How much would it cost to put Precision pups on a mustang bass?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by michaelstrand, Nov 24, 2012.

?

Would it be worth it to replace mustang pups with p-bass pups for ease of playing?

1. yes

16 vote(s)
    19.5%
  2. no

66 vote(s)
    80.5%
  1. michaelstrand

michaelstrand

I would only want to replace the 'stang pups with p bass pups because i like to rest my thumb on the top of the pup and i find this hard to do on a mustang. Yes, i know i could adopt the floating thumb technique, and i still might. I'm just wondering what it would cost to put in P bass pickups instead.

thanks.
  2. line6man

line6man

Why not add a thumbrest? Changing the pickup is going to change the entire tone of the bass, unless you are careful to select a pickup that is voiced the same as the original. Or maybe try to fit the original pickup in a split coil cover, if it fits.

The most inexpensive way to do this would be to find a friend with a drill press and make a crude swimming pool route with a forstner bit. Then you can trace your pickguard (or mail off the real thing), and have someone cut you an identical one with a split coil route.
  3. Flabass

Flabass Supporting Member

Thumbrest
  4. Salamenster

Salamenster

Thumbrest i.c.w. floating thumb.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned

Disclosures:
    Owner, SGD Music Products
  7. michaelstrand

michaelstrand

I'm having a hard time finding what it would look like to have the thumb rest above the strings..
  8. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned

Disclosures:
    Really? I Googled for a Mustang bass and found this photo. This is how they were in the 70s. You can move the thumb rest if you want to pluck closer to the pickup.

[​IMG]

Another.

[​IMG]
  9. line6man

line6man

Or something more like this.
    [​IMG]
  10. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned

Disclosures:
    Of course back in the 50s the finger rest was here:

[​IMG]

That's because electric basses were designed to be played with a pick (by guitarists). ;)
  11. Signs

Signs

Attached Files:

12. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned

Disclosures:
    They are cool little basses, and get a unique tone. I own a '72 Mustang guitar. It used to be my favorite guitar, but the celluloid pickguard warped, but it's disassembled while I restore it.
  13. michaelstrand

michaelstrand

yeah I'm really excited to get one. kinda waiting for the right one at the right price I guess
  14. StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger Neo Maxie Zoom Dweebie Supporting Member

Actually I thought it was there to "tug" with your fingers while playing with your thumb.
  15. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned

Disclosures:
    You can do that, but who ever played with their thumb? (besides Monk Montgomery, and he had to switch to a rubber coated pick later on). Upright players wouldn't be using their thumb to play pizzicato on an electric. They would use the technique they already had. And upright players wouldn't need frets.

When I first started playing, I got an instruction book and it showed to use a felt pick, which I actually tried. Those picks are nasty!

Most of the sessions back then still had upright basses, and a guitarist doubling on tic-tack bass, which was often a Danelectro 6 string bass.

And then look at the two famous guitarist that switched to bass and played with a pick; Carol Kaye and Joe Osborn.
  16. michaelstrand

michaelstrand

that's what I thought as well.
  17. Arvin

Arvin Underwound Supporting Member

Thumbrest, stuck down with double-sided tape (the spongy kind). That way, you can experiment with it for a while and decide if you really want one, and if so, where you want it.
  18. michaelstrand

michaelstrand

good idea, I'd hate to drill holes for a thumb rest only to find I don't like it or it's too high up or something
  19. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    Since it's a Fender there's probably a much larger route under the pickguard than is needed, so you could probably try this without any permanent mods to the bass.
  20. michaelstrand

michaelstrand

good to know