How I can Road Worn my other basses' neck

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pedroims, Feb 2, 2014.

1. pedroims

pedroims

I absolutely love the neck of my RW P ( I love tone even better) anyway, yesterday I get rid off my MIA P, it was good bass but not better than my RW, I realized that the neck in the RW is the reason I like it so much, not only it feels great but it also feels like a glow. My question is: How I can make my others basses feel the same? I have a Stingray and a Lakland DJ, that are awesome but don't feel the same. Should I sent them to somebody to " breaking them in"? Play them for 1000 hours is not a plan as I barely have one hour per day of playing, if you have played a RW then you know what I mean.
  2. Mikhail1

Mikhail1

A green Scotch Brite pad will do wonders to the back of the neck.
  3. darrenmt

darrenmt

I own a RW P too so i get exactly what u mean. Best 4-string P ever. I also own a US Lakland and the neck on these are phenomenal.
  4. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

I'm retired send them to me I'll get them worn down quick I might even throw in a free relic job :)
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. pedroims

pedroims

I would not mind sending the necks to you as long as you can do whatever my Mexican friends do with the RW necks.
  7. makaspar

makaspar

I think he's saying that he can get to 1000 hours of "relic" time quicker because he's retired :)
  8. pedroims

pedroims

:)
  9. kohntarkosz

kohntarkosz

Look up how to roll the fingerboard edges. This stuff has gone out of fashion, but it does simulate a neck that has been worn in. Just don't get too close to the fret ends or else they become exposed and cut your hand!
  10. antoniolopez90

antoniolopez90

I generally roll all my boards that dont have binding and its a big improvement over a fresh fingerboard but there is more to it than that I am sure, unless you want to take some abrasives to the back of the necks I am not sure how close you can get in feel to the RW. I know I love my RW jazz neck and am considering just painting the headstock since I love the neck so much and cant find a matching headstock jazz neck with the specs I want.
  11. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

A combination of sandpaper and steel wool got me an old MIK Squiers to feel and look like a RW.
  12. Jaco D

Jaco D

Get the finest steel wool available (0000) and rub-down the back of the neck. Be sure to cover the pups or the magnets would pick-up the fine steel powder. Once the stickyness is gone, rub it down with automotive rubbing compound then polishing compound. Rolling the edges would also break-in the sharp edges.
  13. LanOsb133

LanOsb133

This is why I enjoy relic'd guitars over non relic'd. People who say "who wants to buy a guitar thats pre-beaten" obviously don't understand you buy them for the neck ;) It would (IMO) look unnatural to just get that worn neck while the body is spotless.

Anyways, you can get it relic'd by a professional or you can go to youtube and see how to relic your neck. If you do it yourself, BE VERY VERY VERY CAREFUL. IT IS SUPER EASY TO F UP. Slow and steady is the way to go, and its better to need to take more off than to go too far and screw the neck up.
  14. Rabidhamster

Rabidhamster

use fine scotch bright pad or bronze wool to take shine off the back of the neck, you can even take all the finish off if you truoil it after just to be safe. Just treat the back of the neck like a gun stock.

get a heavy long socket - I like 5/8ths snap-on, and run it firmly along the edge of the fretboard, but not on the frets. Be careful as you're going to be mashing the wood - this is "rolling" the fretboard. Its good if you feel comfortable to do it, you'll know when you've done enough
  15. Temezki

Temezki

[​IMG]

Couldn't find 0000 steel wool at the shop so I used 000 I had lying around. That worn out spot is cool.
  16. MarkoYYZ

MarkoYYZ Supporting Member

Make sure to stick a cigarette under the E string and let it burn down to the filter. Then it's road worn.
  17. Humbled

Humbled Supporting Member

Anyone know a cheap and easy way to stain a sanded Fender neck backside (and I mean a Mexican P neck sanded down to bare wood) to darken it to the greyish skin-oil/grime patina that some pre-poly Fender necks take on the back ?
  18. bassbully

I used a few dabs of furniture stain in med brown and topped it off with a little black. Put it on on and remove it quickly to get a slight stain, leave it on longer to darken it.

You will be surprised to find if you just play it awhile your skins oils etc will darken it itself. I played my bass with nothing but bare wood neck for a month and it darkened. I had to resand the area to add the stain. It was that soiled.
  19. pedroims

pedroims

Thanks everybody, I have a Squier guitar where I can practice before attempting to doing it my EBMM. Let see how it goes.
  20. bassbully

IMO a little looks better than allot.