1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

How should a string action sit?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by IbbyMonster, Jun 24, 2013.

1. IbbyMonster

IbbyMonster

Should the strings sit above the freboard alliging to the fretboard's radius curve like a very slight C Shape facing down or should all strings sit at the same height flat?
  2. schecter5string

schecter5string

Following the curve of the FB.
  3. billgwx

billgwx Supporting Member

If you adjust string action according to distance between the top of the frets and the bottom of the strings, they'll naturally align to the fretboard radius curve. If you set them flat the outer strings will have higher action, which I can't imagine being desirable.
  4. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

+1

Plus, you can set the lighter strings a little lower to the board because they don't travel as far as the big strings.

I generally set my E string, fretted at the first fret, at about 3mm at the 12th fret. A string, a little less, D a little less, and the G at about 2.5mm.
  5. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

6. billgwx

billgwx Supporting Member

One thing in that Sadowsky setup guide above that I don't understand is why he sets the action by capo'ing at the first fret to take nut slot height out of the equation? I tried that just for laughs, using his recommended setup for low action on my J-bass, and the only real difference compared to Fender specs was that it gave me slightly lower action on the lighter strings.
  7. Frumius

Frumius

I set up my strings at the lowest level that gives me no buzz on each string. Can't think of a reason to go higher than that.
  8. liveburning274

liveburning274

You would get more "ring" out of your strings when popping or slap/plucking your strings if it's higher. It just depends on your style, some people never slap and hence don't need to hear the extra ring out from the strings.
  9. IbbyMonster

IbbyMonster

You guys are awesome! I was able to set up my action perfectly :)
  10. darkstorm

darkstorm

Mostly its a case of adjust acton to personal preference. This doesnt need measurements. Just paying attention to feel and sound. Usually the middle two strings will be slightly higher then the two outside strings due to fretboard curve. But its still down to set action by feel and playing preference between strings etc. No measurements needed. Theres been times after setting action I'll go back and tweak one strings height a half or qurter turn of adjustment screws on saddle either higher or lower. Based on playhing back and forth between that string and adjacent. This has absolutely nothing to do with looking to see where string is height wise in relation to neighbor strings really. And all to do with actual playing responce. .