How Flexible Are You?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by bluewine, Jan 17, 2013.

1. bluewine

bluewine

When it comes to opportunities to perform and make some money with a gigging band how flexible are you?

1. I will only play one specific genre.

2. Regardless of the caliber of the band I will only play original music.

3. Regardless of the caliber if the band. I will only play covers.

4. I only want to gig a few times a year.

5. I will only play with guys my age.

6. I restrict myself to established working band opportunities with a strong book of business.

The purpose of the thread is get an idea of how open minded we are in regards to available opportunities.

There's no right or wrong here. All comments are welcome.

Blue
  2. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Pretty flexible. I can lay on my back and, with my hands and feet on the ground, lift my entire body into an arch.

Like this:

[​IMG]

Urdhva Dhanurasana English Translation is Upward Bow Pose
  3. elgecko

elgecko

For the right money, I'll play Lady of Spain on accordion in a chicken suit.
  4. Biggbass

Biggbass Supporting Member

I'm very flexible when it comes to playing with other musicians. but the older I get the less tolerance I have for BS. A Good personality goes a long way.
  5. fkh006

fkh006

I think you already answered it.
    There is no right or wrong here.

As long as I have the time I will take on anything.
    My primary two bands come first though.
    I have even played in the orchestra pit for musicals.
    Did Oklahoma once.
    It was fun.
  6. wideload

wideload

That was YOU??!?
  7. the yeti

the yeti

yeah, i can do that. have a little trouble reaching past my toes though...
  8. the yeti

the yeti

also both of these.
  9. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

For the right opportunity I will play pretty much anything, anywhere, anytime.

Off the top of my head I can only think of one band I will not play with or their music in a cover situation.
  10. bluewine

bluewine

Me, I restrict myself to the working world, genre does not matter, rock, blue grass,pop, c & w. As long as your good people and have work.

Blue
  11. jphovercraft

jphovercraft

I will not play "The Rodeo Song" ... period.
  12. BayStateBass

BayStateBass

Well, I would have to say #3 to be honest, if I had to pick from the list.

Genre isn't really important to me. I like all types of music and find something I like in almost every genre, including rap.

Age isn't important, although I'd rather play with guys my age or older if given the choice, I find experienced musicians are the most fun to be around and they will pass on their knowledge. Actually, I prefer old blues musicians the most.

Nothing against originals, but I'd rather listen to a song and duplicate than write stuff. Honestly, I don't have a lot of talent as far as writing or originality. Everything I write somehow comes out sounding like "Eye Of The Tiger" for some reason.

I like to gig about 2X/month if I have the opportunity.

My resume and skill set does not support playing with only steady working bands with a full book. I hope some day it does. But for now I'm okay with startups or developing bands because it's what is available to me, I like them and they seem to like me.

I'd say I'm pretty flexible, for the most part. The one deal breaker for me is bands/players that mix booze and drugs with playing, or are only in it to get chicks. I'm well beyond that stage in my life, and have no desire to play with a band where those are the priorities. The only other deal breaker is a band that has no desire to improve or want to play out. I'm not interested in perpetual garage bands; I really enjoy playing out.
  13. BayStateBass

BayStateBass

Actually, I can do that. It's a yoga pose called "the wheel", sometimes called "the bridge".

(My wife is a yoga instructor)
  14. vickde

vickde Supporting Member

I don't slap. I'm not crazy about funk, so I've never had the need to learn. Other than that, I'm pretty open.
  15. backup

backup

my requirement is a certain degree of professionalism
  16. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

When I was practicing regularly reaching past my toes was a breeze. Ive been out of practice since last June, and its a bit tougher now, unless I warm up for a good while.
  17. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

If it's good music that is the is my main focus no matter about age,gigs, money whatever.

IMO if the music is good and I like playing it along with the overall "hang" with bandmates I'm good.

I am picky about what I will play...no metal, pop or jazz for me. I'm into good old rock,blues, indie rock, Americana, Country and folk.

The style of my playing fits Folk ,Country and Blues but I love slamming loud rock notes in my other originals band.

I am mainly into originals but a few covers work. The one thing that motivates me the least is money. I play music for the love of it and anything I make doing it is a blessing to me. I will never just play music or do anything.. be weird etc just to make a buck playing music.

2-3 gigs a month is good for me. I have a young daughter and she along with my wife are #1

I got back to music at almost 40 and will soon be 51 so just making music drove me back then and it still does.
  18. lwknives

lwknives

Ive never turned down the opportunity to play unless I had other plans.
  19. bluewine

bluewine

Nice post!

I definitely agree with the above.

They are all the wrong reasons for getting into this biz.

Blue
  20. pedro

pedro

Have to be comfortable both with the music being played and the musicians I'm playing it with.