1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

How important is groove to you?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by cousinofmurloc, Apr 12, 2014.

1. cousinofmurloc

cousinofmurloc

Hey guys this is more of a curious just for fun question. I've been playing for about 4 months. I used to play the drums and I love music. I'd like to think I have a lot of soul and it I think it makes me sound better than I actually am. Does groove help you play better or do you just stick to technique and scales?

2. ahc

ahc

How important is air to you?

Music is made of rhythm, melody and harmony. Every genre has a "groove". Without it, it's not music.

3. hover

hover Banned

if it don't groove whats the point , i say

4. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I'm a Fuzzrocious-aholic. It's been one week since I bought my last Fuzzrocious pedal.
    Technique and groove are not mutually exclusive. Good technique helps you to groove because you can concentrate on WHAT to play instead iof HOW to play.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Greg Jones

Greg Jones

It is the most important thing.

Play bass with a drummer that doesn't have it ...

I'd rather stick a fork in my eye.

7. chungweishan

chungweishan

I define groove as the ability to stay in tempo, syncs with the drum beats, and moves the music. Whereas most the time the simplest basslines are the most effective as long as it "grooves."

Technique and Scales just allows me to expand my groove and accomplish different styles of music if I wanted to. Admittedly, if you asked me to play a "Locrian Scale in the Key of Eb while Slapping," I'll probably fail. However, if you asked me to come up with a bass-riff for a Eb7b5 chord in a funk song, I'll come up with a good enough groove based on the interaction of the drums and other instruments. Mostly because I know the notes in the chord, but never concentrated on modal scales on their own. It might just be an easy R-7-8 bassline, but with effective syncopation to make it groove. Then have enough knowledge to make a bassline to the next chord if needed.

Basically, technique to expand your musical knowledge. Groove to know when to use it.

8. vishuddha

vishuddha 100% Mediocre Supporting Member

I'm not a really creative guy so I have always focused on something you can develop (technical prowess) rather than groove, which I feel like some people are born with but I will never have. But when you play technical metal, you don't really NEED groove so I guess it's not too important to me. When I'm playing drums, though, groove is a huge factor for me. Go figure.

9. chicagobob12

chicagobob12

Can anyone identify the year this Charvel Jackson bass was made?
    C:\Users\Bob\Pictures\2014-04-12
    Beautiful Oly white poly finish, nice axe, let me know your thoughts. Thanks, chicagobob12

10. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS * Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    You can't "just stick to technique and scales" - that's not music.
    You need to add feeling (a.k.a "groove") to make it music.

11. Timmah

Timmah

Groove is wicked important. Vic Wooten teaches that there are ten elements to music- notes (thats scales etc), rhythm, dynamics, technique, emotion, space, articulation, tone, phrasing, and listening. Notes are just one of the ten, and as he goes on to demonstrate, far from the most important. I like to think that the sum of the remaining nine is Groove.

12. MalcolmAmos

MalcolmAmos Supporting Member

Is the groove important? Once you have felt it, you never have to ask that question again.

13. zontar

zontar

Media:
    Albums:

This^^^

That said we may not always agree on what is a good groove.
    One's good groove is another horrible groove--but even if we disagree on a good groove, we need to realize without it, it's just notes.

14. moruiz

moruiz

If music was a human body:

Technique, Scales and Chords would be flesh and bones.

Groove will be the soul.

Therefore my friend, with no groove you just have a dead body.

That's how simple it is for bass players. And we call it groove. Academic musicians call it passion. And so on...

15. Shanebo

Shanebo

If you're not sure how good that sound actually is, try recording yourself--better yet, get a video of yourself playing.

The results that you produce on a recording are exactly what you have done, regardless of the amount of soul used to produce said recording.

I say this with respect, having seen/heard myself on video/tape enough times to have learned that as good as I might sound to myself while playing in the moment, that is not an objective measurement, and I usually don't sound the same (as good) as I remembered.

And to the question of groove vs. scales--for sure, groove will win the day over perfectly-executed scales every time.

All the best,

Shane

16. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa

When I hear "groove" I lways think it is a funk groove. But every genre as it's own groove.

With that said : groove is rythm, note and harmony. Many people think rythm is the most important thing with the drum ( which is just a mega-way-to-big-metronome ) but everything is important...

17. bluesdogblues

bluesdogblues

Media:
    Albums:
    IMHO everybody has soul, nobody has it 'lot' or 'less' except for maybe, their difference in 'life experience' that feed different things to each of their soul. What matters with bass is how somebody 'channel' it and represent it in his/her bass playing.

Groove is very important, part of tempo, timing, which are part of rhythm (sense), which perhaps more important than notes.
    But obviously not the only thing that make someone play better

18. Whit Townsend

Whit Townsend

If it don't feel good its not right.

19. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Supporting Member

I am not the most skilled bassist, and my sense of harmony could be better - but I am always getting complimented on how well I swing, my sense of groove. MANY bassists lack good groove - it's just the way it is. Develop that, and you'll be fine.

20. chungweishan

chungweishan

21. bluesdogblues

bluesdogblues

Media:
    Albums:
    I have a bitter take:
    "Whether think about the bass or not, if somebody feels the music is good, then the bass player is successful"
    :D