How many basses do you use?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kuuri, Jul 7, 2011.

?

How many DIFFERENT basses do you regulary?

1. 1

183 vote(s)
    20.9%
  2. 2

280 vote(s)
    32.0%
  3. 3

207 vote(s)
    23.6%
  4. 4

99 vote(s)
    11.3%
  5. 5+

107 vote(s)
    12.2%
  1. kuuri

kuuri

One simple question, how many basses do you use? NOT how many basses do you own. How many do you use on a regular basses. Wether it be your stage bass, practice bass or live bass. How many basses do you use regulary? ( And why ? )

You might ask why I ask this. Because im a new bassist I have 2 basses being a Squire Made in Idno-what-ever-it-is Pbass and a Traben Array attack 4 sting made in Korea. I'v been considering a Fender pbass for about 400 dollars. Because right now im not a good bassist Im not in a band nor do I play with anyone on a regular bases, I just stay in my room tab out music and play it. But some songs my Traben can't reach in recpect to tone, those tones are 90% ov the time are a Pbass. So I was and are onsidering buying simple fender bass. And NOT a squire they are not my company I dislike them a lot. So what do you say?
  2. Flabass

Flabass Supporting Member

Three. G&L L2000 with a jazz neck, G&L Legacy (Precision) and a Fender P with a Jazz neck and Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounders. Usually depends on my mood or the tone I'm looking for. They each have their own personality. I also have a Fender Deluxe Jazz and a Fender passive jazz but don't play them much. I really don't care if I match the tone of a song I'm learning because the audiences I play for wouldn't know anyway. Try a G&L L2000 Tribute in that price range.
  3. centrefold

centrefold

3 Basses

I have 2 spector basses for live shows/practices:
    5 String Euro
    4 String Euro

1 bass I play at home:
    Ibanez 5 string Ergodyne.

I regularily play with 3 basses. I dont think I need anymore however if I was going to buy 1 more bass I would get a 4 string to also play with at home with a C# tuning.
  4. kuuri

kuuri

Every person is different, witch is a good thing. Im a person who if I was to play live some point in the future if I dont have the right or similar tone It hurt me even though some 90% ov the listeners would not know the differents but it does effect me. This is why I wish to look for another bass.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ljazz

ljazz Supporting Member

Currently using 4. I play in a couple different settings, but usually take a P style strung with flats (or really really dead nickel rounds), and a roundwound strung J. One set is for a blues gig where the guitarist/band leader tunes to Eb. The other set is in standard tuning.
  7. rzpooch

rzpooch

I have been using 4 basses lately. My trusty Carvin bb 5string, a Squier pbass that is modded, a new Squier jag ss (it is a lot of fun), and my red glitter Harmony ss.
    I used the 5 string exclusively for over 15 years, then decided I wanted to go back to a 4 string. I already had the Harmony and I have been in tinkering with it. The Squiers are fun to tinker with too. They all sound fine for what I do and I don't worry about banging them around on or off stage! I play mostly covers these days, so all 4 do the job fine. They look good, play good, and sound good too! What more can you ask for!
  8. Longhair

Longhair Guest

I own 4 guitars and 3 basses and use all of them within a 30 day period.

What I do is rotate out a guitar and bass once a week just to have something different. It keeps the GAS down because I feel like I have a new instrument - each has a different neck & body configuration.
  9. Jools4001

Jools4001 Supporting Member

I use three on gigs with my rock covers band.

My Ric is my main bass, it's in standard tuning - My Ric does about 2/3rds of the gig
    My Epi T-Bird Pro is tuned to Eb - it's used for the first 8 songs in the second set - that are all songs by bands that used this tuning.
    My fretless five string is used for the ballads and songs that were originally played on fretless
  10. CrankenStein

CrankenStein

i own 5 basses: 4 squiers and a stingray. i usually play my squiers though, my stingray is just sitting in the closet collecting dust haha
  11. carlos840

carlos840

I have 14 basses, use whichever matches my shoes that night!

Those are my most used, although i dont take the 6 string out much these days!

(actually looking at that pic, they are kind of sorted from most used on the left to least used on the right!)

[​IMG]
  12. pygmygrizzly

pygmygrizzly

I have four bass's. a spector, and an alverez 5. but I only really play a fender jazz fretted and fretless. I haven't even taken the spector out of its case in a year.
  13. kuuri

kuuri

When you say epi you mean epiphone right? How are they? I'v never played one or seen one. And how often do you use a fretless? I do covers just by my self use-ally, mostly ov classic rock being the clash led zep' guns and roses ect and metal covers from bands like iron maiden metallica cannibal coprse and children of bodom. I do tend to very in musical covers thats why I bought the versitile Traben. Id imagine The clash would use a fretless do you reccemend one? If so witch brand. Id perfer any bass but ibenez/Squire
  14. kuuri

kuuri

@carlos: Ohh Sheeat!!! why do you need 14?!?
  15. carlos840

carlos840

Because i can!
  16. kuuri

kuuri

Well said, well said >:3!!
  17. madmatt

madmatt

1...at a time.
  18. tabdog

tabdog

I use one at a time,

Tabdog
  19. BassNeo

BassNeo

I own (and use) three.

Peavey foundation S - my main bass for stage and practice
    Fender Squire MB-5 - used for obvious reasons
    Peavey T-40 - I like the funk sound it has and use it for off tuning / slap.
  20. jay tay

jay tay

Media:
    up untill recently I would have said 5... one fretted six string, for everything I need frets on. A fretless five string, as a fretles alternative to the six. A fretles P, for getting a double bass type sound. A fretless Fender Urge, for funky gigs. Finely a Electric Acoustic Bass, for unplugged sets. However I just got a Fretles Six String, That pretty much does the jobs of all the other fretles Basses, and I've quit the unplugged gig, so it's just the two at the moment!
  21. SoVeryTired

SoVeryTired Endorsing nothing, recommending much Supporting Member

1, because that's all I have. It's a P-J though and, to my fairly uneducated ears, it does pretty good P and J impressions and a good blended sound. At the moment I can't see me swapping instruments in between songs, just because I play in a church band and the set is fairly continuous. Some day in the not too distant future I'll upgrade and will probably keep my current bass as a backup, but I'm not sure whether I'd play more than one on a regular basis.

But I reserve the right to change my mind. :)