1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

How much is too much?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by We_are_peppers, Feb 11, 2014.

1. We_are_peppers

We_are_peppers

I totally understand the idea behind coordinating the way you dress at gigs with other band members, but is there a limit? How subtle should the continuity be, and does it vary depending on the venue? Please feel free to PM me if you can shed some light on the concept.
  2. pfox14

pfox14

Honestly, dressing sharp is a lost art. The Beatles looked great with their matching suits, and no one does that anymore. I used to play in a wedding band and we always wore tuxedos. Nothing wrong with coordinated outfits. Can't stand bands that wear jeans and T-shirts.
  3. Fender05

Fender05

I think the level you take it to depends on the band. The point is to look like a band, not like 5 dudes who just got off work and climbed onstage.
  4. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

Wear what is comfortable, but at least try to look like a band and look cool. I see a lot of guys posting photos on this forum and they look like they just finished doing yardwork or just got back from shopping at Wal-Mart. A little bit of effort can go a long way.
  5. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

Matching suits is hard to pull off and is an investment - I can see a wedding/corporate function band doing it, or other well-paid pro acts, but not weekend cover bands or indie garage bands or whatever.

I auditioned for an 80s band last fall, didn't join them, but really liked one of their rules of thumb; at any gig, when you're taking a break, everyone should still be able to tell that you are a member of the band. Putting on a show is part of... well, of putting on a show. I think a little visual pizzazz helps the audience feel like they're getting a show, especially if it's colorful and fun.
  6. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

My band has been experimenting with this. We know we want a classy, stylish look without going over the top with suits or whatever. Frankly, there's just nothing rock and roll about putting on the same uniform as a businessman. Our last gig, we did all black, with casual slacks and button-up shirts. I don't mind that look, but it's a bit of a cliché, so I'm not 100% sold on it either.
  7. MCB 5150

MCB 5150 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Did that mean you didn't sit at the bar between sets? Talk with friends? Play on your phone?
  8. squirefan

squirefan

+1
    Except Ronnie Van Zandt
  9. RnBass

RnBass

A unified dress "theme" is often a required part of the performance.
    However, it really depends on the style of music and the venue.
    People react subconsciously to image...
  10. We_are_peppers

We_are_peppers

So if I'm in a band that's mostly rooted in alternative and 90's hard rock (Chili Peppers, Green Day, MCR, etc.) would leather or denim jackets and flannel all the way around be a good route to go?
  11. Fair Warning

Fair Warning Supporting Member

Black and Metal
  12. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

No... the OP was about clothing. The point is that while doing those things, you don't just disappear into everybody else at the bar.
  13. Lazarevicmass

Lazarevicmass

Whatever is comfortable, and the kind of music you play! I dont think it matters much! ImageUploadedByTalkBass1392166878.316465.jpg
  14. Humbled

Humbled

Tuxedos are actually very comfortable and the ones suitable for stage-use are pretty cheap.
  15. Humbled

Humbled

You would also look "edgy" in a tuxedo.

Try it. The chicks will dig it.
  16. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

Hard/heavy rock bands look cool with jeans and t-shirts. I would go with dark jeans, dark shirts, dark shoes. They key word is "dark".
  17. We_are_peppers

We_are_peppers

I can dig it guys. Thanks for all your answers. I'll break out the cheap online tux once in a while, but other than that I'll just try to get the guys to at least look like they belong onstage.
  18. ngh

ngh

for my money, either go all out and match/wear costumes of some sort or just wear your street clothes/dress up a little but not in an attempt to match with the other band members. going half way always seems half assed
  19. skwee

skwee

This.

For rock/pop shows, I think that 'sharp' is the guide word and to match the level of dress across the ensemble, not the actual outfits themselves. Even for a pub gig, I'd want everyone to elevate a level to a sport coat, or a vest, or a tie (or choose two of those), along with dressier (dark blue or black) jeans.

It helps differentiate you from the punters watching the set both onstage and when you stop by the bar, showing the owner and audience that you care about impressing them.
  20. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

See. All dark clothing. This guy looks like he's in a band.