How is the DI on the TH350/500?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by taylor16, Sep 29, 2013.

1. taylor16

taylor16 Thank you, Mr. Miner. Supporting Member

I'm not going to have a chance to try out the DI on my TH amp before an upcoming show. For those of you have tried it before, we're you satisfied with it? I was considering getting a Radial JDI (something simple/transparent) until I "realized" the the TH has a DI!

(**for those who are going to suggest that the Reddi direct box is the best DI out there, I play with a Darkglass VMT so I don't need to have the sound "colored")

2. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Don't just TalkBASS - PlayBASS! Supporting Member

The DI on my Tone Hammer 500 has always sounded great, whether in pre or post, no complaints, only praise from sound droids. :bassist:

3. enricogaletta

enricogaletta

4. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

I just played 3 large shows this weekend and used the Aguilar TH500 DI. In that particular room(which is pretty large with an excellent EAW sound system), its the best sound I have gotten yet. The last time I played there I used the REDDI. Honestly the Aguilar gets close. Doesn't have quite the same "weight" for lack of a better word in the highs, but its crystal clear sounding and completely noiseless. Best DI I have used on a bass head yet.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

TH500 player here - it's awesome :D

7. Sayclean

Sayclean

... I also used the DI out on the Tone Hammer 500 to track 12 tunes in studio in Nashville and got my best tone in studio I wanted from Fender Jazz and Fender P basses that I would ever want! ...

8. KJung

KJung

In pre EQ mode (button out), it is wonderful, and in 99% of live situations, you would not be able to tell the difference between it and a nice 'midline to hi end DI' like the wonderful JDI.

Nicely designed DI, pre everything except the gain (I think!), mute switch mutes DI output and amp, and the master volume has no impact on the DI if you need to adjust your stage sound.

I have never used it (or any) amp DI in post EQ mode (other than Eden, which is the only option you used to have), so can't comment on the post EQ performance. The only downside post EQ is that if you are using the amp as a preamp only input to a recording interface without a pad control (not many of those out there, but there are some), if you really crank the gain and EQ, the DI signal is reported to get quite hot.

9. taylor16

taylor16 Thank you, Mr. Miner. Supporting Member

So- if in one of my bands, the one with whom I'll be playing shortly where I'll be running and octave pedal off-and-on with a distortion/overdrive pedal on full-time, would I be better served to have a standalone clean DI?

10. KJung

KJung

Nope. I guess what you are asking is if you would run a DI BEFORE your pedals. That would be a bit strange, since your pedals are effects that I assume you want to run to the board, or they wouldn't make much sense.

So, put another way, the Pre EQ DI of the TH500 would be pretty much identical to the JDI placed after your pedals.