1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

How many bass guitars do you need?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Peter S, May 20, 2012.

1. Peter S

Peter S

BACKGROUND
    I am aged 59 and have been playing for 3 years. Prior to this I played for 10 years up to age 25 and then took the break. I live in Northern Ireland and have just retired and I play a lot - scales and play along to songs etc. I am in 2 bands and would join another if they would take an old fart. I have a Marcus Miller Jazz, a Yamaha 5 string which is brilliant and a Squire fretless with a Gotoh bridge which is also great.

THE PROBLEM
    I want an American Fender Precision - just one of the new ones not vintage stuff. I can't sell the Marcus Miller Jazz for personal reasons and although it's a bit Marcus Millerish the Messa walkabout scout can add the necessary bottom. Point is do I need a P bass? I think "yes" because every bass player should have a P bass at one time in their life and I love the thump! And say I die without getting one - what then? I put a pillow over wife's head and she said she would go halfers if I took the pillow off. Thing is I don't think old blue lip's (as I now call her) heart is really in it. Am I being silly? Needless to say with the economy and all, bands here make Jack at gigs but I don't really mind that. I am going to look up mim comments on this site but I really want a US one. Any views on do I need another bass? Of course I can't afford it - goes without saying. Pete

2. klaus486

klaus486

Disclosures:
    sales geek Portland Music co.
    How about looking for a used but not "vintage" Pbass? A bit cheaper......

3. SteveC

SteveC

You really only NEED one. Everyone will chime in with this and that, but really, one.

Flame away, but deep down you know I'm right.

danroche likes this.
  4. ffutterman

ffutterman Talentless Bass Enthusiast

Fun answer: More

Un-fun answer: "It's the player, not the bass"

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Brubaker Guitars, Boom Bass Cabinets
    If her heart's not really in it, I presonally wouldn't want the help. It might come up later.

I had a recent MIM P bass, Fiesta red, that picked up for around $300. If I were you I'd strongly consider one of them vs. a US model since cost is a factor. I didn't feel like it was a compromise over a US bass. Excellent fit and finish and it played and sounded like a nice P.

I own one P bass type bass and it's a parts bass I picked up for next to nothing.

7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Brubaker Guitars, Boom Bass Cabinets
    No, you just think you are. It's understandable but everyone is not you.
    :)

No flame, just sincere disagreement. I like and get paid playing fretted AND fretless. I only need one if I'd just stop playing the other. But I'm a musician and IMO that's counterproductive and unecessarily restrictive. So for my needs...
    :cool:

So if the OP wants a P bass vibe that's what fits. Maybe he does only need one bass but again, everyone is not in the same situation.

8. Premierbass

Premierbass

Disclosures:
    Owner, Premier Bass Guitars
    Q: How many basses do you need?

A: One more than you have ;)

You only live once...get the P.

Dan

9. Nev375

Nev375

So far, I need 3. Fretted, fretless and 12 string... although TB nearly has me brainwashed into thinking I need a P bass with flats too. Oh! and a tort guard! (very important that.)

10. No Malarky

No Malarky

My accountant says I have enough.

My O.C.D. says there is no such thing.

11. michael_atw

michael_atw Supporting Member

I like to have a few - I think it's good for the ears and for variations.

I suppose the perfect circle would be a J, P, humbucker-style, Ric, semi-hollow, acoustic, fretless, 5'er, 6'er, active, passive, and 8-string.

12. Stewie26

Stewie26 Gold Supporting Member

I have 7 basses. I mainly play two of them and the rest have been getting dusty. I was actually thinking of selling a few.

13. alembicguy

alembicguy Lone Wolf Miner

How many basses do I need??

ALL OF THEM!

14. mellowinman

mellowinman Guaranteed to break the Ice at Naughty Parties Supporting Member

How many basses do I need?

Well, one, for sure. With less than one, I would have trouble playing bass at all, and there is no way I could play bass in my band. I mean, the guitarist let me borrow his brother's Washburn, but BOY DID THAT SUCK!!

So I definitely need one.

But I kind of need two, because for some songs, I use the five string, plus, having two on stage helps me get more girls. (that's a joke)

So I probably need two.

But both my basses are Fender Jazzes, and I wish I had a Rickenbacker too, just so I do, so I might need three.

I think with three, I'd be good, but a Gibson SG style bass would really add a lot to the collection, plus I've never even played a designer bass, and I've always wanted to get a really beat up one and refinish it, plus I've always wanted to try and build one.

So I think if I had about nine, I might be getting close.

What was the question, again?

15. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 EBMM Nut Supporting Member

I don't need to have any basses, but I like to have them.

16. salcott

salcott

I have four. I need four.

17. kreider204

kreider204

OP: You don't need it; you want it. If you can afford it, get it.

/thread

18. mcm

mcm

just one - p with flats baby

19. Bassbubble11

Bassbubble11 Supporting Member

I have been a Jazz Bass guy forever. I didn't think I needed a P bass until I got one.

My point is YES you need a P LOL. Personally I wouldn't get a new American P bass. They are way overpriced for what you get IMO. I would look at CV Squier P Bass before a new American Fender.

20. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

I have more than I need and not as many as I want.
    As the old saying goes, "when your outgo exceeds your income your upkeep will be your downfall". I have a long way to go before my outgo exceeds my income so for now I'm still buying basses, needed or not.:bassist:

21. Mike M.

Mike M.

You know, when you talk about your average, everyday Joe like myself I couldn't agree with you more. While I'm a decent player I'm no pro and my only gig these days (due to lack of free time) is at church. But I have three basses that I use there. Not all for the same service, but depending on what kind of set or what songs we play determines what bass I'll use.

If I feel a 5 string bass will add to the song(s) then I'll use it. Turns out that this Sunday the songs we're playing really don't need a 5'er so I'm using my P bass. We also play acoustic sets on occasion and for those my fretless bass really seems to hit the spot. All very handy tools to have.

But if forced to pick one? Tough one because I play them all when I can.

Can I keep two?