1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

How much would you pay for this bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by snowdog2, Jan 21, 2014.

1. snowdog2

snowdog2 Supporting Member

I'm considering buying this steinberger QX25. How much is it worth? Comes with case and string adapter and a new bartolini preamp. ImageUploadedByTalkBass1390334862.554569.jpg ImageUploadedByTalkBass1390334877.637705.jpg ImageUploadedByTalkBass1390334887.237111.jpg

2. pfox14

pfox14

Based on what I've seen on eBay - $800-1000

3. FourBanger

FourBanger

I'll give you 15 Bob for it.

(sorry I just saw the movie with that line, anybody name it?)

4. snowdog2

No idea, what is it?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. pedroims

pedroims

I had one but dont remember the country where it was made, i bought it and sold it for $300

7. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. Nice bass.

8. FourBanger

FourBanger

30 Bob and she's yours!

I mean, correct.

9. Be_eM

Be_eM

Wow, so many helpful comments… this is a Steinberger XQ2, made in USA (1994, Nashville era), and has a little irregularity with the serial number. A high number like this (15xxx) should have a "TN" (Nashville, TN) prefix, not an "N" (Newburgh). However, to my best knowledge there's nothing wrong with this bass, and I've seen it go for more than $2k on ebay in 2012. Well, this price looks to high, as the XQ bass is not as sought after as the XL, but I think a value of $1,200 to $1,600 (like the XM) seems reasonable. Also depends on the overall condition, of course.

Minor edit: just saw those new bartolini pickups. I don't think they're original, therefore probably less value, not more, at least among the Steinberger community.

10. snowdog2

Thanks for your help! He's asking $1500

11. Be_eM

Be_eM

I'd try to meet somewhere around $1,400. Steinie fans are very picky with non-original parts, at least the collectors among them. However, as a "player" which you like and plan to keep it may be well worth the $1,500 as well.

12. Dluxe

Dluxe Supporting Member

I had a Nashville era XQ 4 string bass and it had the Barts in it. I believe they were an option at that time.

13. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

Oh man I had one almost just like that from the same era. I loved that thing, bought it brand new in probably 1994 or 5. $1100 from Musicians Friend! Mine had Basslines pickups, not sure about the preamp. I also got a matching 4 string later on and it did have Bartolini pickups so they could be original. Never seen Barts with a white logo though.

All that being said, I personally thing $1500 is way too much for these. It's not a 'real' Steinberger. But if it's worth that to you, it is a good bass. I'm thinking more like $700 but I'm no expert. Especially considering you can get a used Zon or Modulus for $1500 or less (if you're wanting a graphite neck).

14. Be_eM

Be_eM

Huh? It is. Just not an L-type. But designed by Ned, built in USA, so what is not "real" here?

15. SaneseBass

SaneseBass Banned

That one has wide string spacing. Those tend to cost more.

16. Be_eM

Be_eM

This applies to XL2-5 basses, which are VERY expensive if they have a wide spacing. In contrast to those the XQ25 basses all had the wide spacing, without exception.