How many string wraps for Squier Classic Vibe P Tuners

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Darren R, Jan 13, 2013.

1. Darren R

Darren R

Hi guys,

Picking up a Squier classic vibe 60s p-bass (fiesta red) today and I was wondering if anyone can tell me how many wraps to put around the tuner posts.

Are these tuner posts the vintage style (straight up and down) or do they have a bulge at the bottom like some other squiers? If they do have that bulge at the bottom of the tuner post is it still recommended to put a lot of wrappings on the tuner post to prevent A string rattle?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
  2. Liam76

Liam76

I have an older one (sonic blue), came strung with 3 wraps, and yeah, it does have the bulge.
  3. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

... actually, that is not a bulge at the bottom, but a bevel in the middle .. these are referred to a 'beveled' posts ... and yes, it is desirable to wind the E and A string as close to the bottom of the post as possible to increase the break angle from the nut ... 3+ winds is usually a good thing ... you just dont want to wrap the string over itself, so as many winds as you can get before that happens ...
  4. CalboDaGo

CalboDaGo Banned

how many times should i chew my food? how many times should i rub deodorant across each armpit?:rollno: i was gonna move this thread to the humor section (pauses dungeons and dragons game, slams down meatball Hotpocket, and flexes in tight Talkbass tee shirt that shows of my belly button and back hair)..but now im thinking about closing it...yep, thread closed...look @ me now old middle school bullies who gave me a hard time for being in band. IM SOMEBODY NOW! RESPECT MY AUTHORITAAAA!!:oops:
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. soulman969

soulman969

Two or three wraps should do it just get them as close to that bottom bevel as your can.
  7. Lee Bruton

Lee Bruton Guest

Three should do you on on any bass
  8. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

+1 on getting as far down as possible. I swap one at a time and cut it based on the one that came off. If I can go a bit longer then I do it. Especially important for the A string. All the way down is best but no overlap. Enjoy the bass :)
  9. braud357

braud357

I am sure that THIS advice was VERY helpful and informative ! :rollno:
  10. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Cut the strings at least three finger-widths past the tuner, bend about 1/2" of the tip 90 degrees, insert the bend into the tuner hole, wrap string around tuner downwards from the top of the tuner, using one wrap to lock the string inserted into the tuner in its place.

The correct question isn't how many wraps, it's how much material to leave so that you can get enough wraps.

I cut strings four finger widths past the tuner - IMO three is the minimum.
  11. Darren R

Darren R

Thank you for all the replies guys! (Well, almost all of them..)

It is truly appreciated.
  12. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    I like to get as many as I can...

These are Dean Markley Helix Stainless on a 70's Vintage Modified Jazz

[​IMG]

DR NEON (same bass)
    [​IMG]
  13. darkstorm

darkstorm

2-3 for E & A, 3 to max of 4 for D & G. The same as any other bass actually.
  14. CalboDaGo

CalboDaGo Banned

just figured if the thread is about how many times should i wrap a string around a tuning peg..the OP is probably beyond anyones help.
  15. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

... Dark, I am just the opposite of you ... usually 3-4 on E & A, and 2-3 on D & G ... :)
  16. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

JMHO, but if I was smart enough to ask this question years ago, I would have saved myself a lot of time and trouble trying to find an elusive A string buzz ...

... a legitimate question, getting some good responses
  17. rfslick

rfslick

Try to remember that there is the whole spectrum of players on here, from never played to a virtuoso like yourself.
  18. JustDavid

JustDavid

Nice.

Regarding the quote in your signature block, you might want to check the spelling.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confucius