1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

How soon do you change strings before something important?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by catcauphonic, Mar 22, 2014.

1. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies

I'm not asking how often you change strings, but specifically how fresh do you like them when you have a gig or a recording session coming up?

Do you like the 'new string zing' and change them the day of or before you are doing something? Or do you prefer them broken in for a long period?? Perhaps you're somewhere in the middle ... if so, what is your preferential time frame?

(Could be strings in general, or if you have different break-in period for different ones .. please specify.)

2. Humbled

Humbled Supporting Member

Two weeks. General rule, mellowing time, before I'm going to be happy enough with nickel-rounds before something "important".

But that's just me.

3. Stone Soup

Stone Soup

Playing them in for a few days is usually good for me.

4. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom Supporting Member

for gigs, I don't care. I change 'em about every year and a half or so.

for recording, I've got broken in flats, and if roundwounds are needed I'll change 'em no sooner than 2 days in advance.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies

Personally, I do like that new string zing that comes right out of the package. The Spector I'm playing has sustain for days .. even with strings that are near dead! I find new ones make my bassline writing a little different in a way that uses more hammer ons and long ringing notes. I'm still on my personal fave string quest, so I've been changing them more often than need be so far.

7. jmverdugo

jmverdugo

Changing strings? I'm sorry I don't know what you are talking about... ;)

8. maturanesa

maturanesa

9. mcarp555

mcarp555

I don't like the sound of new strings. My P-bass still has strings I put on it in the 80's (roundwounds). Tunes and intonates just fine.

10. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

I just try to avoid same-day changes. Optimal is a few days to a week. I like the new string zingy brightness, but I want to make sure they're going to stay in tune. Tuning them a half step sharp for a day can speed up the break in time.

11. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Gold Supporting Member

few days for a gig, 1 - 2 weeks for recording.

12. Thisguy

Thisguy

Two days. Gives me a couple days break in to get them where I like'em.

13. rfslick

rfslick

I like fresh round wounds every 6 months.
    Two things I've learned recently after 45 years:
    Put a bend in the string ahead of where you cut it off, to prevent unraveling when you cut it.
    Do not stretch your strings. Install them, bring them up to tune and play them for ten minutes, then repeat. Stretching them prematurely removes life from them.

14. MegaSwing

MegaSwing Your Obedient Bassist® Gold Supporting Member

Couple days, just to get the harshness out of them.

15. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

Interesting! I'll buy that. But then, I change mine every few months. Not sure how much it would affect me.

16. SBassman

SBassman

Disclosures:
    PiccoBass Dealer
    I don't, either. :D

17. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I love the night life, I got to boogie....
    I love new stainless strings and would change them the day of every gig if I could afford it.

For recording, I prefer the strings to have a good week or two of use on them.

18. bluesdogblues

bluesdogblues

I go the Greats; JJ, DD, JO route. LB Flatwound and never change it. Feels good, sounds good, everyone satisfied, including my wallet :)

#specifically how fresh do you like them when you have a gig or a recording session coming up?
    I like them to be just as they are since first time I put them on + their natural aging.

#Do you like the 'new string zing' and change them the day of or before you are doing something?
    I hate 'new string zing'..so, no.

#Or do you prefer them broken in for a long period?? Perhaps you're somewhere in the middle ... if so, what is your preferential time frame?
    I wish I can keep my backup set of LB strings in it's boxes as long as possible.

19. Duckwater

Duckwater

With flats I like them as old as possible, but I dig them when they're brand new as well. I could record with flats right after stringing them up no problem.

With rounds I prefer them to be as fresh and flexible as possible for their responsiveness and ease of playing, though I hang onto my sets that still sound good. I like at least a few days to play in roundwounds but it's not a big deal.

20. rfslick

rfslick

Agreed. But stretching them still removes some of their life.

21. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I love the night life, I got to boogie....
    What type of stretching are you referring to?

I personally install my new strings, tune to 440, play for a few minutes and do a few string bends, retune, play for a few more minutes, retune, and I am done. Bass strings stretch enough to hold a tuning after a few minutes of playing IME.