1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

How important is gain reduction meter on comp to you?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bobicidal, Feb 13, 2014.

1. bobicidal

bobicidal Supporting Member

Hi all,

Maybe a dumb question but it seems that is all I post:

Is a gain reduction meter on a compressor important only to guys like me (who apparently, if you read comments from people here) have poor/damaged hearing? Because I am convinced my next comp must have one and it is limiting my purchase options, particularly when trying to avoid a large rack unit. I think it would also be nice to see on a meter when it is helping "sustain".

Thoughts? Discussed to death somewhere already?

Thanks for reading.
  2. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    it's nice to have one, but it's not that important to me, especially in pedal form, since I just adjust my compressors by ear and feel.
  3. bobicidal

bobicidal Supporting Member

Yeah I convinced myself today I don't need it after pulling out an old rack mount presonus and listening with my ears. I gotta say the 160 comp model in the Boss GT10B is not too shabby so i think I am over the comp gas!
  4. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Zero important on a petal.
  5. Swift713

Swift713

I liked the LED on the Maxon that lit when the threshold was crossed but now I'm doing fine with no such indication on the Zoom B3 compressor models. The ears are the final judge.
  6. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right? Supporting Member

I find it VERY helpful, maybe I don't have the ear that some others do. But I've used both the MXR and Empress and their metering capabilities are a huge help dialing in what I want.