1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

How "large" of a gig are you using a single 1x12 effectively?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by prokfrog, Jan 5, 2014.

1. prokfrog

prokfrog

I've been running 2 (mismatched) 112's for many years now and for the most part, its been overkill volume wise at my gigs. I'm wondering if I can get away with just one. I know the easy answer is bring both cabs to the next gig, and unplug one, but I'm curious what the community is doing with a single 112 these days. I'm in a pop/rock cover band playing rooms with ~ 100-250 occupancy. Modest PA support

Thanks!

2. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Firemelon
    I guess it depends on the cabinet, the rest of the band's volume and the extent of the PA. My Mesa Walkabout Scout is a 12" but the passive radiator makes it bloom louder than most single 12s. I can fill a pretty decent size room with it, probably what you describe so long as PA support is there.

3. swamp_bass

swamp_bass I love it when a groove comes together Supporting Member

I think it's safe to say that not all 112's are created equal. If you identify the cabinet, and what you're driving it with, you might get more responses by those who've had experience with said cab.

What's confusing is the "Modest PA support." Is your bass going through the PA, or are just the vocals?

4. basss

basss Supporting Member

I've been using a GK neo112 with a MB500 as my main rig for a few years now. It's enough to keep up with loudish unmiked drums. I have a lightweight 2x12 cab that I never bring to gigs - seems like every gig that I might need it at has a supplied backline. One bandleader I work with refuses to put bass in the PA and sometimes I need to fill a large banquet hall with my rig. The 112 isn't quite up to that but it's my feeling that the bandleader would be less happy with the pounding stage volume required from a bigger rig.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. prokfrog

prokfrog

Thanks for the responses so far. I should have been more detailed....

The proposed rig in question is a Carvin BX500 with an Epifani PS112.

The PA mostly runs vocals and kick drum. We will put a small amount of guitars and bass through it as well.

7. Bulldawg82

Bulldawg82 Supporting Member

A Carvin BX500 with a 112 cab @ 8 ohms will give you 300 watts (assuming the cab is rated for that much). A cab rated at 500/4 ohms would give you full power from the amp. However, it will not be as articulate as if you had an extra 112 as an extension. I have used a single 112 in the past with a 3 piece I was with. It worked, but I made sure I played thru an FOH/PA system. If, for some reason, a PA is not available, that extension cab would be very helpful.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    Don't have any 112 cabs but I used to, and I used it in a lot of different situations, ranging from arena gigs to small clubs and rec centers. Sometimes I carried the house with it as well. I prefer having a two speaker rig at least, though I don't always stick to it...just today I used my little BA110 practice amp for a gig and carried the house with it. My stage volume isn't what you'd call "loud," though, so don't go by me.

9. ASATMAN

ASATMAN Supporting Member

This little monster rig [w/ solid body bass] has been able to handle everything from small to medium sized gigs with 5 pc band , including electric guitar, sax and no PA support.
    It helps that the GK has tons of headroom and the speaker was replaced w/ a cast frame 4 ohm Black Widow.
    Haven't had my 2 x 12" out in years.
    [​IMG]

10. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

I do small bar gigs with a GK 112 combo but we always have PA support.

11. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

1x12 is enough pretty much anywhere.
    I only use the second cab for loud music, outdoors or on stages larger than a bar if there is no PA.
    Then again, I use a Berg IP112ER that must be one of the loudest single 12" around.

12. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

There are so many factors that will play in to this. IMHO a 112 cab isnt going to hang with a "loud" drummer or a couple of guitards even if they are modest with their volume. I play in several bands and sit in with another one when their bassist is out of town. In none of these would a single 112 be enough to balance the volume needs out in the room. As a personal monitor up on a chair? Sure, but I better have some kickass PA support (Which is a rarity in these parts).

This does say that a 112 isnt enough for anyone's gigs, it just shows that everyones volume needs will be a bit different. My standard stage rig is probably more capable than 95% of the members on this site. I dont have to use all of that, but for me, I like having enough to carry what ever room I am in.

13. MrLenny1

MrLenny1 Supporting Member

None. I did an acoustic jam and the house had an SWR 12.
    I did not cut it.

14. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

+1

15. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

I could probably get by with a 1x12 kick back cab as a personal monitor.

16. alexclaber

alexclaber

Disclosures:
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    It totally depends on the 1x12" cab in question. Very few conventional ones can handle much more than 100W in the lows (despite having much higher listed power ratings) so whatever amp you have they'll top out at about 116dB. The style of music, how your band plays and how you play will have a much greater bearing on whether your 1x12" can cope than the venue size.

Try it! If you take both and unplug one, unplug the top cab so the bottom cab has the maximum boundary reinforcement from the floor.

17. basss

basss Supporting Member

I think a high end 12 can cut it on a gig as long as you are not playing hard rock and playing with musicians who know how to balance. I wouldn't consider the SWR a high end 12 - but if you were having trouble with it at an acoustic jam it must have been the loud kind of acoustic! Room acoustics can have a big effect - often more than the rig itself IME.

18. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Similar experience here. I have an MB-500 head, 700 RB-II head, and two G-K Neo 112 cabs, and for typical bar gigs and small clubs I can easily get by with either head and a single Neo112, even going up against drums and two guitars. The G-K amps have lots of headroom, and the Neo 112's are astounding for their size. I've only used both cabs once, and even then I probably would have been fine with a single cab and PA support. At all other shows requiring more, a big rig has been provided.

19. shawshank72

shawshank72

Check my avatar picture.
    Traynor DNB112 w/ 12 inch ext speaker
    For small gigs i just use the combo itself and its more than plenty.
    For the bigger shows i add the ext cab and im good to go.

20. johnpbass

johnpbass

I use an Aggie GS112 for "coffeehouse/restaurant" sized gigs. For a larger gig, I'd be more comfortable having a second 112 .

21. rapidfirerob

rapidfirerob Fusion rules! Supporting Member

I also have two GK Neo 112 IIs. I like having both for most gigs as I stack them vertically and can hear myself much better this way. My volume knob controls how loud I get regardless. You should have matching cabs if you're going to use two.