1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

How low (or high) is your action at 12th fret?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by loinmute, Mar 20, 2011.

1. loinmute

loinmute

I have been in a battle. I like low action and I prefer a bit of clank.
    Trying to get to the lowest point without buzz coming out the amp at lower, lower-mid freq.

I believe I have found it: 1.8millimeter at the 12th fret. I measured from contact point to very bottom of the string. This has come after getting just the right amount of relief in the neck and getting some shoddy Hartke rounds off and going D'addario .45 105.

What is the measurement of some of ya'lls action? What are some of you guys prefering for relief?
  2. 5string5fingers

5string5fingers Supporting Member

1.8 millimeters is pretty dang low for me. I usually have mine around 3, but I've got a heavy right hand and I like a little fight in my basses.
  3. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses/Genz Benz - RIP/Mojo Hand FX
    personally I don't like super low action...IMO it has a negative effect on the overall tone when set to low...but that's purely subject I supose...I'll have to check and see where mine is set...
  4. JimiLL

JimiLL Supporting Member

not low enough!!!
  5. CBRXJ

CBRXJ

mines about 2.5mm on my vm jazz with dr fat beams .045-.105
  6. madmatt

madmatt

Low action makes it a little harder to dig in without getting some fret buzz.

At the 17th fret I keep mine at 7/64ths on the E-string side and 6/64ths on the G-string side. Usually works fine.

Oh, usually you want to measure it at the 17th fret, although you can measure it where ever the heck you want.
  7. BD Bass

BD Bass

2.7 mils.............SR500 Axe, so for me its where it has the tone I want. La Bella Deep Talkin, or Super Steps, 105's / 45's
  8. loinmute

loinmute

:bassist: Right! I want it so low lucifer will trip on em'

Edit: My relief is set pretty darn straight too. There is a little bit; they say two playing cards: I can barely fit one card at the 8th fret (with capo on 1st and finger on 24th)
  9. darkstorm

darkstorm

Mines at right about 1.6mm. I like low action, bit of clank and all. Roundwound strings of course. Lol.
  10. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

Generally about 5.5-6 mm. On my FL 5-stringer, I can't get the action high enough, so I really need to shim the nut and/or possibly get a spacer plate for the tailpiece.
  11. electracoyote

electracoyote

I'm doing good to get my action around 4/64ths to 5/64ths inch at the 12th fret. I have very little relief, and this generally allows access to all frets with no buzz if the frets are level.
  12. SurferJoe46

SurferJoe46

All my basses are @ .079"/2mm - two with 90/105 Elixir Nanos, one with ROTO77s and the other two with MiI 7250NPS Fender strings (Indonesian-made Fender strings) -

OH, and my AEB10 with Mapes Sintered Bronze Rounds at .090"/2.3mm.

I tend to keep my scoop at zero to about .003" or so.
  13. DTF

DTF Supporting Member

3mm@12th
  14. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

15. willsellout

willsellout

I keep my action at .060 using the Stewmac string action gauge.
  16. Paulo P

Paulo P

1.5mm on 17Th fret... I do not have measure on 12th yet...
  17. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

I could only measure with some allen wrenches sitting near me but on my Lakland Bob Glaub P with Labella Jamerson 52-110 flats it's about 3mm at the 12th.

With my Lakland Decade it's about 2.5mm at the 12th with Labella 49-109 flats.
  18. John Wentzien

John Wentzien

Disclosures:
    Artist:TC Electronic RH450 bass system
    2mm..I use the corner of a dollar-bill for a feeler guage for neck-bow.(very straight)
    Standard Rotos for strings.
  19. arsie

arsie

Using the above-mentioned allen wrench test, mine is slightly below 1.5mm with Chromes.
  20. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

:eek: That's almost 1/4"! That is definitely the highest action I have heard of.

Anyway, I measured the rock bass and it is 6/64" (I know, I know, but I always measure action in 64ths). So that is about 2.4mm. I quite often go up to 7/64" = 2.8mm.

How do people measure in tenths of a mm? Do you have rulers that have that? That would seem too small to actually read.