How often do you change your strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Monk Of Funk, Dec 22, 2013.

1. Monk Of Funk

Monk Of Funk

I was wondering how often double bassists will change their strings.

I'm considering getting strings for somebody. I play guitar but not acoustic bass, and I know double bass strings are much more expensive, and they get replaced less often, but i'm just wondering how often, and also actually, if there perhaps some different sorts of preferences of strings or sort of strings that some people swear by, that others may not have tried.

Something like elixir nanoweb strings for acoustic guitar. Someone may have never tried coated strings before, but they are awesome, so, something like that, but in the double bass world, might make a cool gift.

2. DC Bass

DC Bass Supporting Member

Hey Monk,

It's very kind and generous of you to think of your bass playing colleague!

This is a VERY gross generalization, but "usually" double bassists change their strings anywhere from once a year (ish) to once every two to five years- depending on a LOT of variables. Some players will leave strings on for a decade or more.

To answer the question in the thread title, I was changing strings every year or so on my main bass, but I've recently changed back to Thomastik Spirocore strings which enjoy a reputation for longevity- so I'm prolly set for the next three or four years- or till I get "the itch" of "string fever"...

Buying DB strings as a gift can be a tricky proposition- there are many different "flavors"- and they can be pricey- most of the popular sets average around two hundred dollars (US) or so.

Hope this helps!

Best wishes,

Joe

3. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike

I had the same question. Just put spirocore mittels on my bass and love them. Not cheap...

4. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    It might be best to check and see what's on their bass first and go from there.

That way you'll be in the general family of strings that they like to play ie, steel synthetic, gut. Giving a set of nylon strings to a bluegrass guitar player would be an empty gesture, right? ;)

Or you could just ask if there's something they've been wanting to try. Either way, its a fine thing you're doing.

Merry Christmas!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Lee Moses

Lee Moses

I would like a set of Belcantos. Thank you! :hyper:

But seriously, what kind of strings the bassist would want depend on what style of music he will be playing. There's been some recent hype about LaBella's new White Tapewound strings, developed with Ron Carter. You can get coated strings, as well. But they are probably not ideal for someone who plays much arco.

7. MostlyBass

MostlyBass Supporting Member

Every 12 to 18 months. I usually use Pirastro Obligatos or Pirasto Flat-Chromesteels although this week I'm experimenting with D'Addario Kaplans. The next string change will be back to Flat-Chromesteels.

8. Monk Of Funk

Monk Of Funk

thanks guys for all your responses! Not fully sure exactly which strings I'll get, but I think it will either be exactly what he already has, or potentially if the sales person could sell me on something a bit different, but that won't be easy.