1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

How much does appearance affect your amp choice?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by jumblemind, Jan 15, 2013.

1. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

I know a lot of people care so little about stage appearance that they don't even have an amp, and I know a lot of people are physics/stats-oriented, so this is probably aimed at others. I have a current dilemma where the amp I think sounds the best for one of my bands is the absolute ugliest option out there. I even tried one model and returned it already, mostly because I didn't feel like it represented "me" in appearance.

Is that completely ridiculous? Or is there something to it?
  2. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

I let my ears judge.

That said, if you are "not feeling your amp" for what ever reason it will effect your playing.
  3. capncal

capncal

i rock an ampeg svt 200t paired with an svt hln 410. for big, high profile gigs, i borrow a buddy's ampeg 15 inch cab to go with it 'cause it looks completely bad ass.

for everyday gigs, i generally just bring my sansamp tech 21 bass drive DI and rely on the monitors.

but yeah, i love having that big, nice ampeg behind me on stage. looks freaking great in pics! but i can also go the other way 'cause it's so damn heavy and let's be honest, i'm not always in the best shape to remember all my cords and whatnot after the gig!
  4. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

0%

Edit: for the record, the only reason why I don’t/didn’t like the ugly round metal bug eye grills is because they get banged up to easily during transporting - however, the recessed metal bug eye gills are ok, so for me it’s all about sound, weight, size and price.
  5. NightTripper

NightTripper

Appearance would affect my choice a little. Definitely more so in basses than amps, but I still wouldn't buy a rig that I thought was hideous. Call it vain, but some of us just like to have a certain flair to make our equipment seem like it suits us or represents us in some way. I am fortunate in that my favorite amp sound (Ampeg) also comes in a cool package with classic looks. I think it would be cool if you got options for tolex colors though.
  6. lomo

lomo passionate hack Gold Supporting Member

agree
  7. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Truth, I like a classic or otherwise good looking rig. If it comes down to sound however, UGLY will win every time! I usually have my back to the rig anyway.
  8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I don't really care, but I'm glad I don't have any more ugly rigs, I'll say that.
  9. christw

christw Always searching for the right Ric... Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: J Worrell Bass
    I'm all about personality but good looks don't ever hurt. :cool:
  10. nortonrider

nortonrider

I don't think I would ever own a MarkBass primarily because of the way they look.
    That black and yellow is Fugly!
  11. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

+1

And some times when the lights are dim its about feel... :D
  12. Stumbo

Stumbo Supporting Member

Which amp are you referring to? Any pics?

If it's the best tone, maybe mod the looks? Paint it, new grill, etc.
  13. lizardwizard28

lizardwizard28

The amps appearance means almost nothing to me. If im playing a gig, almost nobody in the audience knows what an amp is, let alone the difference between a guitar and bass. And girls, forget about it. I care a little more what the bass looks like, but not by much. Though i wouldnt play one of those headless baseball bat looking basses, no matter how good they sound, stupid ugly.
  14. rtav

rtav

I know it's frowned upon, but appearance makes a HUGE difference for me. I want to look at my gear and think, "Wow - that looks awesome!" There are a lot of amps that sound great, so why should I get one that sounds great and is ugly when I can get one that sounds AND looks fantastic? Whether or not you think that Genz, Ampeg, Mesa, Trace, Eden, etc., look good, it can safely be said that these within mid- to upper price ranges, these amps/cabs sound great. It's not like there is only one great choice sound-wise. Why should I get one I think is ugly? Not me.
  15. jj4001

jj4001 Supporting Member

Vintage Acoustic Control Corp. rigs, man! Always the best sounding and coolest looking rigs on the stage.
  16. Muttleybass

Muttleybass

All about the sound.
  17. saustindavis

saustindavis

I agree with this. I haven't seen anything new that I dislike the looks of enough not to take it on stage, but if it was old and ratty, like some punk kid spray painted it and dropped it out of their truck or something, I wouldn't want to be seen with it. I love the sound of my Acoustic rig, and the classic stylings may be too understated for some, but I love that it doesn't draw too much attention. I'm not big on flashy stuff, just want something that sounds good and looks decent.
  18. brattbugg@sbcgl

brattbugg@sbcgl Supporting Member

I agree. Now if it was 1988 and I was in Stryper....
  19. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

If Ampeg does one thing right that most people can agree on, it's that their amps (especially their flagship ones) are almost always very attractive to look at.
  20. Jim Nazium

Jim Nazium Supporting Member

Mostly I want it to sound good, but honestly, looks do make a difference to me. If I'm spending a lot of money, I want the thing to look nice.