1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

How similar are EB-0's to P-basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dbt25677, Nov 30, 2013.

1. Dbt25677

Dbt25677

Tonally wise?
    I know that the pickup on the EB-0 is stationed right at the bridge and the P-bass' is closer to the middle, does this affect the sound majorly?

Comparing a, lets say, Squier Affinity P-bass to an Epiphone EB-0, which would be better for achieving (I'd hate to say 'punk tone', but) punk tone? Like for The Clash, etc.

Thanks

2. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

p bass, definitely. the eb-0 would just be too muddy for that aggressive style imo, being a short scale, and having that especially dark pup so far away from the bridge. the p would have a much more focused tone. however, i would buy a used squier vintage modified p waaay before a affinity. they're just way better instruments, and run the same used as an affinity new (more or less).

3. Salamenster

Salamenster

P bass. EB-0's are cool if you want dub or mud, but no punky stuff. The P has a definition the EB-0 has not.

4. Dbt25677

Dbt25677

I'd love to get a vintage modified but I can't find any within my price range really...
    I found an Epiphone EB-0 for 60 BUCKS on Gumtree!!! This is Australian dollars, too.

And what are the improvements between the Affinity series and VM's? Because the Affinities are made with Alder (apparently) and the VM's are made with Agathis.
    http://www.fender.com/squier/basses...ty-precision-bass-rosewood-fingerboard-black/
    and
    http://www.fender.com/squier/basses...sion-bass-rosewood-fingerboard-olympic-white/

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

ive a-b'ed the affinity and the vm in my local guitar center a couple times, and the vm always just felt more stable, if that makes sense. the construction just felt tighter and more rigid, like it could handle more abuse. also, plugged in, the electronics were much better in the vm, especially the pickup. just sounded tighter, punchier, and clearer. the affinity just felt and sounded kinda meh, not bad, but not too clear, not very full, and definitely a lesser quality instrument than the vm. just felt cheaper. however, the eb-0 on the wall felt much, much worse than the affinity in my hands. now, im not a gibson man, but still, i can appreciate a good instrument. but that epi was not good at all.

7. antonspon

antonspon

Chalk and cheese! The EB0 is all-mahogany and short scale - even with a P-bass pickup it would sound darker. The pickup itself, positioned at the neck (more bassy than P-bass mid-position), is a "mudbucker", a massive humbucker with huge coils (DC resistance around 30k, about 3 times the norm!) which pretty much cuts ALL high-frequency response - as someone else pointed out, great for dub/reggae, but don't expect piano-like clarity, it simply can't!

I'm talking about the real (Gibson) EB0, have no experience with the Epiphone, though.

8. davedblyoo

davedblyoo "All the mayhem and none of the sticky mess." Supporting Member

Paul Simonon used a fretless Precision way back in his Clash days...

9. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

I would opt for a Squier Affinity over an Epiphone EBO all day long ... lots of room for potential on the Squier, an Epi EBO is pretty much a one trick pony, as mentioned above ...

Edit to add: when asking about comparisons between Affinities and VM's, yes there can be a difference, but there also can be a pretty substantial difference even between the different VM's ... especially with all the new models that they are adding .. I have had VM's over 10# and under 7#, some made of agathis, basswood and maple ... JMHO

10. hsech

hsech Smile. Life is short. Gold Supporting Member

I have a Gibson SG Standard Bass. Personally I like the big honcho neck humbucker. You can tweak your amps EQ and get a good sound with it. It takes a little work, but you can use it for just about any style of music. I've been playing Gibson short scale basses with that same pickup for many years and although more of a deep bass sound, it fits all the styles of music I play.