1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

How is the Fender Rumble 350 head?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Sabin, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Sabin

Sabin

Anyone have any experience with these? I am picking up a used Mesa 4x10 cab, and I need a head.. Because of the discount I get on Fender and Traynor, I am trying to decide between the rumble 350 or the Dynabass 400H head. Unless they both suck in which case I will search elsewhere. Being a guitarist all my life, I really don't know much about bass amps. I know I love Fender guitar amps (well, some of them).
  2. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

The Rumbles are entry lever gear, they dont get a lot of love around here, but I have not used one so I cant say more on them. Have you checked out what is available use? you can get a lot of bang for your buck that way.
  3. Sabin

Sabin

Ok, I'll stay away from the Rumble.

The thing is with my discount, I am often better off buying stuff new. But if I am not going to go with Traynor (still deciding) then I may have to go the used route.

What are your thoughts on the Traynor amps?
  4. CL400Peavey

They get a lot of love here. Are you wanting to go all tube?
  5. rpsands

rpsands

Uhh, I actually really like how the new fender Rumble ultralights sound. They're kinda like cheapo versions of the Genz shuttle 3/6 from what I can tell. Definitely a good way to start out.

I'd look at the Ampeg PF350/500 series as well.
  6. CL400Peavey

Notice I didnt say they are bad, or even less than great. Just that they dont get talked about much here.
  7. Sabin

Sabin

If this was guitar, I would say hell yes. But as I don't know bass amp sounds well enough yet, I honestly don't know. What is the advantage of tube or solid state in a bass amp?
  8. CL400Peavey

Personal preference. What kind of music are you going to be playing, and what is your budget?
  9. Sabin

Sabin

I will be playing mostly funk, ska, reggae, jazz, rock, and combinations of each. My budget is not that big of an issue because I can get Traynor amps below cost - which is why I would really like to get a Traynor if they will sound good enough.
  10. CL400Peavey

I would go Traynor then, I would recommend you go play one first though to see if you like the sound. What cabs are you pairing with what ever head you decide to get?
  11. wagdog

wagdog

Nothing wrong with the Rumble 350. It's actually a nice little amp. I prefer it's more neutral voicing over the Ampeg PF series. Unfortunately, I know nothing about the Traynors although they seem to get good reviews.
  12. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

I had a couple of the early Rumble practice amps and they were junk. However these new Rumbles are Rumbles In Name Only (sorry for the political pun) and certainly appear to be much better than the old ones. There’s a few posters here who own them, do a search. The 2x8 cab looks really nice actually. So does the 1x12.

:D
  13. LoTone

LoTone Gold Supporting Member

+1

The Rumble 150/350 have nothing to do with the rest of the Rumble line. I like them a lot. The voicing filters (punch/scoop) are well voiced and the EQ frequencies that Fender have chosen are really useful. Assuming that, "... beauty is in the ears of the beholder", you might or might not like the overdrive channel but my ears find that channel to be pretty good as well.

I suggest you check them out. :bassist:
  14. msaone

msaone

Just bought a rumble 350 head and 410 cabinet yesterday. Lovin it so far. Sounds good and it's loud everything I was shopping for.
  15. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

I just picked up a Rumble 150 head to use as a practice amp/backup. Its actually quite a nice little head and puts out a TON of volume for 150 watts. Shouldn't have any problem with club gigs, etc. Tonally it reminds me of the Ampeg PF heads but with a bit more hifi sounding top end. It has a lot of low mid presence, but is not muddy. I dig it. Distortion channel isn't the greatest IMO(bit too modern square wave for me). Likely won't use it for more than a backup, but for the price its an excellent value.
  16. Green Lantern

Green Lantern

I tried the Rumble 300 and it sounded fine. However I did prefer the GK, Ampeg, and Aguilar over the smaller sounding Rumble I compared it to them at the store.
  17. SilkyStrings

SilkyStrings

I tried a Fender Jazz Bass through a Rumble 350 head into a 2x8 and 1x12 stack at NAMM and came away impressed with the tone. I have never noticed much praise for them on TB.
  18. 4dog

4dog

Just picked up a Rumble350,, its actually a clean,,strong amp,, def. a sleeper.
  19. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

I'm not sure they will really get the recognition they deserve based on the name(Rumble). I am thrilled with the one I bought though, and I've owned most of the class D heads on the market.
  20. newbold

newbold

If you can get Traynor below cost then go that route.

Support North American Made!