1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

How much do you think you will spend on effects in 2014? Early GAS list.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by zwkoch, Dec 31, 2013.

1. zwkoch

zwkoch You can't do that on bass enthusiast Gold Supporting Member

I have been a member of this board for a year, and my previously owned pedals were nearly all acquired and moved in 2013 thanks to what I learned here. As much as one can be, I am delighted with my board, rig, and basses. It might be fun to guess how much each of us will spend this year and revisit this thread a year from now.

With the SA Midi Hub coming soon, I foresee my board changing to a rack mount case later this spring. With that move, I will need a solid Midi stomp pedal and a few analog pedals on my board with end up changing. I'm putting my over/ under at $2000. I am counting all dollars spent, including money gained and used from selling my own pedals. What is your guess for 2014? Is there anything on your GAS list for 2014?

I'd really like to buy a Verellen Meatsmoke head, which will of course obliterate my $2000 estimate. It certainly isn't something I need, but it sure would be fun.

Happy New Year my friends.

2. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

FWIW: I'm guessing I'll probably send around $1k on effect petals in 2014.

3. Biggbass

Biggbass Supporting Member

Early GAS list...no pedals but something in SeaFoam Green.

4. JBNeedsBeer

JBNeedsBeer

I'm not sure, I'll probably land between $600 and $1000 on effects. I'm pretty happy with my dirts at the moment, but am almost certainly going to pick up the SS/BS Buzzz. I'm moving some gear around to start on getting a Greenboy Dually for a cab and might move to a pre/power setup from my Mesa 400+, but that is far from definite (depends on the cab, really).

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. BFunk

BFunk Gold Supporting Member

The amount I spend on effects is directly proportional to the number of times I visit this forum. :)

Remyd, mrwood4 and totallyfrozen like this.
  7. Mihel

Mihel

Amen to that! I use to have a nice savings account until I joined TalkBass...LOL!

8. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I will spend nothing on effects. I tried several different types as an experiment but have never liked any. I like a punchy sound with strong bottom end but one that also has enough clarity to cut through so you can actually hear what I am playing. I don't like the way effects alter my sound.

9. MrLenny1

MrLenny1 Supporting Member

Nothing.
    When it comes to effects i leave it to the guitarists.
    I agree with Kmonk, playing live with effects doesn't cut it for me.

10. BFunk

BFunk Gold Supporting Member

It's popcorn time once again. :rollno:

11. Bassmike62

Bassmike62

I'm not even getting into that, because whatever I say ("will sell that to buy this" and bla bla bla) won't hold water at the end of the year and will only make me feel more like the spineless pedal consumer I shamefully am.

That being said, I'm eyeing an MXR BOD.

12. gidbass

gidbass Supporting Member

At least $300 (probably will be more though)...gassing for the XD-1 from Brimstone Audio.

Happy New Year!

13. zwkoch

zwkoch You can't do that on bass enthusiast Gold Supporting Member

It is always interesting how much time bassists who don't use effects spend posting in the effects thread....

14. johnbegone

johnbegone Supporting Member

Media:
    2013 was a major effect overhaul for me, but come to think of it so was 2011 and 2012. I'm pretty sure I only have one pedal on my board that I had in 2011 (TAFM). Yikes. I have a feeling the same will be true in 2014! The good news is that I've started really enjoying using some of the multi-effects pedals particularly with midi capabilities (the new SA's with the midi hub is a revelation), so hopefully those will keep my GAS at bay a little bit. I've already had a rack + pedalboard setup but the rack end will probably end up receiving all the SA pedals (I have 3 now) at least plus my preamp pedals. Just keep all the analog dirt pedals on my board hopefully.

I'll probably spend around $1500 though, if we are counting money gained from selling pedals as well and not just new money invested. I'm always willing to pick up an interesting pedal if I think I can flip it easily if I don't like it.

15. Mortom27

Mortom27

I'll probably spend $250 as soon as I get my tax return
    on the TC flashback x4, hopefully less if I wait till presidents day sale

16. Bassmike62

Bassmike62

Well...

In their defense, they're not saying using effects sucks or that effects user are actually looking for crutches. They're just saying it doesn't work for them.

I go bananas when I read some dude saying in this forum : "Well I don't understand why you're using pedals, don't you like your tone ? "(simulate Aunt Gertrude's whiny voice). I'm not reading that in their post, maybe its just me or I'm seeing good everywhere on New Year's Eve.

Just saying.

17. MightyMiloQuinn

MightyMiloQuinn Supporting Member

Never can tell. I'll definitely be getting a Infanem Compact Faye Sing B when that comes out, and a SubT once Iron Ether gets back up and running. I'm pretty sure I'm going to send my BF-2 out to Fromel for modding. I don't really foresee anything else at the moment, but we all know how well that works out...

18. adamsmatthewj

adamsmatthewj

Interesting question!

I know my board looks COMPLETELY different from the beginning of 2013 and I imagine it will probably look completely different from that in another year.

This year alone I saw over 10 pedals come and go (most go!) but I'm left with about a dozen right now. Of them, maybe 2 or 3 will stay (TU-2, corona chorus) but any others are always up for review and replacement should I become intrigued by something else! Even my absolute favorite pedals are not too sacred for me to replace (might ditch my beloved OC-2 for a BOD? Maybe a nova repeater instead of my baby, the flashback?)

I'm falling out of love with overdrive, and I'm getting quite interested in distortion, so that may be where I spend a few dollars. Don't know what the year will hold!
    As it stands today, I have 4 new pedals en-route to my house to try out. Tryin to end 2013 with a bang!

19. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story Supporting Member

Probably in the $600 range. All I really want at this point are an EQD The Depths, Dispatch Master, and a Cioks DC-10.

20. gregmon79

gregmon79 Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Man aint that the truth!!?

Well, I think 2013 was the biggest GAS year Ive had in the 14 years Ive played bass. Period. I cant imagine spending close to what I did in 2013. I do know that I will spend some but I will probably flip and or trade as well so its hard telling. There really is no way of telling how much I will actually spend though. At this point I am very happy with my setup and already know I am getting a 4096 delay the end of Jan that is going to run me almost $400 so theres a start! haha. I do really hope I can keep my GAS money down a bit this year. After all, like I said, I am pretty happy with my pedal board. And that is where most of my money went, to pedals. But I have been sort of GAS'n for an Ampeg PF amp and some cheaper basses like the SX line. I got that Affinity too at the end of the year that I plan on modding the heck out of too........ Yeah.......

21. Martin89

Martin89

Disclosures:
    Unofficial Endorser: Ibanez, D'Addario, Zoom
    Hopefully nothing, but... the guy who does all my tech work makes custom pedals and he wants me to test and give him feedback on a bass fuzz he's designing. For my sake I hope it's not that good but from the work I've seen him do on my basses and a tube amp head he made for guitar that my friend owns, it's probably going to be beyond amazing.