How spiritual/religious is playing music to you?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by GeezerEntwistle, Dec 20, 2013.

1. GeezerEntwistle

GeezerEntwistle

(yeah I know this might be a silly topic to discuss)

I was sitting around playing last night after the family was asleep. No amp, no goals or practice, just playing. And it occurred to me, as the world went away as it always does, and my "self" drifted away, and I slowly became the music that was coming from my bass, that these are the moments when I am closest to what I would consider God. Its the only time in my life when I absolutely, completely, lose all touch with reality and enter a meditational, almost hypnotic state. My past girlfriends would hate when I reached for a bass or guitar because they knew that I would be turning off for the next few minutes or hours. Luckily my wife understands this and has no issues with it. And its not only when I am playing- my yardstick of knowing when I am seeing truly great music is if they can give me an almost out of body experience. It doesn't happen much, but when it does its amazing.

Is this the same for anyone else?
  2. G00D+~VIBES

G00D+~VIBES

"Music is my religion; it's the only one that delivers the goods" - Zappa

You are not alone.
  3. mellowinman

mellowinman Not a Clique Member Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Not only is Music my Religion, but I feel strongly I have made the right choice.
  4. brianrost

brianrost Supporting Member

It can be spiritual to me. It isn't always, of course.
  5. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

This seems like the kind of thread that belongs in the lobby, but while it lasts...

I think everything human, indeed everything in the world, has something spiritual about it. Music, certainly. Sometimes that connection and significance is more explicit and obvious, sometimes more subtle, but it's always there.
  6. drewfunk

drewfunk

Were you partaking in happy mushrooms when you came to this realization?...
  7. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

Music is what links me to the Earth, to people around me and what keeps me firmly on my feet planted in the ground.
    It is a reality check, much like Zen, pretty much the opposite of a spiritual experience.
  8. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Yes.

Sometimes.

I plan to make it more times.

Thanks for the post.
  9. GeezerEntwistle

GeezerEntwistle

haha close
  10. bass geetarist

bass geetarist Supporting Member

Yes I've had similar experiences. I'm not religious, but I can definitely say that playing music feeds my "soul"
  11. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

"Music, too, treats the sensuous as ideal, and does so by negating, and idealising into the individual isolation of a single point, the indifferent externality of space, whose complete semblance is accepted and imitated by painting. The single point, qua such a negativity (excluding space) is in itself a concrete and active process of positive negation within the attributes of matter, in the shape of a motion and tremor of the material body within itself and in its relation to itself. Such an inchoate ideality of matter, which appears no longer as under the form of space, but as temporal ideality, is sound, the sensuous set down as negated, with its abstract visibility converted into audibility, in as much as sound, so to speak liberates the ideal content from its immersion in matter." - Hegel