1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

How many times do I have to miss out?!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ironbar, Nov 28, 2013.

1. Ironbar

Ironbar

In the past couple months, I've missed out on two basses that popped up on Craigslist that I wanted with a passion, and missed out on for simple reasons.

The first was a Fender Prophesy III like this one:

[​IMG]

Guy wanted $350 for it.

The second and most recent was a Hondo II Rickenbacker copy like this one:

[​IMG]

It went for $200, and was in great shape. I couldn't get to the seller until the day after he sold it to someone else.

Please tell me this is good karma, and there's another smokin' deal out there waiting for me!
  2. 3234718

3234718 Supporting Member

Since karma isn't real, it's simply a missed opportunity. All you can do is try to contact sellers sooner. OCD can be a good thing.

For 200 bucks I woulda been all over that rick copy too.
  3. Marko5657

Marko5657 Supporting Member

Ha, this reminded me to check my local CL real quick...

No good deals, as usual.
  4. TheAnalogKid

TheAnalogKid Yer Doin' GREAT!!!! Supporting Member

Well, with the Christmas holiday coming up, therein lies the possibility that more used gear will pop up. I have to say, though, any good Ric copy going for 200 slices is pretty rare.

I have missed my fair share of deals. I even inadvertently "talked" someone out of a CL sale for an Ampeg B200R. The seller stated that the pots were scratchy, thus the lower price than what they normally fetch. I responded with my interest in the amp and wanted to arrange to see it.

The stupid part: I mentioned that the scratchy pots can be remedied with De-Oxit or other electrical contact cleaner. Next day he responded by saying "I think I will hold onto it (the amp)". Correlation? Causation? Seller changed his mind...maybe.
  5. sharkbait130

sharkbait130

A few years ago , I picked up a 2000 mim P Bass in a Roadrunner gig bag on Craigslist for $200. OK , I mentioned a bass to keep this post in this thread. The truss rod was out of adjustment ,the intonation was lousy and the action wasn't good. Took it home , tweeked the rod , set the intonation , dropped the action and tossed a set of chromes on it. Voila , a fantastic player with a tone that can't be beat. Total time was about an hour working on it. Now for my Craigslist rant. Over the last few years , I have purchased about 30 items from CL. If it's a desired item , the trick is getting there first, so if you have a want , you need to be checking the list a couple times a day. If not , by the time you call , somebody else will have already gotten to it. I remember one item that I called on about 10 minutes after it was posted. Headed down right away and while I was there picking it up the guy got 3 more calls on it. In short , have your money at hand ,call as soon as you see the item , and go pick it up NOW.Good luck.