how is a Björn Stoll bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Brandon Tuomiko, Jan 28, 2009.

?

Yes or no? Björn Stoll bass

Poll closed May 8, 2009.
  1. Its worth it

75.0%
  2. Not good

25.0%
  1. Brandon Tuomiko

Brandon Tuomiko Banned

I might be purchasing a Bjorn Stoll bass. Its the Heidelberg model.

Is this bass worth the $5+k? How is the sound? Is it "mind boggleing?"

Since it is a fancy brand (you dont see these for sale) I would expect it to be nice- also because of its price tag.

What do you think?
  2. jazzEADG

jazzEADG

most basses are that expensive.
    anyways, the latin/classical tune that plays at the website its very nice
  3. Brandon Tuomiko

Brandon Tuomiko Banned

well I know that.
  4. jazzEADG

jazzEADG

they sound very nice, from that recording
    it also looks like he puts in his fair share to create such an excellent instrument. how experienced are you on the DB?
    imagine the shipping costs though, they would be astronomical.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Tejano Bass

Tejano Bass

jazzEADG:
    1. - check Brandon's profile

2. - astronomical? - not if purchased stateside - it would already be included in purchase price.

On an entirely different note:

I noticed that the Heidelberg does not appear on the website . . . might it perhaps be a shop-made model for "export" only?
  7. Brandon Tuomiko

Brandon Tuomiko Banned

What is that supposed to mean? Check brandons profile?
    And this is a Lemur music bass i guess. But its made my Stoll. It says the specs were for lemur
  8. Brandon Tuomiko

Brandon Tuomiko Banned

where is this recording?
  9. jazzEADG

jazzEADG

just go the the Bjorn Stroll website, it will play when you get there
  10. Kevin Hsieh

Kevin Hsieh

wait a second... you're that kid that caused all that ruckus a couple months ago. didn't you end up buying a bass? why are you back in the market?
  11. Brandon Tuomiko

Brandon Tuomiko Banned

Not yet. I was told I have to wait till summer. Bummer.l
  12. Peck_Time

Peck_Time

It's summer here, come down for a visit! :eyebrow:
  13. shadygrove

shadygrove

Hey Brandon,

On the other hand, now you have lot's of time to get down to KC Strings and other places to play a bunch of basses instead of trying to figure out what's a good bass over the internet. ;)

Is the sound mind boggling ? That depends on the sound in your head that you want the bass to sound like. Does it play well? What's that mean to you?
  14. Brandon Tuomiko

Brandon Tuomiko Banned

I want it to sound as good as it gets. Like the sound on the website. I like that sound. Playing the upper registers sounds great, and the pizz is great too.

Maybe in spring we can go to KC strings.
  15. dchan

dchan

^ Wasn't there a story about something like this not long ago? It went something like this:

There was a bass player who kept bringing his bass back to Upton to get it setup, because he was looking for a certain 'sound' he was hearing. The Upton luthiers kept tweaking the setup, but the player was still unsatisfied. So Gary Upton comes in one day when the player brings in his bass, and plays the guy's bass. As soon as Gary is done, the player says, "That's the sound I'm looking for. Can you make my bass sound like that?" The luthier reminds the player that was his bass. The player responds, "But I want it to sound like that when I'm playing."

So my point is that most of the sound you get from your bass comes from you and you alone. Setup and string choice matters in some aspects of sound, but it's mostly used to make a bass play more easily and more to your tastes than anything. And the bass itself does play a big factor in the sound.

But if you're good enough, you can make virtually any bass sound good.
  16. mrmann

mrmann

Stoll has some really expensive models, with which he seems to try to rival Pöllmann. The Dresden, Havanna and Bussetto models comes to mind. I believe that that bass would provide decent value for money, but, it is in a price range where nothing is truly outstanding. I have a friend who has one of those Hungarian basses with antique finish that was attempted to sell as some 1820 Venetian bass, which - once the seller is made aware that you know it's a fraud - has gone down to about USD3,500. It's a good bass! Nothing fancy but a very decent student bass for the price of a beginner's, and probably about as good as that Stoll student model. You should take that under consideration - 5-6k is halfway to a REAL bass. If you are a serious student about college age, I would stick to my old bass until I could muster enough money for a master made instrument. If you, on the other hand, are a happy amateur or want a jazz bass that does the trick, it is likely to do just that.
    Of course, there's no getting around that of trying before buying, but I believe you might not be entirely wrong.