1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

How much shellac flakes to buy??

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by twofathomsdeep, Nov 13, 2012.

1. twofathomsdeep

twofathomsdeep

I've decided to use shellac with a Preval sprayer to seal my neck. Since I'm only using it for that, how much would be enough to buy? I don't really want to have to throw down like $30 on a pound or something.
  2. Turnaround

Turnaround

Disclosures:
    Bass Technician, Club Bass - Toronto
    Why not use some prepared shellac? I would recommend the Zinsser product below. It is advertised as a sanding sealer, but it is just shellac.

[​IMG]

The important thing about this shellac is that it is wax free. That means it will dry harder and won't be gummy. The image is of a gallon can, but it is available in small quantities as well.
  3. twofathomsdeep

twofathomsdeep

I don't really want to use something out of a can because I've heard it works best the fresher it is and plenty of people on several other boards suggest people mix their own. I'm sure this might be the cheapest route, but I'm also trying to find the medium ground in order to get the highest quality within my means.