How many of you who watched it, were NOT affected by The Beatles on Ed Sullivan?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Michedelic, Feb 3, 2014.

1. Michedelic

Michedelic

At least immediately, or else you wouldn't be here. With all the nostalgia of 2/9/64 about to rain down on us, and all the countless interviews/testimonials through the years that run along the lines of "I saw The Beatles on The Ed Sullivan Show, and it changed my life forever. I knew I had to get a guitar...", it occurred to me that the event didn't necessarily leave an impression on everybody here at TB that was alive and nominally conscious at the time. Age wise, I think it hit kids who were about 12 to 16 the hardest. As for me, I had just turned 9, and even though I saw the second appearance the following week and my parents purchased "MTB" for me, it was kind of a fleeting thing, not so much a fad but just another media sensation in a long procession of such things. Soon after, my attention turned to James Bond, GI Joe, Famous Monsters of Filmland, Man From UNCLE, The Munsters, etc, etc. I never pursued any other rock'n'roll records until summer of '66, when, finally fed up with the MOR on the radio station my mother listened to, I made the jump to the archetypical screamin' boss jock top 40 outlet. For the longest time I had distain for anything that teenagers were involved with, because I thought it was all stupid 'Frankie & Annette' stuff. Such a serious kid! I think the first thing I heard was the Yardbirds' 'Over Under Sideways Down'. THAT left an impression. Psychedelia soon followed, so you could say I was at least caught up in the ripple effect of the events of exactly 50 years ago. So what's your story? And for those of you far too young to have experienced any of it, don't kid yourself, the ripples have reached you in one way or another.

2. JimK

JimK

I do not recall seeing it...I was only 5. I think we had a B&W TV...maybe not.
    But The Ed Sullivan Show did make an impression on me a couple of years later.
    At the time, I was living in south Philly...I had older, hipper cousins plus an uncle that was a Jazz/Latin drummer/percussionist. He would bring a conga drum down & jam with the musical guests (I thought it cool but the other grown-ups were none too thrilled with this).

I do recall seeing/hearing The Doors, though...that made an impression.
    Something about that word "higher" that my mom did not like.
    We used to listen to Sly & The Family Stone's "I Want To Take You Higher" non-stop...she did not like that, either!
    :)

3. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

Not one bit.
    Didn't like pop boy bands back then, don't like them now.

4. mongo2

mongo2

I was the oldest of 3 boys at 12 and my parents wouldn't allow my brothers and I to watch it. They thought it might corrupt us...thankfully, that plan failed miserably. :D

I remember watching the Rolling Stones perform on The Red Skelton Show on a little portable TV set up in my room for my brothers and I to watch while my mother hosted a meeting of the church's "Mother's Club" in the front of the house...they didn't know they were on or I'm sure they would have stopped that too. And they thought Skelton would be "safe"...MUAHAHAHAHAHA...:D

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JimK

JimK

Pop boy bands back then did not play/write/arrange their own material...

7. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

I remember watching it, but nothing in particular about it other than my dad was the one who got us all together to see it. I was still wanting to be a cowboy or something and it would be a few more years before I "discovered" music and a year or so after that before I first heard the music that would change my life when my partner in crime (my friend from down the street) had a cousin from up north visit and bring his copies of "Climbing!", "Are You Experienced", and "Dirty Water".

Not long after I started saving my money to buy my own records, my dad asked if I wanted to play bass...

8. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

+1 Calling the Beatles a pop boy band puts them in the same category as N Sync,Jonas Brothers and the New Kids On the Block I did a search for pop boy bands and the Beatles didn't come up once I'll keep trying.

9. mongo2

mongo2

Forgot to say above that we just found out the other day that our 3-1/2 year-old grandniece has become a Beatles fan. She knows all their names and several of their songs/lyrics. She was singing them a bit for us while I drove her, my wife, and our niece to the park. Her favorite Beatle is John.

10. Exploiter8

Exploiter8 I'm no gynecologist but I'll take a look. Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Commercial FREE!
    I was five. My brother (five years older than me) bumped me off the couch so HE could have the best seat in the house. I watched from the kitchen table which had a clear shot to the B&W TV. I didn't want to be anywhere near him. The thing is, I'M the one who ended up playing music. Definitely NOT HIM!

I still love him anyway!

X8

P.S.
    Come to think of it, maybe that's the reason I DO remember it. THANKS BRO!

11. Stealth Fighter

Stealth Fighter

Watched it; wasn't impressed. Except for a very few of their songs, I have never cared for the Beatles.

12. JimK

JimK

...I wonder if The Temptations, The Four Tops, The Miracles, etc are also "boy bands".
    :rolleyes:

:p

13. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

No,
    They were R&B singing groups.

Sorry but I place the Beatles (specially during that time period) with Herman's Hermits and Paul Revere and The Raiders and even the Monkees that were a takeoff of the Beatles.

14. Passinwind

Passinwind Charlie Escher Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    The main effect was listening to all the squeeing from the girls in my 4th grade class the next day, in all honesty. I was a little too young to grok the possibilities, I guess. The Stones, Elvis, and "Little" Stevie Wonder all impressed me much more with their performances on Ed's show at the time.

15. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

not sure that first appearance had any direct effect, we watched Sullivan pretty much every sunday night, there were alot of music groups on all the time, I would say collectively it probably had an influence

16. Marginal Tom

Marginal Tom

I was in college at the time, was already familiar with their music, and my initial reaction was "they blew it." It one was on the shakiest performances I'd ever seen. Fortunately, they got a second chance and did well.

17. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Yeah you're right they were just like all those groups you mentioned in fact right after the Beatles special there will be a Herman's Hermit special followed by a tribute to the Monkees. I get it you don't care for the Beatles but your comments are ah "wow"

18. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

I was only a few years old but remember them as I grew up. I have never been a Beatles fan...nothing has changed about it.

19. duff beer

duff beer

The Beatles were NOT a pop boy band. Anyone who claims that they were is about as clueless as they come.

20. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

I was 6. My sister was going on 11. We watched them that night and I totally remember the excitement. I think I may have invented air guitar after seeing them that night. Our parents were cool and loved them too. Sis had all their records from the time of release and played them constantly. History was made that night by a band that changed the course of music forever. I still listen to and dig ALL their music 50 years later.
    Funny.. JFK 's murder was just a few months prior. Don't remember it. I was probably sheltered from it by my folks.

21. nashman

nashman

I watched it with my family when I was 7. Saturday night Ed Sullivan show and our weekly chocolate bar - what a treat! What I remember was how upset my dad was - mostly due to their hair styles "another example of the moral degradation of our society" and "hard to tell the boys from the girls". He left the room while the rest of us watched. My sister saw them at Maple Leaf Gardens in Toronto with a few girlfriends, one of which fainted.