1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

How much difference in going from super light to light?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Thumpinshelton, Mar 17, 2014.

1. Thumpinshelton

Thumpinshelton

So, I am just thinking out loud here. I am currently stringing my Lakland 55-01's with D'Addario EXL220SL's w/ a SL 125 single (they do not make the EXL220SL in a 5 string pack). I was thinking about beefing it up a little and going with the EXL170-5SL. So, I would go from .40, .60, .75, .95, and .125 to .45, .65, .80, .100, and .130. What noticeable difference would this make? Would you expect that the saddles would need much adjusting to accommodate this?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    Saddles and nut slots will probably be OK for fit, although you will need to reset action and intonation, and maybe the truss rod, too. Sonically, don't expect miracles. Might be slightly different sounding but doesn't really add up to a hill of beans IMHO. And I've never heard anyone who could tell me what gauge of strings someone is playing by a recording. Me, I went the exact other way and lightened up. Quite happy to have done so, too.

3. Root 5

Root 5

I've always held the equivalent opinion about "Boutique" basses and a recording.

4. LakeEffect

LakeEffect Supporting Member

Aside from what is mentioned, likely increased string tension and effort necessary to fret. It won't be too noticeable, given the gauge you play now, but I play extra lights and I notice the difference to regular light gauge strings - more with respect to feel than tone, though.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. wcriley

wcriley

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    I recently moved up a small step (.136 to .142 on the B) from the same manufacturer (CircleK) and was surprised by how much difference there was in the "sound". The higher mass and tension seems to have tipped the harmonic balance more toward the lower harmonics and away from the higher ones.