How many songs do you play per set?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Mark_70, Feb 14, 2014.

1. Mark_70

Mark_70

For a classic rock band - nothing special.. Let's say you're playing in smaller local bars and clubs.

How many songs (call 'm 4-5 minutes average) would you play per set and how many sets?

We're looking at roughly 40 songs to choose from, but would probably do appx 30 per night, split over two sets. Then maybe a couple more if the evening is fun..

Thoughts?

Regards
    Mark
  2. skidmarkbass

skidmarkbass

We try to average around 10 per set, sometimes 8, sometimes 12 depending on the singers in-between chat.
  3. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

Last time I was in a cover band was the early 2000's, and we did 3 sets of about 10 each.

Nowadays, I play originals only, and we usually play between 8 to 13 songs or so, depending on the length required (45-75 minutes, typically).
  4. TDee

TDee

The country cover band (modern country) I'm in usually plays a 4hr gig. 3 sets, 2 breaks with 18-20 songs per set. I'm not sure whats normal either, but we've been doing that format for about a year and it's worked well. I think it really depends on how long you're expected to play, and what the bar/club owner expects.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

10 - 12 per set
  7. mellowinman

mellowinman Fun at Really Naughty Parties Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Our sets are around 45 minutes (4 of them.) We can do as many as 12 songs in a set, but as few as 6. It depends on how long the songs are. We switch it up quite a bit. We might jam a few really short ones, but Freebird is a solid 10 minutes, and Voodoo Child (slight return) can go from 8 to about 12, depending on if people are into it.

Don't be afraid of long songs, but make sure they're good; make sure they're entertaining, and cut 'em if the crowd's not into it.
  8. Jarrett

Jarrett Supporting Member

12 per set typically.
  9. theduke1

theduke1 Supporting Member

3 1 hour sets 18 /20 songs per set.
  10. MTBK

MTBK

Depends on the time we're are allotted (sometimes an hour, sometimes 45m) but 10 is about right.
  11. Back2Bass

Back2Bass

We play 3 sets approx. 1 hour each. 15 per set +- .Gigs in so. Indiana- so Illinois run 9-1 or 10-2.
  12. TinIndian

TinIndian

10-11 songs per set on average. We play 4 sets a night on average.
  13. stratovani

stratovani

As a tribute band we'll do 12 to 14 songs a set, with one to two sets being the average.
  14. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

it usually works out to about 12 classic rock songs for a 45 minute set
  15. loend68

loend68 Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses, T.C. Electronics
    13-15 with at least one of them being a medley. We run most of the songs together so there's not a lot of between song chatter.
  16. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

We typically play three sets, each one hour. Anywhere between 10-14 songs per set probably. Sometimes we'll extend the set depending on how people are moving. You've got to keep them going!

We'll also do two longer sets on occasion. It depends on the venue and how we're feeling that night.
  17. Flashback Bass

Flashback Bass

We play either 3 sets of 16 songs, or 4 sets of 12 songs for a "4-hour" gig. (Depending on the gig.)

Either way 48 songs total. (Excluding encores!)
  18. BayStateBass

BayStateBass

Our norm is three sets, 10 or 12 songs per set, for a three hour gig. Four hour gig is the same, but 4 sets. But like stated, sometimes it's less, depending on what happens, especially with the crowd, sometimes we have audience participation events, or may allow a "karaoke" performance here and there, and once "Comfortably Numb" comes out it can eat up 8 or 9 minutes.
  19. Mark_70

Mark_70

Thanks all - sounds like 40 songs is not too far off as average.
    Regards
    Mark
  20. mancefine

mancefine

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Orange Amplifiers and Spector Basses
    Not to be a dick, but isn't this the most subjective question ever? I think it differs for everyone. It all depends on how long your set is and how long your songs are. I don't know that there's a right or wrong, other than maybe not playing 15 minute jam songs.
  21. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

We do three one hour sets... like most bar bands. I don't really see the point in a song count.