1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

How many of you do this when playing bass?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by AQUANOVA, Dec 8, 2012.

1. AQUANOVA

AQUANOVA Gold Supporting Member

I've noticed that there's something that I do subconsciously when I'm playing.
    I've been doing it a long time and have no control over it.

Between phrases in a line, I move my left hand up the fretboard and then back, for no apparent reason.
    Just a quick exit from the position I'm in and then back, to start the next phrase.

I was watching MarlowDK on YouTube today, and I noticed that he does the same thing. :)
    So now I'm rather happy that I do it.

How many of you do this when you're playing?
    It seem as if it would be counter productive, but I just have to do it.
    Any ideas why?
  2. Plays_For_Dog

Plays_For_Dog Supporting Member

Helps you keep time subconciously. It's like tapping your toe.

I don't do it that often. I do have restless legs while playing. :/
  3. Salamenster

Salamenster

I do it occasionally, but than with the sound included. You know: "WHOOOOooooM". It's cool.
  4. MostlyBass

MostlyBass Supporting Member

It's fun and can also be used as a muting technique. Nothing wrong with UNLESS it interferes.
  5. Tupac

Tupac

I see pros do this all the time for seemingly no reason. Always wondered why they did this. I figured they just do it out of boredom and to look cooler.
  6. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I do the same thing without thinking about it. I think its something I picked up from the first guitarist I played with. He was a huge influence on me and it was because if him that I started playing music.
  7. mellowinman

mellowinman

When my wife plays a rest or open note, she does something that looks vaguely like she's saluting. I don't know why, and neither does she. She just does it.

I like to pretend it's necessary for my hand to be on the neck, as if playing is actually harder than it is, just like on keyboards, I often pretend to be playing with my left hand, when usually, I am not.

We all have our ways, I guess.
  8. Steve Dallman

Steve Dallman Supporting Member

Like guitar players that turn up the volume knob between every phrase even though its been up all set?
  9. bobm2112

bobm2112 Supporting Member

I do it to this day. I cant remember why or when I started. I bet I saw Cliff Burton or Steve Harris do it so I started and its been there ever since.
  10. bluewine

bluewine

I'm not sure, I think I just stay in position.

Blue
  11. smcfarland1337

smcfarland1337 Supporting Member

Yeah I do it as well.
    I always without fail do it when I play Sunshine of Your Love.

Da-dada *slide to nowhere* DA daa.

Every time.
  12. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

I do it too. Especially when I'm playing a funk line or something with a lot of space in it. But people are always fascinated with the fact that I chew gum when I play, but I chew out of time. I get comments on that all the time. They say "How do you play one tempo and chew another?" I don't know. I just do.
  13. Thick McRunfast

Thick McRunfast Supporting Member

Relieve muscle tension and reorient to "home"?
  14. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

I move my mouth almost like a silent mumbling.
  15. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Supporting Member

16. david_aa

david_aa

I do that when I'm soloing (I hate this silly movement). When I'm comping, I don't do that. I don't know why. Maybe it's a reminiscent of my past as rock guitarist :confused:
  17. DiabolicLow B

DiabolicLow B

Yep me too, I've been doing it for years and when I am aware of it happening it really bothers me but I can't seem to stop!
  18. Gab124

Gab124 Supporting Member

I only seem to do it when I really feel like I am in the pocket. If I have any question as to being locked in or otherwise learning the song I don't.
  19. ffutterman

ffutterman Talentless Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

I always saw pros do it and wondered why, since it obviously doesn't do anything. Then as I practiced more, it just kind of happened and I figured "Oh...I guess I do that now."
  20. Stewie26

Stewie26 Supporting Member

+1 I was just going to post the same thing about the "Home" position and then read your post.