How many basses have you owned?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by steweDbass, Apr 11, 2014.

1. steweDbass

steweDbass Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist and Foreign Agent; Deviser Guitars, Japan
    How about listing what you've owned and corrently own with a
    little bit of feedback about the instrument.
    I've had a fair few come through in my time including those I have reviewed for Bacchus / Deviser of course. Lets think.

Epiphone - piece of crap for beginners
    MIJ Aria Pro II - beginner so didn't know value of bass - liked it though
    Vestax 5 string - shiiite
    US Pedulla pentabuzz fretless - gorgeous
    US Pedulla Rapture - hmmm not so hot.
    UK JD 4 string fretless - excellent
    US Fender Precision Deluxe - Great
    MIJ Yamaha TRB PII 6 - Great neck. Not too keen on the preamp though. but kept it none the less.
    MIJ ESP - Jaguar style bass - forget the name - good bass though.
    MIJ ESP Amaze 4 string - Amazing just as you'd expect, but bloody pricey!
    MIJ ESP Amaze 5 String - Oh yeah!
    MIJ ESP Bottom Line Fretless - very nice, chinnamon pre sounds beautiful.
    MIJ ESP Edwards EAM128 QM - great! Much like the Amaze but p-ups not as good
    MIJ ESP Edwards Ikuo Signature, Black - yeah great instrument indeed, good for heavy rock / funk.
    MIJ ESP J signature Bass - nice enough, not my kind of bass though... and so expensive!
    MIJ Moon JJ5 Fretless - Awesome
    MIJ Moon JB4 - Ken armstrongs - yup, very very nice
    MIJ Moon JJ4 - Superb
    MIJ Blade B2 - Blue Stain - great, bit bright though.
    MIJ Blade B3 - Natural - gorgeous!
    MIJ Blade B4 5 string - cherry burst - NTMB preamp oh yeaaaahhh !
    MIJ Kubicki Blaster - white - Cool, great neck, light weight body, punchy as you like!
    MIJ Kubicki Blaster - Red - My current refurb project.
    MIJ Bacchus STrong 4 - NTMB pre, f'in great!
    MIJ Bacchus Woodline 4 -2002 - A simple but fantastic jazz bass, great build quality.
    MIJ Bacchus Strong 5 - NTMB - One of the best I ever played.
    MIJ Bacchus Strong LTD 4 - NTMB - Even better than above.
    MIJ Bacchus Standard 5 - Maple board, barts, XTCT pre - Very very nice indeed
    MIJ Bacchus Standard 5 - Ebony board, XTCT Pre - " "
    MIJ Bacchus Grooveline 5 - XTCT Pre - Yes, YEs YES! Brilliant, loved it, so simple and light, but kicked ass and just sounded good right away.
    MIJ Bacchus STD JB5 - Aguilar OPB2 - Awesomeness, nice tonal variety
    MIJ Bacchus TF5ASH - "" "" - My go to bass right now
    MIJ Bacchus Twentyfour 5 LTD Zebrawood 2004 XTCT- Oh my god!
    MIJ Bacchus Twentyfour 5 LTD 2006 NTMB - Quilted Maple - Ash - Holy cow of Bethlehem!
    MIJ Bacchus Twentyfour 5 2003 Alder - XTCT - Pretty fine, but not as good as the others above
    MIJ Bacchus WLJB5 - Passive - great very very nice Jazz bass indeed.
    MIJ Bacchus Woodline DX5 Passive - Uh huh, this was beautiful, very clear but rich tone
    MIJ Bacchus Woodline DX5AC - XTCT pre - Superb
    MIJ Bacchus Woodline DX4AC - XTCT pre - " "
    MIJ Bacchus Twentyfour DX5 - XTCT - Brilliant sound, not my favourite neck though, prefer the TF5ASH.
    MIJ Bacchus Twentyfour DX4 - XTCT - " "
    MIJ Bacchus DX5BGP - Sexy looks, lightweight, big sound. Love it.
    MIP Bacchus TF 501 - Big bang for small buck - yeah it's very good but lacks the attention to detail it's MIJ cousins have..
    MIC Bacchus UG4M - Bass Bomb pre - holy f@%k for an MIC bass surprisingly excellent. It kicks! Still using this as a four string.
    MIJ Bacchus BJ PJ bass 1998 - blow job in yer pajamas? Almost better than sex, but not quite.
    MIJ Made By Aska - AC70's 5 - XTCT Oh my god, just gorgeous. STR Build at affordable prices.
    MIJ 1997 Ken Smith Burner 5 - Ken Smith Tone and build quality at an affordable price. Very very very nice indeed.
    MIJ Atelier Z JHJ89 - Really really nicely made, sounded great to, but I didn't like the neck profile too much personally.

I think there were a few others, but not so memorable ones. I have had numerous Bacchus handmade come through me, like about 20 or so used models, all very consistent in build, so didn't list them all as they were the same models just different stains.
  2. djasterix

djasterix Supporting Member

Not as many as you, but here they are...

1987 MIJ Squier Precision Bass (owe some bass for the money, I paid 150 bucks for it...)
    2010 Cort Action DLX-V (Nice bass, was my transition bass from long time of not playing)
    2012 Cort Artisan A5 (Beautiful bass with that distinct mellow Bartolini sound)
    2012 Cort GB5 Custom (This is my go-bass, nice tonal range and lots of 1/4 punder growl)
    2000 MIA Fender Jazz Bass V Deluxe (New acquisition, great classic sound and incredibly light)
  3. steweDbass

Disclosures:
    Cool, I often wondered about the Cort basses, Korean made right? They always looked really good for the money.

4. gregmon79

gregmon79 Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Nothing special for most I'm sure but very special to me.

'99 Squier P- first bass. Still own and play all the time. I've missed the heck out of this bass. The only thing original is the body, but I stripped and refinished that even. EMG-PAX's. Mighty mite maple neck/board. All black hardware and a BAII bridge to match. Love this bass but don't play it much live. Soon to change I hope with the arrival of my SA EQP :)

Early 90's Ibanez ATK 300- my main player. Bought it used in a Sam ash probably 11 years ago or so. Love this bass. Cuts through like nobody's business and sounds wonderful. Very versatile as well. No mods really. Just different knobs. It's perfect the way it is.

'13 Squier Affinity P/J- mod city. Most recent buy. Great bass. Awesome balance and playability. All hardware swapped out and EMG GZR's for electronics. Great player.

2000's ibanez sound gear- can't remember the specific model but it was a bass model. Sounded and played great, but for whatever reason this bass ended up in pieces hanging on my wall. Hmmmmm..... Wish I still had the neck bolts, I'd probably try to piece this guy back together and build it back with some bad a**ery.

My list is short. Never had a lot of cash laying around to buy a lot of basses. But pedals? Fa'get about it!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Hobobob

Hobobob Don't feed the troll, folks. Supporting Member

Samick PJ - first bass. Great neck, the J pup was dead but the P pup sounded pretty good.

Schecter Stiletto 5 string - had a cool looking flame maple veneer. Neck was nice, but the B string was muddy and indistinct.

Ocean 5 string - a lot of bass for a GC house brand. Heavy, but the tone was good and the feel was nice. There's one in the GC used section and I'm tempted to indulge my nostalgia.

Warrior custom 6 string - I hate to say it, but I regret having bought this one. I was inexperienced when I got it, and I didn't learn how to spot the problems it had until way later. Great tone and pretty to look at though.

Ibanez SR706 - my current #1. The tone is modern yet fat, but I'm falling out of love with the feel of it - the neck is almost flat on the back, and the string spacing is a little too tight.

Schecter Raiden 4 string PJ - my favorite 4 string neck ever, but the tone wasn't quite all there. Replaced the pups with EMG X's but still couldn't quite love it. The p pup sounded great for slapping tho.

Breedlove acoustic 4 string - tone is rich, warm, and clear. Neck is a little chunky, but it's worth it for that TONE.

Fender Jazz 24 - very good looking bass. The stock pups leave a bit to be desired, and I just can't get along with the neck profile (I like em wide and thin, this one's narrow and thick). A lot of J bass for the money tho.

Dean Edge 5 fretless - I bought it for cheap to get in to the fretless thing, and it's been great for that. Fretboard is unfinished rosewood and is getting kinda marred up, but the neck is very comfortable. Tone is a little bland with the stock pups and pre.
  7. OldDirtyBassist

OldDirtyBassist

I've owned over 30 basses, and miss every one of them.

Highlights:

American Standard Precision 1995 Black
    American Standard Precision 1995 Vanilla-ish
    Fender Jazz Plus Deluxe Ash
  8. steweDbass

Disclosures:
    Just remembered a handful of important ones. Don't know how I could've forgotten some of these!

MIJ Yamaha JP1 - Amber, gorgeous neck, construction was sublime, but again the pre-amp and p-ups were just a little too clinical and noisy too.

MIJ Bacchus 24 1st generation 5 string; XTCT, brilliant neck, light body, deep set neck joint, excellent resonance, but only had a two band EQ....if three it would've rocked!

MIK Clive 5 string Modern - stock pre was good, pups were OK response not so great through the whole tonal spectrum, workable though, and the neck kept shifting...NG for a pro.

Tune TWB5 Hybrid - awesome sounding thing...beautifully made...but the neck kept shifting :( couldn't take the humid Japanese summer.

Tune TWB6 Ash - Gorgeous clear tone, awesome bridge, loved it, better than the Yamaha JP IMO....the neck was solid on this one....great.

Tune Slapping 5 - Tune's preamp rocked, this bass just sounded great, looked cool in it's strange angular modern tune sort of way! Neck was fine too no issues.

I also miss a lot of the basses I had come through me, but I love trying out and reviewing them all and it lead me to select the brand I most trust for cost, quality, performance and quality.
    So my verdict is that Moon, ESP and Bacchus / Deviser basses have rugged necks that deal with temperate change quite well, whereas Tune seemed to have a few issues although it might have just been one "bad" neck though, not sure. THe Yammy JP was also not as resilient to climatic changes.
  9. xfgjsjia

xfgjsjia

Not as many as you, but here they are...
  10. ASATMAN

ASATMAN Supporting Member

Close to 50 over 30 years.
  11. superdick2112

superdick2112 Registered Spector Addict

Too many to list here, but somewhere in the neighborhood of 200 basses over the past 30 years.
    I'm down to 6 at the moment (3 Spectors, a Hamer 12, a Fender Jazz and a Custom Neo), and past highlights include;
    2 Rickenbacker 4080 doublenecks
    A Steinberger L2
    A '72 Fender fretless P-Bass
    A Schecter Custom Shop AstroBass
    A BC Rich Bich 8-string bass
    Several Jackson Custom Shop Concert Basses
    An Anniversary Stingray in quilted maple
  12. deeptubes

deeptubes

In order:
    '86 Kramer Aerostar* - feather light in both weight and tone
    '81 Fender Precision Special* - very nice bass, should've kept it
    '84 Fender Precision Elite II - heavy, great tone, love this bass
    '00 Fender Precision Special Deluxe - old school vibe and tone
    '09 ESP LTD B-155DX* - never bonded with this one
    '?? Maestro fretless - meh, more of a conversational piece than a player - may end up as a floor lamp
    '90 Fender HM - the closest thing I have to a Jazz
    '04 Fender Dimension - fantastic secret little bass, essentially Fender's SR clone
    '79 Peavey T-40 - had been gas'ing for one of these for some time before I finally scratched the itch

* - sold
  13. Crusher47

Crusher47 Tattoo'ed Freak Supporting Member

Used to Own...
    Warwick Corvette - Awesome bass, but had it a few years ago when I was still a beginner/noob and felt I really didn't deserve it since it was so nice, so I sold it like an idiot.
    MIJ Geddy Lee Fender Jazz - See above, same reason.

Currently own:
    Couple of Frankenbasses - Fun to play and mess around with, practice soldering/changing pickups, trying different strings, etc.
    Sterling S.U.B - Can't afford/don't deserve the real thing - Fun to play though and sound great
    Ibanez SRX2 - Just picked it up, sounds decent and got it cheap
  14. GM60466

GM60466

too many to list
  15. gumbynotpokey

gumbynotpokey

JC Penny catalog bass starter piece of crap circa 1979

Cort P copy until 1991 or so

-- laid out of playing, then --

Carvin LB70P 4 string 2004 still own and play regularly
    Carvin LB70P 4 string fretless 2012 still own and play regularly

:bag:
  16. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Reposted from a similar thread;

Last edited: Jun 20, 2014
  17. djasterix

djasterix Supporting Member

Those Cort are pretty good basses, my three are Indonesian, and I'm really happy with quality and workmanship. The Action V-DLX has been sold, but I still have the GB5 and the A5, and both sound great!

Still saving for one of those Bacchus... :bassist:
  18. JACink

JACink

I haven´t owned nearly as many as you, only 6, but I still own all of them!
  19. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Around 70 +/-
  20. bassman10096

bassman10096 Supporting Member

Made a list once. 68 plus or minus one or two. Currently own four. The high water mark at any one time was 12.
  21. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Nobody is stupid enough to actually pay me to play their gear.
    About 75-85. Could be closer to 100 though.

Used to own 17-18 at one point but am down to 7 and one on order.

I doubt I will be buying and selling much more in the future though... I am very happy with my current lineup.