1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

How many "I'll take it"s before you actually sell it?

Discussion in 'Classifieds Usage Discussion and Help' started by frootbooty, Nov 17, 2012.

1. frootbooty

frootbooty Supporting Member

Is it just me? Every time I sell something, I have at least 3 people tell me they will take it and then either disappear or flake before I actually sell it.

2. cybersnyder

cybersnyder Always groove.... Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Xsonics cabinets
    Me too. I really wish we could leave negative feedback for that. You can't leave negative feedback even if you hold it for someone that says they'll pay you in two days or whatever.

3. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

I've kinda been out of the selling game from a little while now, but it's never been a big deal for me. I maybe get one every 3 or 4 items that I put up for sale.

4. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

I will never pull a ad or put put one on hold with out at least a deposit.

Money talks....

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. cybersnyder

Disclosures:
    It even goes to "What's your PayPal address", so I send that to them and then they disappear. So you're stuck in limbo. It's the exception, but it's becomming more common.

7. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike

I usually ask questions before I commit ...

Once I commit I feel obligated to buy .

That said I don't commit unless I have the funds and am sure I want to take possession.

I have asked a couple times long ago for a chance to sell something to gain funds but have realized that's just not the way to do business. Don't commit unless your ready with $$$ in hand

8. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike

that's where one can set a time limit ,say 4 hours and then move on .... Unless you've talked in person and have circumstances such as work etc... That delays payment ....

I've had sellers tell me first pay gets it ...

I don't blame them.

Look at my feedback ...most says instant payment

9. cybersnyder

Disclosures:
    I think the buyer should, after an agreement has been made between both parties, post in the thread an official "I'll take it". If they don't pay within 24 hours, then negative feedback can be left. Likewise, upon receiving payment the seller has two business days to ship the item.

10. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Proprietor, ACF Custom
    On stuff I have up now, I've had at least 4 different people say they want it... then never follow through.

I'm just blaming it on Christmas shopping at this point in the year :D

11. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Supporting Member

Media:
    :meh:

I recently had this happen to me, too. A "buyer" told me he would take something, asked for my Paypal address, and told me he would pay me that night.

3 days later, no communication, I finally PM'd him, asking what was up (in the meantime, missed out on two potential buyers that bought something else when I turned them away, stating the item was sold.....:mad:) Finally got back to me a few days after I PM'd him, saying he no longer wanted it.:rolleyes:

IMO, negative feedback should almost be left in cases like these.

12. cybersnyder

Disclosures:
    I did that once and was told that I couldn't leave negative feedback since money didn't change hands. I definitely agree that negative feedback should be left in these cases.

13. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Supporting Member

Media:
    Hmmm, I am gonna look into that. We need a way to sort out the flaky buyers that completely waste the time of sellers, just as much as we need to weed out the shady sellers, IMO.

14. Lowactnsatsfctn

Lowactnsatsfctn

I would have done the same. Its not fair to the buyer and it puts the sale on hold for serious shoppers. IME, most people won't inquire about an item after a post says " I'll take it, PM coming".
    +1

15. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Gold Supporting Member

Shady sellers are one thing but why complicate things trying to weed out flakes? They're just part of doing business. It's pretty simple, until the buyer pays he's not for real and the first one who pays gets it. I agree poor communication is very annoying but compared to eBay or Craig's List the TB classifieds are a dream.

I stated my intention to buy an expensive amp several months ago and before we could work out shipping details my head gasket went and I had to back out. I'd have been seriously pissed if I'd gotten any kind of negative feedback over that. So how would exactly would the mechanism work by which you separate the flakes from honest, well intentioned buyers? Basically you're talking about negative only feedback for people who at worst annoyed you. You don't think people receiving it would complain? Like the mods don't have enough to do around here without arbitrating that petty crap.

16. cybersnyder

Disclosures:
    The problem then is that you get multiple payments for the same item and I have to return people's money. As a buyer, if I send PayPal payment I assume that I bought the item. Then I get a refund then it looks shady, like the seller is backing out. That's why if someone says the want it and goes so far as to ask for your PayPal address, that's a commitment. If you're not sure you want to buy, then don't commit. It's the same thing as placing a bid on eBay and then trying to back out.

17. Lowactnsatsfctn

Lowactnsatsfctn

Backing out is one thing, as long as there is some sort of communication about it. Life happens, and we all have stuff come up. Its when your " buyer " disappears and doesn't respond, that bothers most people.

Or delay a sale, or deal for another shopper that would have went through otherwise. Its possible that Real Potential buyers will purchase the item they saw while the "deal is pending".

18. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Gold Supporting Member

So how do you tell the difference between "life happening" and being a flake? It's an arbitrary case by case judgement that could (and no doubt will) mean different things to different people. Right now there is a clear line where money has to exchange hands for feedback to be left and you want to take that line away. All I want to know is what exactly are the new criteria for leaving negative feedback for a deal that hasn't yet taken place. How do you keep it fair?

And speaking of fair any new feedback system should include being able to leave positive feedback for people who bump your thread saying nice things about you or what you're selling. Negative only feedback is unbalanced. You can't train a dog only saying "NO!".

But don't get me wrong there are potential buyers here that have wasted my time that I would genuinely like to beat with a hockey stick. The ones that treat me like the service/shipping department of a large corporation are who really bug me...I wish I'd never hear back from those idiots. If we can include them I'm in!

19. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

I can certainly understand your frustration, but there are often no "blanket policies" that can be instituted that don't have the potential to inadvertently screw over someone for circumstances beyond their control.

What if the buyer's pet iguana was run over by a steamroller?

Just a touch of the absurd to indicate that things happen, and non-responsiveness isn't always due to cold feet. Sometimes circumstances get in the way, an a good buyer shouldn't be slapped with negative feedback just because life got in the way of a transaction.

All that said, I've bought enough here and seen enough "pending payment" posts to know that your point is not a minor one. I'm only arguing that your solution would only be effective against the "cold feeters." My take is that if one honestly-intentioned buyer who ends up in a bind gets saddled with negative feedback, that's more egregious than not making a sale. The classifieds are not for bass dealers, so this shouldn't be affecting your livelihood.

My $0.02.

A very valid point. This isn't a simple issue in my book.

20. Lowactnsatsfctn

Lowactnsatsfctn

Flakes won't respond :meh:

21. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

Flakes always have excuses