1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

How much would you pay for this bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by snowdog2, Jan 21, 2014.

1. snowdog2

snowdog2 Supporting Member

I'm considering buying this steinberger QX25. How much is it worth? Comes with case and string adapter and a new bartolini preamp. ImageUploadedByTalkBass1390334862.554569.jpg ImageUploadedByTalkBass1390334877.637705.jpg ImageUploadedByTalkBass1390334887.237111.jpg
  2. pfox14

pfox14

Based on what I've seen on eBay - $800-1000
  3. FourBanger

FourBanger

I'll give you 15 Bob for it.

(sorry I just saw the movie with that line, anybody name it?)
  4. snowdog2

No idea, what is it?
  5. pedroims

pedroims Supporting Member

I had one but dont remember the country where it was made, i bought it and sold it for $300
  6. wvbass

wvbass

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. Nice bass.
  7. FourBanger

FourBanger

30 Bob and she's yours!

I mean, correct.
  8. Be_eM

Be_eM

Wow, so many helpful comments… this is a Steinberger XQ2, made in USA (1994, Nashville era), and has a little irregularity with the serial number. A high number like this (15xxx) should have a "TN" (Nashville, TN) prefix, not an "N" (Newburgh). However, to my best knowledge there's nothing wrong with this bass, and I've seen it go for more than $2k on ebay in 2012. Well, this price looks to high, as the XQ bass is not as sought after as the XL, but I think a value of $1,200 to $1,600 (like the XM) seems reasonable. Also depends on the overall condition, of course.

Minor edit: just saw those new bartolini pickups. I don't think they're original, therefore probably less value, not more, at least among the Steinberger community.
  9. snowdog2

Thanks for your help! He's asking $1500
  10. Be_eM

Be_eM

I'd try to meet somewhere around $1,400. Steinie fans are very picky with non-original parts, at least the collectors among them. However, as a "player" which you like and plan to keep it may be well worth the $1,500 as well.
  11. Dluxe

Dluxe Supporting Member

I had a Nashville era XQ 4 string bass and it had the Barts in it. I believe they were an option at that time.
  12. mmbongo

mmbongo Supporting Member

Oh man I had one almost just like that from the same era. I loved that thing, bought it brand new in probably 1994 or 5. $1100 from Musicians Friend! Mine had Basslines pickups, not sure about the preamp. I also got a matching 4 string later on and it did have Bartolini pickups so they could be original. Never seen Barts with a white logo though.

All that being said, I personally thing $1500 is way too much for these. It's not a 'real' Steinberger. But if it's worth that to you, it is a good bass. I'm thinking more like $700 but I'm no expert. Especially considering you can get a used Zon or Modulus for $1500 or less (if you're wanting a graphite neck).
  13. Be_eM

Be_eM

Huh? It is. Just not an L-type. But designed by Ned, built in USA, so what is not "real" here?
  14. SaneseBass

SaneseBass

That one has wide string spacing. Those tend to cost more.
  15. Be_eM

Be_eM

This applies to XL2-5 basses, which are VERY expensive if they have a wide spacing. In contrast to those the XQ25 basses all had the wide spacing, without exception.