How much sleep do you get?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by slobake, Apr 1, 2014.

?

How much sleep do you get per night?

Poll closed May 1, 2014.
  1. 1-2 hours

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 3-4 hours

4 vote(s)
    3.3%
  3. 5 hours

20 vote(s)
    16.5%
  4. 6 hours

40 vote(s)
    33.1%
  5. 7 hours

36 vote(s)
    29.8%
  6. 8 hours

11 vote(s)
    9.1%
  7. 9 hours

4 vote(s)
    3.3%
  8. 10 or more hours

2 vote(s)
    1.7%
  9. Rust never sleeps and neither do carrots

4 vote(s)
    3.3%
  1. slobake

slobake Supporting Member

I am lucky if I can get seven hours, sometimes it is more like six hours. There is just too many things I want to do. Everything I read says I should be getting more sleep. I am over 60-years old and I don't know where the energy comes from. I prefer a bicycle to a rocking chair. :hyper: Maybe it's all the caffiene. ;) Or it could be my diet, hey I don't know.
    What is the solution? Is there a solution? Should I even care?
    What about you, how much sleep do you get? Do you think it is enough?
  2. Bloodhammer

Bloodhammer Twinkle Twinkle Black Star Supporting Member

Sleep is a waste of time anyway.

I get bare minimum, although I don't want to in the morning.
  3. pedroims

pedroims

I go to bed at 9pm , fall asleep around 10pm and wake up by 3 am but will get out of bed at 4, brew coffee and practice bass, this routine is Monday to Sunday.

If matters, I have a job that is Monday - Friday 9 to 5 but I am usually at office by 6 am.

My grand dad was like that and he lived till he was 101 and die peaceful at home while sleeping so I think I am ok sleeping few hours. My only recommendation is make sure that you lack of sleeping is not because you have problems.
  4. Haji

Haji

I always end up staying up too late screwing around when I should be sleeping. It takes a toll after a while; middle of the day on Wednesday is pretty rough.
  5. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

Media:
    My alarm goes off ever morning at 615am. I leave my house around 730am and get home around 1000pm on average. Usually, I'll need to shower and eat, maybe catch half an hour of television. I probably average 6.5 hours sleep/night. More would be nice, but not nice enough to pass up on the rest of life.
  6. Phalex

Phalex Yeah, I've got the moves like Jagger. Supporting Member

I have sleep apnea, which wasn't all that horrible until the CPAP machine...... I can't sleep without the damn thing now, and it consistently wakes me up at 3:30am, and about every 20 minutes thereafter.

The good news is my sleep doctor says my odds of dying in my sleep are pretty small. The bad news is that his opinion is only correct because I don't sleep.....

My life kinda sucks.
  7. hover

hover

Phalex, I am in the same boat, yet the CPAP was an utter failure for me. TOo constricting, and when the seal broke and then re-sealed, the rush of air pressure would throw me into a panic attack. I simply gave up after trying for 4 months, and sleeping actually LESS than before. Hundreds of dollars in multiple variations of masks...all down the drain. I still have the machine.

I am looking at the Pillar procedure, as it's showing some promise in this regard, but as an elective procedure of course it's all out of pocket,and there's no hard-fast guarantees, as it's more aimed at snoring and mild OSA.
  8. Phalex

Phalex Yeah, I've got the moves like Jagger. Supporting Member

I looked at the Pillar, but it seemed that if they prescribed CPAP, it wasn't good enough.

I hope it works for you. I hate the damn CPAP!
  9. ZenG

ZenG

I prefer napping to sleeping.

When I'm napping, I Know I'm napping..it's like being awake enough to enjoy your sleep.

When I'm asleep I don't remember any of it.......I almost never ever dream.

On average I'm asleep about 6 minutes after I go to bed.

I sleep about 7 hours.

I'm kind of a night owl........I never go to bed early.
  10. ErebusBass

ErebusBass

Never enough.
  11. hover

hover

Thanks. What was awful for me, is I never once fell asleep successfully with CPAP during my tests, and they prescribed it anyway. Oy.
  12. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister Supporting Member

I have a CPAP, and I love it. Works great and I get a good nights rest. For years when I was in construction I would wear a mask while working, so it wasn't a big deal to get used to it. I have the nasal pillows instead of a full mask that covers my mouth and nose completely.

-Mike
  13. slobake

I use a mouth piece that pushes my lower jaw forward and opens the air passages in my throat. I have been using one for about 5 years. I no longer wake myself up by snoring plus I don"t keep my wife awake. I got the last one on Amazon for about $15. I need a new one and I noticed they are not on Amazon anymore. There are other online sources to get these.
  14. slobake

Sorry to hear this Phalex.
  15. carl h.

carl h.

Post a link, if you could, when you find a new source. I should probably try something like you are talking about.
  16. Milk

Milk Supporting Member

I said 7. I have generally two phases during a year. the one where I sleep 6 hours. And the one where i sleep 8. Sometimes it's 7 but usually it's either. So that rounds up to 7. If I sleep 5 I can function if it's only a day. I i sleep four, i'll have a hard day and will struggle in the second half. Anything less and I can't function. Once in a while i'll have a 9 hours night. I don't think I've ever slept more than ten. That happens maybe once a year at the most that I make it to ten.

I have had occasional insomnia, if I don't sleep for a day i'm a wreck. Mentally, emotionally... it triggers my anxiety and then it can really destroy me. Once I hadn't slept for 4 days because of insomnia and anxiety (they feed on each other). I ended up at the hospital, the doctor said I was in no danger but just needed sleep. I felt like I was gonna have a heart attack and I kept freaking out/crying. I hate going to bed. I'm always worried it'll be one of those nights I can't sleep. I put off sleep for as long as I can.
  17. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

I get between 4 and 6 a night.. depending on if I am on call .. like I am this week...
  18. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    I put 6 but that's more like an average. I'm a night owl of the highest order. Always awake until midnight or 2 in the morning even if I'm doing nothing during that time. Always get up and dash out of the house at the last second. Sometimes it will all catch up with me and I'll get cranky and go to sleep shortly after I get off work one day and won't wake up until I'm dashing out to make it to work on time the next day. Then sometimes I'll be up 'till 3 in the morning and still wake up in time.

Like I say, 6 is an average...arrived at through many widely varied swings.

At 41, I don't spring back quite as quick as I used to, but I still figure I'll get enough sleep when I'm dead.

I enjoy being up at night and sleeping through mornings. Don't know why, just the way it is. I feel confident the sun is going to rise and don't feel the need to get up and witness it to make sure it happens.

Although, when the little ones are over (SO's grandkids), I'll be up at the buttcrack of dawn, making them breakfast, taking them to school, etc. Funny how kids can turn you into a real life Superman.
  19. Milk

Milk Supporting Member

I don't earn a living with a regular dayjob so i'm usually in bed anytime between 4am to 6am...

It's been like this most of my life, except when I went to school and when I had a regular dayjob of course....

Rare are the days when i'm in bed before 4am... The earlier ill get down to is 2am maybe, if there's a reason I need to be up early the following day.

It depresses me to go to bed before that.
  20. BullHorn

BullHorn

I sometimes sleep less than 5 hours because I just can't force myself to go to sleep, the internet is too interesting.

Usually I'll sleep for 5.5-6.5 hours... and it usually feels like it's not enough.