How much low end do Stingray's really have??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bassdude15, Jan 26, 2014.

1. Bassdude15

Bassdude15

Ive been seeing a particular type of stingray quite often online:Ash body, flame maple neck, 3-band eq, and a honey burst finish. With a tort guard one of these would float my boat…
    I used to hate them and only played them in shops a couple times, but my question is:
    What would a stingray sound like with the bass all the way up, treble&midrange boosted just slightly, playing close to the neck with a heavy pick (about 1.4mm), and maybe Chromes or Rotosound flats?
  2. Stone Soup

Stone Soup

A quick trip to the music store is in order. ;)
  3. catgut

catgut

Yes. Why don't you materialize your question. And maybe even take in your rig. I'm pretty sure if you were serious they may restring it for you or you could bring in your own set of flats. If not, go somewhere else.
  4. JonnyAngle

JonnyAngle

You don't need to boost anything. Turn the treble down instead. ...dub style
  5. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Alot. The EQ on a Stingray is quite powerful. Dialing up the mids and cutting the highs will help too.
  6. mbelue

mbelue

I thought the stingray preamp was boost only?
  7. Maxdusty

Maxdusty Supporting Member

Haven't tried it with flats but as mentioned above, it's got a lot of bass to it - I only have a 2 band EQ on mine- I imagine a 3 band can give you even more control.
  8. ModuMan

ModuMan How many is too many? Supporting Member

3-band is boost and cut. 2-band might as well be since the extremes are...extreme.
  9. Geri O

Geri O

The Stingray has plenty of low end for me with all 3 EQ controls set flat. I get any extra low end I need from the amp. It has the character that I'm after. I'll take care of EQ needs at the amp.

(and the ceramic pup doesn't hurt, either...:D)
  10. Jim C

Jim C Supporting Member

I believe that a Stingray with the bass pot up puts out more extreme low end than most any other basses.
    Try this: Set your amp with your standard bass and push the stings toward the pups and and pull them back; do it a few time and you get to see how the cones reacts.
    Now pick up a Stingray (volume adjusted to be equal), and perform the same test. I've seen cones flap severely and are moving slower. An SWR will really deliver this bottom.
    I pull it out but a lot of players dig it - just be listening and looking at the drivers if you push real hard.
    These bad boys have extreme range at bottom and top; John K once remarked that Leo's hearing was maybe not as sensitive and the extremes were pushed.
    Kinda like taking the tissue off the NS-10's and thinking all was well.
  11. Geri O

Geri O

Glad to see someone remembers that scenario besides me!...:D