1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

How much is this beat up Made in Japan Squier Worth?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by b to g is yummy, Nov 30, 2013.

1. b to g is yummy

b to g is yummy

2. Marton

Marton

"Beaverton, Oregon, United Kingdom"

Someone made a mistake listing it one the second site.
  3. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

That's weird that it's running on two different sites. My gut says walk away from it but $325 ain't that bad for that bass.
  4. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Looks like someone inadvertently posted on two sites. I wouldn't bid on the second site as it looks like that one is not going to be valid. $350 inclusive of shipping is the tops I'd pay for the bass given it's condition. I believe the range is $300-500 for a MIJ Squier . As it's made in Japan, even though it's labelled a Squier, the quality of the bass is comparable to a Fender MIM.
  5. MarkoYYZ

MarkoYYZ Supporting Member

The listing in the UK ended on Nov 10 (or Oct 11) and it sold for $275. The US listing is newer and probably the new owner... that, or its the same guy but it never shipped to the UK winning bidder. Hard to say, but he shhould have an answer for you if you simply ask him.
  6. Thrash3r

Thrash3r

The wileyco site just reposts ebay auctions, click on "Click Here To See Full Advert" and it takes you to the ebay auction.
  7. wraub

wraub

Well, imo, ime, MIJ Squiers have some variance. An E or A serial # will likely get less than an SQ or a JV Serial #, fwiw. Typically, it's JV, then SQ, then E, then A, etc.
    Again, not all Squiers are the same.
  8. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Absolutely right. Sorry didn't add this info. JV (the first series of MIJ Squiers) is the one that's valued a lot. "Made in Japan" and "Crafted in Japan" have different values. I think the "A" series are still worthy basses, they're still within the MIJ time period I believe. Can you clarify if this is true wraub?
  9. mpdd

mpdd Supporting Member

i paid 365 for my 84 A series vintage white jazz recently in joshua tree, after i did the the pickups swap and threaded bridge replacement it's a beast, the original pickups actually sounded good, but i won some really sweet alleva c pickups at a raffle and i put those in to try them out, the tuners are great, the neck is great, and the tone knob is super responsive
  10. kenjikun

kenjikun

"Made in Japan" and "Crafted in Japan" have the same values IMHO. The JV, SQ, A and E series were much valued because these were the first batches of Fender Japan guitars and basses. But as an owner of JV, A and E series basses and guitars, I can say that the newer Fender Japan guitar and basses are better built and more consistent. However, I find my JV, A and E series basses and guitars the best in playability and tone than my newer Fender.

Also be aware that most A and E serial Squier Precision bass were MEDIUM scale. In fact, I even had a late 1984 JV Squier Precision bass that is a medium scale.

The A series are still very worthy basses because A serial was introduced just after the exit of JV serial and there were high probability that some A serial were actually left over JV.

Regarding the E serial, although Fender Japan officially stated that the E series was made between 1984-1987, that was not absolutely correct. I have never seen any E series which had number 4 after the E prefix. I have seen 5 (1985) up to 9 (1989). So the E series was made between 1985-1989 IMHO.

I have never owned an SQ because it was meant for the export market and not sold in domestic market.