How much disrespect will you put up with from an employer?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Dec 12, 2012.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL A Hard Rockin Lover of GREENBURST Supporting Member

Media:
    How much disrespect will you put up with from an employer? I draw the line at bad touch.

2. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

:ninja:I don't stand for disrespect. I generally use the 3 strikes rule but if it's bad enough disrespect 1 strike can be enough for me to Snap.

3. Ziltoid

Ziltoid Supporting Member

I guess it depends, if it's feedback negatively voiced then ends up becoming insults I usually take it, sure it's not fun and it's a bad form of feedback, but it's still feedback which means I did something I could do better.

If the disrespect/insults that are totally uncalled for I reply, not with insults but usually with comments made to make him realize what he's doing and what a fool he's being.

And anything worst than that, physical confrontation, bad touch, what ever just doesn't fly at all.

4. Lowactnsatsfctn

Lowactnsatsfctn

None. I have enough regular clients that I can drop a disrespectful one and still get by. If I were working for some one else, not much at all, unless the pay was worth it.
    Im curious as to what spawned the idea behind this thread...

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. lokikallas

lokikallas Supporting Member

None. I will call anyone out on disrespect. If they can't handle me standing up for myself then they can fire me. If it is just anger about a mistake I've made, I can take a beating, but if it becomes disrespectful I will speak up immediately. I have enough confidence in my abilities to know that I can find work elsewhere.

7. lokikallas

lokikallas Supporting Member

If I am touched I tend to react calmly, but I make it clear that only my wife gets to touch me.

8. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard

Not much these days. I'm 41 so I'm not as easily offended as I was when I was 18 and everything was drama. But disrespect is another issue altogether. I don't need to be yelled at to perform. I won't be talked down to. I say please and thank you to everyone with whom I come in contact. I say yes sir and no ma'am. I hold doors. I am big on giving respect so I expect at least some in return.

So far I haven't run into too many situations where my tolerance for disrespect was put to the test. But the few times I have, it didn't turn out well for the offender. I have left jobs with no notice leaving them holding a mixed bag of crap. I have told someone who tried to micro manage me that from that point on I would no longer do ANYTHING until I was told to expressly.

I have managed to keep food on the table and make lots more friends than enemies.

These days the only way the boss can disrespect me is if I disrespect myself.... not likely.

9. Simo98

Simo98

Directly proportional to how much I need the job..

Ideally, I don't put up with any ****. In a situation where losing the job means living on the street, I think I'd be quite capable of putting up with a lot of ****.

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
  11. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Banned

Same here.

About to pull the trigger on 74k worth of renovations which will take me 15 years to pay off.

I won't be in a position to joyfully tell a boss to go stuff himself anymore. Perhaps I'll be lucky and won't ever feel the want to do so, but it's more realistic to think that I'll have to swallow my pride and bite my tongue.

12. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

This.

However, if it does start going bad I'd start looking for new employment and try not to burn bridges on the way out.

13. jeffbonny

jeffbonny Gold Supporting Member

I do excellent work, my overhead is low and I stay out of debt so l never have to take any crap from any employer.

14. Truktek2

Truktek2

Usually I try to assess the situation. It could be the guys got personal issues going on and frustration just manifests itself. If that's the case, I let it slide like water off a ducks back.

If it is a personal attack, then a tongue lashing is in order.

15. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

IME it isn't always about how well you work or how low your overhead is.

You do get some bosses who are simply A grade a-holes.

There are two instances I've had where I've left because of the boss and his/her attitude. One was because the boss was a major alcoholic and I couldn't be doing with his crap anymore. The other was when I worked for a large supermarket where my direct manager told me that working there should be more important than high school, when I said that I couldn't take on all the extra hours they were 'offering'. It was a part time job that had ended up with full time hours by the time I left, primarily because the manager couldn't manage something as simple as a time sheet, so the solution was to make the youngest member there take what was essentially obligatory overtime.

16. P Town

P Town Guest

None. There's nothing like the smell of a burning bridge.

17. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Yeah, this.

I'm my "ideal world" I'd have the satisfaction of telling bosses off to their face(s), I'd be quitting jobs on the spot, I'd be threatening to leave if they don't shut up and so on and so on.

But in the real world..? With 3 kids, a mortgage, two cars I've learned how to pick and fight my battles quite well. Reality is far more mundane than fantasy, that's for sure.
    Granted, there are times when you absolutely have to speak up IMO and I have no issues doing so. I've done so in the past especially if it's more than just disrespect (safety issues, legality issues)
    Now that I'm older I find that it usually just comes down to my ego, IE - "how dare he talk to me like that!" in which case, my need for a job supersedes it. Ironically, I've found that my greatest weapon is time :)
    In being in the workforce for 25+ years, I've only had three bosses who were utterly disrespectful. In the end, all three were eventually fired. The thing is, when someone's disrespectful like that, they're usually like that with other people as well. In that case, you really only need wait it out.
    YMMV of course.

18. jeffbonny

jeffbonny Gold Supporting Member

In my case it is very much about the quality of work I do. I'm very well respected in my field and employers simply don't **** with me.

Having low overhead is directly related too because a disrespectful employer knows when you are willing to walk and aren't going to be intimidated; all but the really stupid ones won't ever try hard enough for it to be a problem. It's like genuinely not fearing a dog...most of the time they'll leave you alone. And when they don't you let 'em have it and no one thinks the worst of you for it.

Not saying how things are for anyone but me here. YMMV.

19. CrewsControl

CrewsControl

You mean, the song?

20. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

If an employer acts like a complete ass to everyone and everyone is intimidated by them, I think they all need to take a close look at why they stay. If an employer is disrespectful to only one or a few people, I would see what that particular state's employment laws have to say about it. Even in an "At will" work state, an employer can't abuse the employees.

If an employer can't take resistance from employees who are PO'd, I wouldn't want to work for them. I worked at a place where most people left because they were too PO'd at the owner (or, his wife, who was VP and Sec'y of the company) to stay. I get along with him far better now than I did at times when I still worked there. He had been a Sgt in the Army when he was in Vietnam and he barked out orders like he never left. We used to get into it on a fairly regular basis, but it wasn't usually taken too personally. Two of us left in a short time and, other than the owners, we were the only ones there when the place was on the verge of closing but we took it upon ourselves to care enough to turn it around. We were too PO'd to stay and he lost over 20 years of experience in a short time.

21. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    That depends on sooooooooooo many variables.

If I was making 300,000 a year at job that I really enjoyed my boss could curse me out for no reason in front of the entire staff and it would roll off me the second he/she walkded away.

If I were working like a dog for $40,000 a year I would stand for considerably less.

And a lot would depend on who was depending on me for support.