1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

how much is an ampeg v4b worth ?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by joshj12db, Jan 15, 2013.

1. joshj12db

joshj12db

i have my eye on a 1970's original v4b and i was wondering how much they are generally worth ?

its not in the best condition but it sounds great

i dont want to get ripped off but at the same time i dont want someone else to buy it as they are quite rare and cant find many online.

2. gricko

gricko

they are worth as much as you are willing to pay.

in my area [southeastern europe] are being offered from 400€ to 1k2€.

take look at TB classifieds section and what is the range around here.

3. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

I don't see your location listed but there are always some on ebay (currently two V4s, a VT-22, a V4BH, and a V2) and craigslist in the US. I certainly wouldn't call them rare. Maybe if you're specifically looking for a V4B, but there's so little difference between the V4 and V4B that I wouldn't rule out one over the other.

4. themacinator

themacinator Always looking for the perfect gig Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Babicz FCH Hardware
    I'll never sell mine but if I did I would ask no less than $600

[​IMG]

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. joshj12db

joshj12db

I'm from London, I love the sound of the head unit but don't wont to pay more than what it's worth.

7. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

That complicates matters. They're a bit more rare on your side of the pond. Hard to say on value in that case, but as I said I wouldn't shy away from a V4 or even a VT-22 if you want to re-box the head. Might help you in your search.

8. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

There is a chance that Ampeg will announce their new V4B on January 24 at the NAMM trade show. It may not be available till the fall.

These sort of announcements tend to drive up the price of the vintage models.

So depending on your schedule, either act fast or wait and see what is released.

9. christopherogut

christopherogut

I think that between $400 and $600 (US) is a fair price for a working head in good condition, at least in my area. Silly me bought a '71 V4B about 5 years ago for $200 locally and sold it a year later for $475 plus shipping. I've been searching for that combination of tone and mojo ever since.

On the flip side, I have a Pignose B100VH which is a no-frills 100W all-tube head that sounds surprisingly Ampegish and is less than half the weight of a V4B so don't forget to keep your options open a bit...

10. gricko

gricko

did you check basschat?

11. Jim C

Jim C

I've sen a dead mint V4B can go for as much as $650 - 800 in recent years