How long to break in Roto 77?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Robus, Dec 9, 2013.

1. Robus

Robus Supporting Member

Hi. I put a set of Roto 77 45-105 on my Fender Jazz bass tonight. I had been using chromes and wanted something a little more midrangy. I don't know if the Rotos were a good choice or not for that purpose.

My initial reaction is not too favorable. The Rotos sound mid-rangy almost to the point of claustrophobic, without much high end or much fundamental either. Obviously they are brand new strings and need a break in period.

What would be a fair amount of time to give them? What changes can I expect to hear as they wear in? I play about two hours on a typical day.

I'm thinking of putting the chromes back on the Jazz and moving the rotos to the P, which currently has rounds. Any preferences for P or J with this particular string?

2. PhatRon

PhatRon supporting member Supporting Member

I'm really digging fender flats on my Jazz. I almost always like the chromes better when solo'd but the fender are better (for me) in the mix. nice thump, nice tight bottom, growly upper mids, very controllable top end. Give em a try.

3. jamersonburton

jamersonburton

1-2 weeks before they start setteling in

4. billgwx

billgwx Supporting Member

In my world of flats it's Roto 77 mediums or LaBella 760FL's on a P, Chromes light gauge on a J. I play less often so it took my Rotos a month or two to mellow out...if I played gigs often 1-2 weeks would probably do it.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. strappa

strappa Supporting Member

Roto 77 can take some time to break in
    I agree with the above, the rotos sound real good on a P
    Have you tried ground wounds?
    I am digging Labella 1/4 rounds on my jazz right now

7. WalterBush

WalterBush

On a whim I put the Steve Harris signature set on my jazz bass in lieu of my usual '66s. I put on a brass nut (because my day job is guitar tech, and I could) and added a treble bleed circuit for just a tad extra brightness.

I played my first shows with them last weekend and fell in love. There wasn't a sound I couldn't get out of them. And now I hear all that beautiful midrange might go away? Say it ain't so, I can't afford to slap a new set on every two weeks :crying:

8. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

I've logged quite a few hours on My Steve Harris bass with original strings. The midrange is still 99% and I still love these strings. I have a new set ready to go on one of my basses. I can't decide on the Ric or the Roadworn P.

9. WalterBush

WalterBush

Good to know, I'm new to flats on any of my basses and was afraid my newfound tonal bliss would be short-lived :)

10. 62Jazzbass

62Jazzbass

Indeed, that's what I found. While other posts seemed to say they will mellow and therefore improve Ina couple of weeks, this was exactly what I was not looking for. I really liked them because they sounded aggressive to me, but i found, over time that they began to disappear in the mix of a live setting, and I could not hear myself on stage.

I then tried TIs, which are a different animal all together, but four years later and I can still hear them singing on stage. I miss the metallic aggression the rotos when new, but the TIs are so musical, cut through beautifully, and Re so easy to play, il take the trade off.

11. NYCbassist

I have not found any loss of tone or Punch on Mine but I play with an aggressive finger style. That may be the difference. I switch off between RIC 4003 with stock strings(Cuts like a knife), Steve Harris P-Bass & SH Roto's(Also cuts like a knife) and My Roadworn with Unknown Rounds(Unidentified W gold,silver, red and turquoise Ball ends). It also stands out great in the mix. I use a Hartke LH1000 with Knobs set on B-5, M-6 & T-7. Plenty of room for adjusting my mids upward if the strings were to gradually "Fade' a bit. There are just so many variables involved.

12. 62Jazzbass

62Jazzbass

True. I found myself tweaking my tone more and more to compensate when I used the Rotos. I tried the TIs out of curiosity, and have found no need to adjust anything based on the aging of the strings so I just left em on.

13. Doctor_Clock

Doctor_Clock The Moon Machine Gold Supporting Member

+1 Really like the tension, feel and sound.

14. StevieMac

StevieMac

How’s the texture of the Roto 77s compared to other flats in terms of smoothness? I prefer a very smooth feeling sting my plucking fingers can easily slip over rather than a string that’s more on the grabby side.

Through searching I’ve seen the term “rough feeling” but those are older threads and I’ve also seen references to them changing their polishing process at some point to make the strings smoother. This seemed to be in reference to the Steve Harris set though and I’m not sure it’s applicable to the regular RS77s. Although it seems doubtful they would change the process just on the signature set but who knows. The SH strings will be too big a gauge for me.

Flats I’ve tried are: Chromes, Labella deep talking flats, and TI jazz flats. The chromes are the grabbiest of the three IMO (at least when new and it’s been ages since I had an old set of those).

Currently I’m using GHS Pressure wounds and love the feel (and sound) of those but am a little curious about the rotosound flats.

15. 62Jazzbass

62Jazzbass

I would not call them rough exactly, but they are nowhere near as smooth and slippery as TIs.

16. Robus

Robus Supporting Member

The Roto77s are not as smooth as the chromes I had been using.

Decisions, decisions. I'm thinking of flipping the Rotos over to the P bass and trying something else on the Jazz. I hear a lot of good things about the Fenders. Or I could front up the bucks and give the TI a try.

Do the Fender or TI flats work well strung through the body?

17. NYCbassist

The new Steve Harris 77's are supposed to be the smoothest Roto's ever. I got a set for $ 26 from Bassstringsonline(Thanks Jason). For that price they are worth a try. I like the tone and slipperiness of the TI's but they were just too floppy for me. 77's are the opposite end of the tension spectrum But so sweet for an aggressive attack.

18. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

I tried them out on my Jazz. I gave them 2 weeks, probably 12-15 hours of play time.
    I pulled them off last night and put the old La Bella's back on.
    Just could not get use the the rough, noisy, slow feel of them.
    The tone did nothing for me ether.
    I'll stick to Sadowsky's and La Bella's. I even like Chromes better.