How is your high frequency hearing?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Scottkarch, Nov 22, 2013.

How is your High Frequency Hearing? ( test link inside )

1. 20KHz +

9.7%
  2. 18KHz

25.2%
  3. 16KHz

27.7%
  4. 14KHz

17.9%
  5. 12KHz

11.9%
  6. 10KHz

2.5%
  7. 8KHz

1.9%
  8. Lower than 8KHz

3.1%
  1. Scottkarch

Scottkarch

Media:
    After looking over a great thread on high frequency drivers for high end cabs, LINK I was wondering how my high frequency hearing is doing now that I'm 45.

According to a test on this site, LINK it's down to 14-15KHz from 20KHz... some years ago. Go to the site and test your hearing.

I'm just curious how my hearing is compared to others on this site.

I'm 45 and wear in ears for monitoring as well as hearing protection.

EDIT with better headphones I started hearing between 16-17K I'm guessing that's as good as I'm going to get. I need to try this out with my kids and wife.

2. KJung

KJung

I'm 56, with 41 years of gigging under my belt. 16K with good phones according to the test. Not bad! To be fair, never did the hard rock thing, and have good ear plugs (-9db filters) that I wear if it gets stupid loud (typically 1 out of 50+ gigs).

3. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

I'm 58 and assuming the headphones are still capable to 22Khz, 19Khz. Down from 23.5Khz when I was 19.

4. Scottkarch

Scottkarch

Media:
    Wow KJung Impressive. And 2 others at 18KHz. Wow Not sure how if I damaged my ears, if 14-15KHz is reasonable and some of it is just hereditary? Back in college I got paid by a physics professor to listen to audio tests in the 18KHz-20KHz range. aaah Youth. Wasted on the young. I'm testing with beats earbuds and listening through my iPhone. Hoping it's the earbuds ( but expecting it's my ears ). I have over ear Beats and Klipsch earbuds at practice.. I'll try with them. But I bet I just lost some hearing. Sigh.......

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. BassCliff

BassCliff

Hi,

As a "ballpark" test this tells me that I really need to get my hearing checked. I started hearing the tone at 13K. :eek:

(Hopefully I can blame some of it on these cheap in-monitor speakers on this computer.)

At 56 I've been playing loud music for over 40 years. It takes its toll.

PROTECT YOUR HEARING!

EDIT: OK, I used a pair of headphones for this test and started hearing the tone at 14K, a little better but still damaged.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

7. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

Side question, how many found a certain frequency painful?

8. chaosMK

chaosMK Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I was all stressed out during the countdown while taking this test, being a metallist since like '99 (I'm 32). 16K on lo-fi "audio" headphones that are probably for watching work safety videos or something.

9. rational baze

rational baze

I'm 30 and I'm at 18k. Quietly relieved. Spent the 10 of the last 12 years in a quite loud hard rock band. Although I have been wearing earplugs mostly for the last 3 years.

10. BurningSkies

BurningSkies Supporting Member

I'm in the 11-12k range.

I had hearing loss before I was a musician, from early childhood. I've never been in the upper reaches and playing loud music for years without protection I'm sure never helped. Of course, I don't know that its really gotten worse than it was, given the attenuation I already have.

11. bobicidal

bobicidal Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    LOL, I had the volume too low on the crappy logitech headset I have here in the office. Cranking it up could hear it just before he says 14k. Probably better with my good headphones. Can i change my results?

12. KJung

KJung

I think a lot is genetic (as are a lot of things). My wife always bums out that my hearing is so good, given the decades of playing and 'loud listening'. She has a big dip in her upper midrange sensitivity at this point (which is a bummer, since that is where much of the articulation of speech is). I call her the human Epifani 210UL:p

13. electracoyote

electracoyote

Everyone naturally loses high frequency hearing as they age regardless of how much or little noise you are exposed to.

Still, ear plugs are a good idea to not hasten the process.

14. XXL

XXL Custom User Title Supporting Member

40 years old here and I didn't hear it till 16k =/ I thought I might of heard something at 17k but definitely heard it at 16k. Rarely wear earplugs and it seems I better start.

15. jrusidoff

jrusidoff

High Frequency? I remember high frequency....they still have that?

16. Scottkarch

Scottkarch

Media:
    It's strange...somewhere between 16 and 14 it's like someone smoothly but quickly turned up the volume. It wasn't abrupt like a switch, but it was like turning a volume knob from 0 up to listening level. I thought it would be more gradual... and for me, it wasn't

17. JACink

JACink

21k on good headphones

18. kcole4001

kcole4001

I'm 47 and I just barely started to hear a tone at 14k hz.

19. Philonius

Philonius Supporting Member

59 y.o. Somewhere in the 13-14K region. Never did much gigging when I was younger, but worked in cabinet shops for many years. Always tried to be diligent with hearing protection at work, but there were a few concerts I went to that left my ears ringing for the next day or two. Now I always bring the Hearos to a show.

20. jjk2007

jjk2007 Supporting Member

Well, I listened on my Galaxy Note 3 through some $20 Sony ear buds. All that said I started picking up on the tone at 18k. I'm 38 and have been playing in loud bands since about age 16, with 4 years in my early 20's as a full time touring bassist.

21. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman

I'm 51, and could hear 9kHz - 10kHz in the audio test. Above that, it seems to just blend into the constant ringing that I have...