How much should my group charge for this gig?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bassnomer, Feb 2, 2014.

1. Bassnomer

Bassnomer

I'm in a Los Angeles based trio, and we've been contacted about playing a gig in Philadelphia for a organization that puts on black tie benefit gigs. They are paying for plane tickets, hotel rooms, food, and the shipping of the equipment.

They're asking for our price to perform. We will be performing anywhere from 1-3 hours and possibly 1-2 nights.

How much should we charge per hour? Our standard sets are one hour long each.

What would the standard be for something like this?

Thanks
  2. Duuuuuuuuuude

Duuuuuuuuuude

Where I live, wedding bands charge $2000-$5000. Multiply that X2 and you have $4000-$10000.
  3. Bassnomer

Bassnomer

Is that charge for the whole gig? How many hours do they typically play? And do they charge for travel time?
  4. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Nope. It's $10,000 an hour plus travel, hotel, food, etc.

/sarcasm
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. kikstand454

kikstand454 Supporting Member

Man.... if you're getting comped living expenses and you only have to play 3 hours twice...... I'd go as low as you feel comfortable asking for. Make the client feel good and relieve the stress all around.
    I personally would do that gig EASILY at 600 a man.
    That's a hundred dollars and hour. With no expenses.

Damn.... have fun!
  7. MrLenny1

MrLenny1 Supporting Member

$5000 per night.
    GLWTG sounds great to me.
    My trio was offered $2500 to play a private event
    4 hours away from home once.
  8. Marginal Tom

Marginal Tom

If you assume that it takes 48 hours to fly from LA to Philadelphia, play six hours over two nights and fly home, that's $12.50 per hour, not $100 per hour. If all three band members want to make the trip, that might be enough.
  9. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

I don't know what conclusion to draw from the following, but I'll mention it anyway.
    It's a bit of a double-edged sword...

There are lots of great musicians in and around Philadelphia (which is itself less than an hour from NYC).

If they want to fly you guys in from LA, you must have something very special to offer.
    OTOH - I'd guess you don't want to give them much incentive (e.g. cost) to just look local...

I would love to know what genre of music you're playing that's in such demand in Philly !
  10. jmac

jmac

Yeah, me too.
  11. Wesley R

Wesley R

I would attempt to get all the questions answered before qouting the rate.
  12. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

You got this gig on some sort of reputation, what would you normally charge? Charge that.
  13. Joe Murray

Joe Murray

I think that's fair. Charge your normal rate if they're already taking care of flights, etc.
  14. TomasMoreira

TomasMoreira

Wow guys, im always amazed about what i imagine the life of a musician is there on usa. I live on Uruguay, an under developed country, and very hostil with their artistss you know, we only have like, 4 or 5 musicians that live exclusively with the money that the get from the music. And if you are not one of the 20 more popular bands, not only you dont get paid to have a gig, you got to pay to have a gig jajaja. I am very proud , that although that condition, we have incredible musicians in here.

I think that if you can play whithout paying anything you are great, the payment is the fun and the expirience, what you get over ther is a plus!

cheers!

Pd: sorry about my horrible english :mad:
  15. Richland123

Richland123

It might be easier and cheaper to have them rent similar equipment locally than to ship amps, drums, etc. Just fly with your guitars.
  16. Bassnomer

Bassnomer

Holy crap, you guys are great! Thanks for all the responses.

Lets see...

- We play mostly adult contemporary. Things ranging from bossa nova to Monica Mancini to Charlotte Church. Our singer is a classically trained soprano, and is pretty versatile.

- We don't really have a reputation, as we're just starting to go after gigs. So, we're not completely sure where to set our price. :confused:

- I had thought about just flying with our guitars and and using rented equipment. We'll have to discuss that further with them. The event is a number of months away, so we have time to figure out the logistics.