How long do you keep your contact lenses in?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Sep 28, 2013.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL A Hard Rockin Lover of GREENBURST Supporting Member

Media:
    On average how long will you keep your contact lenses in before taking them out? I generally take them out every night but with a new pair I have right now I've gone 3 days with them in with no problems.
  2. Ziltoid

Ziltoid Supporting Member

Hum, weeks?
  3. Dale D Dilly

Dale D Dilly Monster Supporting Member

Mine are supposed to be able to stay in for a month at a time. I usually wear them less than a week at a time. My eyes just get too dried out and irritated after five or six days. I could probably fight the problem with eyedrops, but it's just as easy to pop them out for a few days each week.

I'm fairly new to contacts and I have to say that they're really awesome and they really suck. For now my vanity and level of activity win out over comfort, but that could easily change a few years down the road.
  4. Monster Truck

Monster Truck

I used to leave mine in for 2 days, but about 4 years ago Doc said I can't wear them anymore.

I knew a guy that served a 90 day jail sentence and claimed to leave his in the entire time.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. LowLife350

LowLife350

Disclosures:
    none
    Wore contacts for almost 20 and developed really bad habits. I would often only take them out every month or two. It really is a bad idea, regardless of the type of contact.

Was fortunate to still have healthy enough eyes for lasik surgery three years ago.
  7. ShredderMaximus

ShredderMaximus

I think I might be coming up to my 3 year anniversary with my current contacts that I was only supposed to wear for a month. So there's that.
  8. karl_em_all

karl_em_all

Well it's about time there was a 'bass players who wear contacts' thread. I take mine out every night before bed.
  9. iamlowsound

iamlowsound

I take mine out every night and put them in every morning.

lowsound
  10. refbassist

refbassist

They said i'm supposed to keep them for a month but i change them at least once a year.
  11. Sonic_Death

Sonic_Death

My eyes get extremely irritated so I try to only wear them for as much time as I need to. Typically though, I'd say anywhere from 8-14 hours at a time. I've often thought about getting the daily contacts that you can just throw out when you're done.

I had some friends in college who would just wear their contacts for a month straight without taking them out, and this was before they made contacts designed for that kind of thing... couldn't imagine doing that.
  12. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister Supporting Member

I wear mine 12-15 hours per day. They come out every night and soak in Clear Care.

-Mike
  13. gavinspoon

gavinspoon

Careful with wearing contacts for longer than recommended.

The cornea needs to absorb oxygen directly from the air. Some contacts let oxygen through and some don't if you wear the non-permeable ones for too long you'll mess up your eyes.
  14. mkandolf

mkandolf

^ This

Put mine in at 5 in the morning and take them out at 10 or 11 at night so I have them in for 18 hours/day. My eye doc said at one time the blood vessels in my eyes were starting to grow toward the pupils (which is a bad thing) to get oxygen to that area of the eye. We switched contacts and I watch when my eyes start feeling dry now. On weekends I don't wear them as long or even wear my glasses instead.
  15. zachoff

zachoff

Every day. If I don't I wake up barely able to open my eyes & can't see a damn thing when I do. Dry eyes suck w/ contacts & I generally wear glasses, anyway.
  16. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

"Every waking hour."

I've been known to drift off for a nap for maybe an hour but I do not sleep in them on purpose.

I need a lot of correction so they're thick and even with improved materials, I worry about oxygen permeability. Materials get better all the time and what I can get today is much more comfortable for long-term wear than even just a couple of years ago. But I'd still never do an overnight's sleep on purpose.
  17. jazzy grille

jazzy grille - Arrogant Bastard Supporting Member

Every night.

Can't stand sleeping in them.
  18. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister Supporting Member

They make breathable contact lenses now.

-Mike
  19. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

my oxygen-permeables last me about 3 weeks on average. if they start to hurt i exchange them.
  20. Ziltoid

Ziltoid Supporting Member

I wear breathable lenses. Air optix something something.
  21. iamlowsound

iamlowsound

I wore mine for about three weeks in a row one time and ended up with an ulcer on my cornea. It was the most pain that I have ever felt in my life.

lowsound