1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

How many bass amps (or heads) do you own?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Green Lantern, Nov 19, 2012.

1. Green Lantern

Green Lantern

In reading through these fourms for a while it seems that many don't find that silver bullet amp for them and say I'm done. It meets all my needs.
    A. Many seem to like collecting different amps or bass heads to have a lot of different sounds.

B. Some want different size amps to meet certain needs. Small combos for instance when they won't need their big heavy amp for certain gigs.

C. Some have not found that silver bullet amp yet and are searching still.

D. Some may want at least two different amps for different flavors.

As I continue my journey I believe I found the "silver bullet" amp for myself. However buying a 2nd bass head like a Carvin BX500 for under $400 for a different sound still seems appealing. However once learning my new amp and all its sounds I may not care about another amp. There is also the danger of becoming too materialistic and never being satisfied with what you have; always spending more money on what you don't need.

Which situation do you fall under and where do you think you might be in the near future?

2. Arthur Strand

Arthur Strand

Hi! I built a stereo bass rig in the 1970s for my Rickenbacker 4001 and the rig was sometimes used as a P.A. then I used a borrowed combo. I now have a Carlsbro Viper Bass combo for smaller jobs. The 200 x 200 stereo still works 37 years on and the Carlsbro may as well hang on until old age catches up. Both do the job. Spending money on stuff just for the sake of it is scarcely sensible even if you were a millionaire. Get what suits you within your budget and stick with it.

3. jnewmark

jnewmark Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Play guitar.
    I fall under the category named " Gas ", especially in the last 5 years or so, since the new lightweight bass heads have come out. I tried just about every one ! But, I usually sell them here on TB if they don't do it for me. Right now I own 3 bass heads. My "Silver Bullet " head is a Carvin BX1500, which is the best bass head I have ever used ( so far ! ), a GK MB200 , mainly used as a backup/headphone amp, and a soon to be used MusicMan HD150 head, for a small Blues/Rockabilly project band starting the first of the new year. I have also gone the pre/power route for many years, trying many different bass preamps and the usual suspects as far as power amps go. It's a continuous thing with me, but, the BX1500 is gonna be my go to amp for a long time.

4. lomo

lomo passionate hack Gold Supporting Member

3:

Gig head that will handle anything (M9)

Tiny practice head that fits in a gigbag pocket (GB Shuttle 3) and acts as a backup.

Walkabout 'cause it's my favorite sound and feel, even though it's not loud enough for my gigs.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

I found my "Silver bullet" after a long time searching.

Peavey Classic 400 into a fEARful 1515/66/1.

In fact its the only cab I own anymore, but I am working on getting another fEARful. The beauty is that regardless of the size the fEARful cabs have the same tonal footprint.

That said other flavors of amps are nice some times. In my stable I also have:

Peavey Mark VIII XP
    ART PC II -> Peavey IPR 1600
    Ampeg PF-500

I would also really be interested in a more powerful version of the Aguilar Tonehammer.

7. Modern Growl

Modern Growl Supporting Member

One.

Found "my" tone and I'm done with it.

8. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

I have three:
    - my main bass head that I use for 95% of the gigs I do
    - a small combo amp that gets used for the remaining ~4-5%
    - a huge rack sustem that just doesn't get used much anymore (except for occasional rehearsals) but isn't worth selling

9. KJung

KJung

I typically use two heads regularly.... one that is clean and what most would call more transparent and 'accurate' (mainly with my J Bass, which has a wide tonal footprint and sounds best to my ear with wide clean lows and clean upper treble extension), and a more 'wooly, fat, tubey' sounding head that vibes a bit of an 'old school' tone with my PBass (which IMO benefits from a higher distortion level in the midrange and a more organic, rough top end).

No turning of knobs can make those two 'classes of amps' sound anywhere like each other IME.

I have been using my Markbass F500 (and before that the previous F1 model) for YEARS for the first context, and recently picked up an Aguilar TH500 for the second.

Other heads come and go since I like to try stuff out.

10. KJung

KJung

Even considering the issues I mentioned in my earlier post, +1 in that I'd be perfectly happy doing every gig with my F500 (which is relatively similar to your Puma head, in that it is that magic IMO combination of 'clean but not sterile'). Works pretty much with everything in every situation.

However, fun to have a wooly, chewy, fat, rough sort of tone sometimes also! Probably could get there fine with a pedal and the F500.

11. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Im waiting for Bowlus to chime in here... :D

12. Duckwater

Duckwater

None. My main bass has all the tone I want, I just plug it into the PA.

13. TinIndian

TinIndian

I have an old Peavey MicroBass practice combo that I've owned for 25 years. I have a GK 700RBII that is in my bands practice room. My gigging head is a GenzBenz Streamliner900.

I have 2 Cabinets currently. A Mesa Road Ready 1x15 (TL606) that sits in the practice area and a Hartke HyDrive 410 that I gig with. I'm hoping to build a fEARful 15/6 though, over the winter.

14. jpknox

jpknox

Peavey MegaBASS x 2, Peavey AlphaBASS, Peavey Classic 400, Peavey Combo 300 - all used - cost anywhere from free to $249.00 - always looking for a good amp at a good price!

15. schecter5string

schecter5string

I have two heads, and a small combo.
    Hartke HA3500
    SWR studio 220
    Acoustic b20

I also have two cabs:
    Hartke hydrive 410
    Fender bassman 410

16. Means2nEnd

Means2nEnd Supporting Member

I have never been able to find “my tone” or even “the bass” I want every tone and every bass. I play a wide variety of music I guess but anyway. I think different basses sound better or different through different rigs. Here goes...

For a sort of permanent fixture at my studio/rehearsal space to compete with my two guitar players.

SWR SD1500 into a Mesa 4/12

For bigger gigs.

Aguilar DB 750 into a Mesa Powerhouse 1000

For my office in my house.

Warwick Tubepath 10.1 into a Warwick Pro 4.11

For my bedroom and grab and go (smoking with a fretless)

MarkBass combo II the 2/10 jobber

I'm ready for a micro head and from info I'm gathering a Puma is looking better and better so it's top on my gas list.

17. SteveC

SteveC

I have one little combo amp and extension cab.

After using my new IEM set up yesterday (two different gigs/situations) I won't be worrying about amps much any more.

18. Green Lantern

Green Lantern

I think since guitar players want different distortion and tones compared to bass players, they may need more amps than bass players. We normally just want a clean amp that provides enough power and headroom.

In trying to spend my money wisely, I bought a two 12 bass cabinet that weighs about 25-35 pounds lighter than many four 10 cabinets. Though it still weighs 70 pounds its is a little more manageable with its casters.So it's big enough to handle large gigs and its not too big for smaller gigs. With the Eq on the amp and adjustable tweeter, I am hopeful that the Aguilar Tone Hammer 500 and DB212 will be the only amp I need.

19. fokof

fokof One day ,I'll be in the future

I have a "modular" setup , if you consider IEM , the answer is 6.

-IEM as often as possible
    -I have 2 RCF ART310a , I use one on smaller gigs.
    -I have a RCF ART902as active sub wich I use on bigger, rock gigs or when I need more power on stage.
    -I have an old Mackie SRM450 wich I use when I take my RCFs as a PA with my little trio.
    - I also have a '69 B15 wich is collecting dust.

20. VanillaThundah

VanillaThundah Straight out a donkey's mouth Supporting Member

I'm most certainly under the B category. I'm currently looking for a certain amp head and tiny combo to fulfill all the "needs" lol. The new Peavey maxbass 1x10 combo (the 100w one) for tiny practice sessions, coffee shop gigs, and just when I'm feeling too lazy to carry the BX500 and 2x10 cab. The other is a Traynor YBA200-2 to pair with my 2x15 cab when I want to go major raging on the stage at a gig. Other than that, I can see myself happy as far as amps go.

21. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsments listed in profile
    I own a 3 heads at this point. I tend to have rigs set up in different locations.

Cabs are always in flux for me but the usual for me is 3 as well. A 410 set up in a theater, one in my Studio, and 210 at home for on the fly and/or smaller shows.