How many times have you been in a car when the transmission went ?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Oct 1, 2008.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL A Hard Rockin Lover of GREENBURST Supporting Member

Media:
    How many times have you been in a car when the transmission went ? I had the misfortune twice this past summer when I was the driver.

2. tplyons

tplyons

Two. Once, I was able to baby it home.

The second time it was actually the torque converter failing on the new (replacement) tranny. Got that fixed for free, but was out a car for a few days.

3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Supporting Member

Media:
    1x. A Dodge Colt Vista, it was a time bomb.

4. funkalicious101

funkalicious101

Once, but I only lost first gear, so I still managed to get home.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jonathan_matos5

jonathan_matos5

once. i had to push it off the road and have it towed home. :(

7. Trevorus

Trevorus

Eh, had a clutch go out, twice. Once from age/use, the second from an oil leak leaking on it.

A while back, my sister's car had all the gears shatter at once... Pretty crazy.

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    My transmission goes everywhere my car goes.

9. Rattman

Rattman

Once: I was exactly right beside Angel Stadium on the 57 fwy when it happened too... I couldn't donate that crappy car to charity fast enough to suit me. Cars are really a major drain on resources IMO.

10. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

:D

11. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL A Hard Rockin Lover of GREENBURST Supporting Member

Media:
    I would hope so.

12. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Once. It was the only time my '78 Honda Civic actually failed to get me home. Locked up tight on the 401.

Very expensive repair too: $80, with trade in, for a transmission pulled from another Honda. Plus I had to pay to get the car towed.

There is something to be said for a purely mechanical car. I once had to wire the choke open, but I made it home. Had a toggle switch to turn the fan on and off. Used a tach because the speedo failed. Ran a semester on only three cylinders because a value had a piece break off.

13. jrthebassguy

jrthebassguy Supporting Member

Never, but my radiator blew once when I was driving. A very scary experience, as I was on a very busy part of I-45, and was almost crushed as I had to quickly move from the fast lane to the shoulder on the far right. Scary experience.

14. buzzbass

buzzbass Supporting Member

I've had 2 or 3 cough in my day

15. ROON

ROON

Never been in a car and had the transmission go. But when my brother-in-law and I were test driving his new fiberglass bodied Ford 1932 three-window coupe, the accelerator got stuck at about 1/2 way. :meh: Not fun at all when that happens in a car that weighs less than a Toyota Corolla hatchback, and has a 450hp Hemi in it. :help:

The rod has a killswitch, and luckily he knew exactly where it was and how to use it, even though he had only driven the car a few times as he had just had it delivered to him. If he hadn't known where it was we'd probably both had died.

Very, very, very scary experience. :meh: My bro had the shakes so bad when we got out that he had to sit down for 10-15 minutes.

16. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Once.

I was driving to school one day and suddenly the transmission refused to work and I was stuck in third gear.

The only way I could change gears was to turn the car off, change gears and start it again.

I remember driving painfully slow all the way home in second gear.

17. FL Knifemaker

FL Knifemaker

I used to AutoX Austin Minis so............more often than I care to remember :confused: :meh:

18. mimaz

mimaz Gold Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Crook Custom Guitars
    "Back in the day", I was the unfortunate driver of the band's equipment truck on 2 different occasions when the transmission decided to leave me stranded on the side of the road in the middle of the night. :(

19. Bassic83

Bassic83

Twice in my VW 412, once going up to Top O The World in Laguna Beach, second time was driving offroad in the hills in Dana Point trying to get to school.

Once in my mom's Peugeot 504D, that one really wasn't my fault. It was French.

Once in a rented car (Ford Tempo), got 2 miles from the pickup when it made a horrible noise, then bucked a few times, then stopped. Called the rental yard to bring me another, they tried to blame me, but it turned out (after the teardown) that the person before me had dropped it into Park at highway speed and it ate the brake pawl, trashing the guts of the tranny in the process. No way I could have gotten up to 50 mph from where I picked it up and where it cratered.

Had a few other auto trannies get weak- dad's Ford Taurus would constantly "hunt" for gears at around 45-70 mph. Wakes you up when it suddenly drops into 2nd or 3rd when you're doig 70 on the freeway! His Town Car did the same thing from time to time. His old Impala from the late 70s, lost reverse gear at the mall during Christmas shopping one year, had to get 6-7 people to help push him back out of the parking spot...fun stuff when you're on hardpack snow.

I'm all about manual trans now.

20. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Never, but I threw a piston in a 1970 VW Beetle once, and had the entire radiator fall out of a '73 Celica another time.

21. plexibass

plexibass

holy crapola, same here, same car but it happened 2x to me