1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

How much power/wattage do I need???

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Eatapeach1965, Dec 22, 2013.

1. Eatapeach1965

Eatapeach1965

I'm sorry to ask a question that's most likely been beaten to death. I did poke around ,but didn't find what I was looking for.

I'm looking for a combo for Blues/ classic rock jamming with the guys...Moderate-Loud volume.I have played guitar with these guys,and have lost touch with them,or I'd ask what he used.

So, No big rooms like clubs etc.. There's a PA if need to L/O to. Forr the occasional back hard party.

I see some say that 300watts is the min they'd go out with.

Thanks for any input

I'm in research mode and have looked at TC Electroics BG250,Some GK of the same range..
    The Acoustic B200, and a couple of others..
    And been reading good things about all of them..budgetary-wise,could one get by with the 100-200 watt amps..

2. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

For low volume, checkout the G-K MB110 and MB112-II.

For moderate volume, checkout the G-K MB115-II or MB210-II.

For loud volume, checkout the G-K MB212-II. Or MB410-II, and add a 410MBP power cab for really LOUD volume.
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ampl...ger-mb410-500w-4x10-ultralight-bass-combo-amp http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ampl...410mbp-4x10-bass-powered-speaker-cabinet-500w

3. claytitan

claytitan

In general. If you have PA support, 250-300 watts with a 2 x 10 or 1 x 15 minimum. Actually an above average 1 x 12 can do it if it can handle the watts. For what you want to do I'd get a 1 x 15 that can handle some watts. Might want to get the matching second cab in case you ever need the volume.

With no PA support I like to have at least a 2 x 12. Probably two of those cabs would be better if you are outdoors. A 4 x 10 should definitely be able to do what you need to do if you want just one cab.

4. seamonkey

seamonkey

Well if watts is all you want

LOUD/Mackie sells a 2000w 8" powered speaker. 125db at 1M
    http://www.mackie.com/products/dlmseries/data/

Don't pass over a "150w" or "200w" combo for a "300w" combo when the lower wattage brand/amp/combos may be just as loud and sound better. Try before you buy.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. swamp_bass

swamp_bass I love it when a groove comes together Supporting Member

To that point, I have a borrowed Rumble 60 that is easily twice as loud as some other brand's 100W combos I tried at the store. Definitely good to try before you buy if the option's there.

7. Dave W

Dave W Previously bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

300 watts and a decent 2X12 or 4X10 will be more than adequate for most situations.

8. Eatapeach1965

Eatapeach1965

Thanks all. ..
    I was wondering about that as I have experienced it with guitar amps..

Could you guys point to some ( more) classic sounding, affordable $200-$450 12"o r 15" combos?

9. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Supporting Member

10. Eatapeach1965

Eatapeach1965

I didn't think of Carvin!!!

11. bigboy_78

bigboy_78

you need as much power as you can afford to buy.

12. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Supporting Member

You can't go wrong with Carvin in that price range. And the full size combos come in under 500 as well. Add an extension cabinet down the road and you have a rig worthy of serious gigging.

13. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Find an Ampeg B100R. Perfect for blues, plenty of volume, and the best sounding combo out there.

14. kikstand454

kikstand454 Supporting Member

This.

If transporting it isn't a problem....the accoustic b200h is a loud, great sounding amp for cheap. I have been using one as my primary rig for about 3 years now. Its great.
    I run it through a 410 and its plenty loud enough for most situations....even at 8ohms.

If portability is a concern ( and it has become my main one....)
    Then a micro head class d ( gk mb200/500, LMII. or III, BG250...ETC) and a 212, 2x112, or 2x115 is apparently the way to go. ( at least that's my next purchase...).

15. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

I gig regularly with a 200 watt tube amp and 1-2 fifteen inch speakers.

16. Eatapeach1965

Eatapeach1965

Adding about the Carvin micros... Don't see anything about how they are voiced..
    Vintage/modern?

17. Melonthief

Melonthief

How hard does your drummer hit? What does the guitar player play through? You need to be able to get enough stage volume to hear yourself with the drums and other instruments without pushing your rig so hard that it distorts.
    The front of house mix is out of your control so in reality unless you are playing arenas anything over 300w is overkill. Even in an arena all your rig needs to do is shape your tone and provide stage volume.

18. Icculus

Icculus

19. Icculus

Icculus

It's also as much or more amp than you'll need for less $ than those that have been listed.

20. Bass_Thumper

Bass_Thumper

I gigged for years with a 300 watt GK Backline head into an avatar 2x12 4 ohm cab and never had an issue. Got a lot of miles out of that rig.

21. Eatapeach1965

Eatapeach1965

Wow...they seem great,and what a deal!!! How is it possible when all other places are selling at twice as much...

I think that may be the one I go for bass on power,options and weight..

Thanks for that.

Still in research mode so any more suggestions are welcome.
    The Carvins are reading very good too