guitars?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by hillbobby, Jan 31, 2014.

1. hillbobby

hillbobby

I just saw where shecter announced a 9 string guitar with all the extra strings being lower. I think this just confirms that guitar players really want to be bass players. :D
  2. BioWeapon

BioWeapon

Well hey, Glass Cloud's guitarist has a Legator 9 string with a bass E string on it. The bass is standard, I think.
    I think I might have to agree with you ;)
  3. InsaneBassninja

InsaneBassninja

4. 456Spectwick

456Spectwick

9 string is about where i draw the line. That glasscloud album didnt even really use it. That same guitarist was in a band named The Tony Danza Tap Dance Extravaganza, their last album actually used it more frequently.

is the low string on an 8 string guitar also a bass string?
  5. spade2you

spade2you

I haven't heard any low F# (or lower tuned) guitars that sounded pleasing to my ears. I like a good 7, but I think the guitars really benefit from fanned frets, especially if tuned below B. Getting drop tunings to sound great would probably require a heck of an uncomfortable fan.
  6. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: EBMM
    Depends on the player and their playing situation. Just like ERBs - if done tastefully and in a good context then it'll likely be cool. If they just have it just because it's more range and they can "chug chug chugity" in bass range, well then IMO that's somewhat lame.
    I have an inkling it's more of the latter - cos you know, it's "heavier".
  7. pklima

pklima

It's too much when the extra range gets too hard to reach or doesn't sound good enough to be useful. Grand pianos have a lot of range, and they're OK.
  8. Nev375

Nev375

If your amp cant reproduce the note you've gone too far.
  9. letsrumble

letsrumble

Ibanez has one ready to go, as well:

[​IMG]
  10. Bill Whitehurst

Bill Whitehurst

If you can't wrap your head or hands around it, it's too far.
  11. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I guess I can see 8 strings as a way to double the notes on a 4-string. Four strings have worked nicely for a few hundred years. I can see 5 strings if someone needs a lower note or two. Aside from that, I don't see the need.
  12. jamminology101

jamminology101 Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Glockenklang
    Really its just a guitar and a bass all in one. If u drop tuned the f# to low E u would have the range of a standard 4 bass plus a 6 string all rolled into one. That abasi guy uses a 8 string a basically plays chords and arpeggios while playing a complementary simultaneously bassline. Sounds like a lot of work to me. .
  13. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton Gold Supporting Member

The extended range bass guitar is a myth.....i can't throw one any further than a standard one. ;)
  14. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Doesn't seem like such a bad idea to me if you're the centerpiece of a given song or playing solo. I've recently discovered the beauty of baritone guitars, opens up a whole new world. If one can achieve piano string clarity, I wouldn't mind going lower if you don't run into mud problems. But C# on an 8 string for example is like, what. Three half steps below standard bass tuning, that's not as low as it may seem. Low is what Jauqo does.

That said I don't really see widespread use of ER guitars outside of experimental settings. ERB are a different beast though; personally a standard bass doesn't go low enough for me and guitar goes up too high (unfingered F# string on the baritone is the highest I find myself playing). Then again I wouldn't bring an ERB to a bar gig.
  15. M0ses

M0ses

16. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa

It just gives us more reason to play something else than the root in the lower registrer. Now you have a good reason to play melodies or nice arrangement in our high range.
  17. InsaneBassninja

InsaneBassninja

That is how I determined it
  18. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Supporting Member

As far as bass guitarists keep whining about it. :p
  19. ShredderMaximus

ShredderMaximus

They are usually played without having their thumbs anchored on the back of the neck for easier reach to the lower strings. Or a lot of tapping.

As for my (shallow) opinion, while I'd love to mess around on one, frankly I just find them dorky looking unless they are in the hands of a very large individual. I play a six and that's enough for me without looking like a dork in public. No offense to any erb players out there, chances are they are much more talented players than I.
  20. Hamlet7768

Hamlet7768 Here to chew gum and rock. Still have gum. Supporting Member

You get more than 8 and the guitar is becoming a solo instrument. 8's my personal limit for sanity's sake. I do like the sounds Tosin Abasi and the fellows in Meshuggah get with their guitars, but in my music my band plays I doubt we would need more than 7.